Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What speeds should I bee seeing...or am i being picky?  (Read 2076 times)

TLE

• Just arrived
What speeds should I bee seeing...or am i being picky?
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just recently my line was enabled for ADSL2+, and I was orignally quoted the below as the projected speed by BT and by my ISP, Plusnet.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

All was going well within 10 day training period as I was seeing speed of around 15Mb.

6 days into the training period my router gave up the ghost, so i replaced the D-Link DSL-320B with a Draytek Vigor 120. This didn't cause any problems as my speed was still maintained at 15Mb. On day 7 we then had power issues, our circuit breakers kept tripping which we eventually traced to a faulty socket which was replaced immediatley. From this point on our speeds dropped to around 12Mb.

I contacted Plusnet about this and they indicated that the speed should return after 3 days of constant connectivity, but nothing happened. It would seems I have dropped a profile with no sign of it returning. Plusnet then suggested an SNR reset. This is now in day 9 and I have seen no signs of the speed increasing.

Here are my line stats from BT, Plusnet and the modem.

Draytek Vigor 120
ADSL2+ G.992.5
Up Speed: 1171805
Down Speed: 18812619
SNR Margin: 5
Loop Att: 23

IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
Plusnet Current line speed: 14 Mb

We plug directly into a filtered NTE5 faceplate.

Am I just been picky and should settle for the current speed, or shoud I be seeing faster speeds than I currently am. It's almost as though some kind of limit has been place on our line.

All my neigbours projected speeds are still 17Mb including those who live further away, although our now says 14Mb when we check online.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I realise the speeds they give are only estimates, but given the SNR and Attenuation I would have thought we should be faster. Don't get me wrong I am pleased with the speed, but if I can get more, then great. It's just seems like everything went wrong after the power issues. Do i just need to be patient?

Exchange: Thirsk BT Code: NETI
Distance:- Direct:518 metres(appx)*
By Road:805 metres

TLE.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:16:05 PM by TLE »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: What speeds should I bee seeing...or am i being picky?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »

Your present connection speed is close to the highest you could expect for your level of attenuation, so there's nothing really to say on that. Your IP profile would be 16000 if the present connection speed is stable, so either it's stuck at 15000 or you have recently connected at a lower speed. If it is stable, then possibly a bit more patience is all that's needed.
  Eric

TLE

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »

Thank you for the reply, the line has now been stable for 8 days with no re-syncs or disconnections. I am wondering if I have been put on a ADSL2+ Banded profile to stop it from going higher.

I will continue to monitor this and see if my ISP can tell me if I am on a banded profile.

Thanks

TLE

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »

Hi
quote Plusnet Current line speed: 14 Mb
what is this ? some sort of cap ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

TLE

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »

It is Plusnet's equivalent to the IP Profile set by BT. Plusnet update this when they receive a delta report from BT.