Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firefox 8 available  (Read 5895 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Firefox 8 available
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »

Get it by clicking the orange firefox button>help>about firefox

McAfee Site Advisor 3.4.0 is not compatible as yet so I personally have held back updating

So much for McAfee saying the last update would be 'future proof'

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Firefox 8 available
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »

It only seems like last week when I was using version 3.5.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »

I think its getting ridiculous the number of updates being rolled out.

I don't think Mozilla are doing themselves any favours especially as they are keen to close the gap on IE.

I don't use Firefox as much as I use to,instead I use Chrome and sometimes Opera.For some reason Chrome seems less of a processor hog than Firefox

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »

'Allo Un and Eric   :)     Ooooooooooooo   I'm  having a go with Chrome    ....it's very fast, and clean looking.   I'm just trying to see if I can use similar add-ons that I use with FF and if I can I think I may stay with this.  Off to play, will report back later  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

Hi Kate.  :)

I like Chrome,its fast and never seems to throw many problems up...It does take a bit of finding your way round.There isn't a bookmarks sidebar and there isn't any toolbars.
It has a bookmarks bar which sits just under the address bar.All the info can be found by clicking on the spanner icon(top right hand corner)

You can download apps/extensions/themes etc from the Chrome Web Store

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »

For anybody who uses Thunderbird, that's been upgraded to v8 as well.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »

Thanks Unc  ... I'm having fun   ;D     One thing that alarms me is that on some of the extensions available  (and some that I want !!) before it installs it tells you, for example , 'this can access your data on all websites '  :o    ....strangely this is on a couple of 'security' extensions  !!!   should I avoid these or am I being alarmist  .....  ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

Hi Kate  :)

Tbh I don't use that many..I have McAfee Site Advisor,WOT,Hotmail checker,Gmail Checker,Picasa,Google dictionary and screen Capture

McAfee SA sits inside the Address bar and all the others are to the right in between the address bar and the spanner icon.Never had any problems.

Click on the spanner icon>Options>under the hood>Privacy

Have you got the 'automatically send usage to Google' box ticked by any chance

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »

"Have you got the 'automatically send usage to Google' box ticked by any chance"

No ...I haven't checked that box Unc  ......

I've just had a look at the WOT extension you use  ...   and that also contains the message ' It can access your data on all websites   and yours tabs and browsing activity '     So perhaps it's just a general thing.   

The extension I want to use, I use it in Firefox  ...  is Flag Fox   (Chrome Flags)   which displays a flag of the country of the website you are visiting.  I find it useful and interesting.

:)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »

I think it is just your general browsing habits Kate.Obviously any site where you need to log on with a password etc is secure.(usually a green padlock is displayed in the left corner of the address bar to tell you your connection is secure)

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »

Unc  ...      'Allo 'Allo    :)  I'm using Chrome  !!  I had a look on the Chrome Q&A and found some information on the "Access to websites etc" issue that was bothering me.  Problem solved  .....   I can simply use 'incognito mode' for some sites.  I don't go on 'funny' site by the way  :lol:

So far it's going well  .... I'm going to put Flashblocker extension on now, because reading the Indy on line is nigh-on impossible with all those flashing ads  ::)

Thank you for your help  :)    I take it that leaving FF installed isn't a problem -and that  I can just not use it, like I don't use IE now   ??  In time, if Chrome doesn't cause any hassle, I could uninstall  FF (is it uninstall or desinstall  ?   I get confused with French and English words  :'( ) 'get rid of it'  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

Hi Kate  :)

I have Chrome,Firefox,Opera and IE 9 on my desk top.I just leave them there.I often use Opera FF and Chrome,but very rarely IE  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »

Thanks Unc  .... :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »

I have just found out that another FF add-on is causing FF8 to crash(webmail notifier),which I use

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222106

Tbh I'm getting a bit fed up with FF now.Will leave my current version 7.0.1 as it is for the time being.One of the main plus points of FF is the ability to customise/have add-ons,but if you are constantly having problems at every update release then its time to look elsewhere.

Opera is a very underrated browser,I can't understand why it has such a low market share.

Edit

I took the plunge and updated to FF8.McAfee SA works and I disabled the webmail notifier add-on(its not essential)...all seems ok up to now. :fingers:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:31:08 PM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »

No sooner version 8 released than....http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/10980/  :-X

Pages: [1] 2

anything