Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: zbot ramnit virus  (Read 2197 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
zbot ramnit virus
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:09:43 AM »

My son's computer running XP on my home Lan has acquired this virus (from a commercial stationery site apparently!) and I am having the devil's own job getting rid of it. Having researched the net I am on the verge of reformatting and reloading.This won't be too bad as he only has a few photographs of cars he has restored that he would like to save on it and I'm pretty sure I can do that with a Linux live CD. Has anyone here had any success removing this beastie or has it evolved to be unkillable?
Tony

AdrianH

Re: zbot ramnit virus
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »

http://www.precisesecurity.com/virus/w32ramnit-a

One of the reasons I use Avast is the Boot Time scan which allows a full disc scan and clean/repair/quarantine of nasties before Windows loads anything and before any malware can do anything to protect or replicate itself.

Maybe time to upgrade to Win7 which is more robust?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:36:04 PM by AdrianH »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47:52 AM »

I also use the Avast Boot Time scan on the odd occasion even if I am unaware of a problem, obviously it's possible to have certain virus's without even knowing it, so the odd Boot Time scan does not do any harm, except I will admit seems to take forever, but then again what price do you put on peace of mind?

As for the original post, you could also try at least two of the on-line scans to see if they are more up-to-date at removing the virus.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »

Thanks both of you for responding but I have decided on a reformat. Luckily my son really only uses his PC for surfing and there is not much data to save. But I'm very glad my PC didn't succumb!
Tony