Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Workplace Network System  (Read 5385 times)

Ellogg

• Just arrived
Workplace Network System
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »

Alright everyone

This is for some ideas on why?

I have a Laptop which is my own and I take to work I can connect it to the factory network system, wired and surf the web with no issues what so ever, take the laptop hame and great on the internet wirelessly or wired etc. Work have just bought a new PC to be used for PLC programming etc, when connecting this to the same network port, lights flash shows on screen as connected but will not surf internet. The netwrok system does have security software on but the laptop by-passes this and the new PC has no security on it. I have setup all data to be the same as the laptop, so if any one got any ideas let me know.

Thanks In Advance

Ellogg

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Workplace Network System
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »

>> Work have just bought a new PC to be used for PLC programming etc,

Sorry not 100% clear on this - but is the PC attached to your Home Network?  Pressuming the PC is at your home...

>> but will not surf internet.

What router are you using?
Can you ping the router or any other PCs on your Network?

What are the results if you open up cmd prompt and type ipconfig /all

iirc you had a problem previously with DNS servers, have you tried hardcoding OpenDNS servers into the new machine?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »

Sounds like this PC is connected to the work network which makes things more complicated...

Is the PC set up to acquire IP addresses and so on from a DHCP server or are these details set manually (static)?

Check the PCs IP and workgroup/domain settings.

One thing that sometimes makes a difference is to use ipconfig /flushdns to clear out the machines DNS cache which can be a cause for no access to network or internet sites.

Also check the network for any authentication software or so on which some businesses now deploy to control network access.

Other than that cant be to much help. I know it can be a pain when things just dont work :(

tnp

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:45 PM »

Run COMMANMD to get  DOS shell and type

C:\> IPCONFIG

and see what the differences are.

anything