Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Acer battery works fine on another acer laptop.  (Read 3421 times)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Acer battery works fine on another acer laptop.
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

Hey guys,

My acer laptop is not turning on. Tried the battery in another acer which works 100% and charges fine. Tried taking the battery out with no power cable plugged in and holding the power button down for 2 minutes then tried plugging the main power cable into the laptop and turning it on but it didn't work the light that indicates it is charging did not come on either. Connected the battery back in again and tried switching it on and the same thing completely dead. Took the top half of the panel off to expose the power button panel and tried switching it on that way incase the power button on the panel wasn't hitting this and it still didn't work. After a while the power light started to flash orange like it was in sleep mode so i hit the power button and the keyboard and still nothing. Just fishing for some ideas it has been suggested to me to try cleaning the clip where the laptop lid closes into as this could have something lodged there making the laptop think that the lid is down. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Regards
Gary

scottiesmum

Re: Acer battery works fine on another acer laptop.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

'Allo Gary,  I am the least techy person on this forum  !!   that's just a  warning   ;D  .........   but a friend of mine had a very similar problem quite a while ago, the laptop would not start on the battery, but OK on the mains.   They were told to try this   ..take out any cords, take out the battery and hold the laptop upside down and hold the power button for 30 seconds,  next,  turn it right side up and put the cord back in try to turn it on then put battery back in ...    et Voila !

I'm sorry that's all in capitals, but it was typed like that on the e-mail I have   .... :'(   Amazingly it worked for my friend ....  :fingers: it does for you too  :)

(edited because I found a very clever way to change Higher case to lower case  !  -  and didn't want to appear to be shouting  :)   )
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:39:26 PM by scottiesmum »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »

Hey,

Yeah i have tried all that thing is when the charger is plugged in with no battery connected there is no light to indicate any power going to the motherboard. I got my work colleague to try the battery in his acer laptop and it works 100% so not a battery fault. I suspect this to be a fault with the motherboard or some other piece of hardware in the laptop. There is a short coming from somewhere cause when i plugged the battery back in again last night after getting it back off my work colleague it powered up for about 5 seconds then the fan knocked off which would indicate to me a power short. My work colleague has agreed to allow me to use parts from his laptop to troubleshoot this so i will keep you all posted on a fix for this. I currently suspect 3 parts of hardware causing the short at the minute which are the motherboard,charger port or memory module. Thanks for you reply and don't worry about shouting cause i do it sometimes lol.

Regards
Gary

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

Ok guys this topic can be closed! Got the hold of my work colleagues working acer laptop. Tested my hard drive in this works fine. Tested battery in this works fine. Removed the memory module from the working acer laptop and plugged it into the faulty laptop and poof it is now working! Looks like memory module was causing a short knocking the laptop off and at times causing it not to turn on at all. Keep this in mind if this ever happens to your laptop.

Regards
Gary

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »

Glad to see you have cured your problems..... :clap2:

Thank you for the feedback, which will certainly offer pointers to anyone else with a similar issue.