Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2 routers network  (Read 4218 times)

facsi

2 routers network
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »

Im trying to set my home network to work better.
My actual setup is a Tp-link td-8816 modem/router that does the pppoe. (192.168.2.1)
From it i have an asus Rt-N13u running dd-wrt. (192.168.1.1)
I need to do some port fowarding to get some services to work.

Could I set DMZ on 8816 to ddwrt? Would this be the best setting available? This would be the same as setting the modem to bridge and do pppoe with the other router?

thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:44:58 PM by facsi »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: 2 routers network
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »

First I have to say I am not that technically knowledgeable with routers, but, what do you mean by '2 routers network'

Why 2 routers or is that a typo?

Also what problems are you having at the moment that you 'need' to set port forwarding or hope it will give you, or is it for P2P benefits?

Also are you thinking of a actual network or just internet access?

facsi

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »

I have 2 routers in the network.
One is the modem/router. And has one ethernet port. It does pppoe, so if i plug my pc there Ill be connected to the internet.
Other router is sharing the connection with other pcs (ethernet and wifi).
I could bridge the modem and do pppoe with the second router but I will lose access to it. I cannot telnet it or get line status.

It works fine the way im using when the program I use have upnp for port fowarding. But since im using the second router with some tweaks it does not work because it doesnt support upnp. And I have to open the ports on the modem.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »

Like I said earlier 'First I have to say I am not that technically knowledgeable with routers,'
but I had hoped someone else more knowledgeable would have stepped in and taken over by now who may know what it is you are trying to achieve, but give it a bit of time and all being well someone will jump in.

Good luck

facsi

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

Thanks.
But following logics, that really might be the solution. I just dont know what other stuff DMZ envolves.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »

>> I just dont know what other stuff DMZ envolves.

I don't know, I just thought it turned off the routers built-in firewall.

Question.
Can you actually use 2 routers on the same system?
Only earlier this year when I needed to increase the number of RJ45 connections I explained to the guy in Maplins that I also had another router but was told I needed a 'Switch box' which gave me the extra points I needed and just plugs direct into the original router and acts like a multi-gang socket.

facsi

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:33:27 AM »

Yes.
If I understood you, you could use your other router just to multiply the number of lan ports. You just need to put them in another IP range. Eg. 192.168.0.1 for one and 192.168.1.1 for the other. They both can be accessible. But ips from the second router will differ from first because of who is doing dhcp. I think that disabling the dhcp server on the second router will make you have the same ip range on other pcs. (but 2nd router's ip still must be in different range than the first one)

My opinion about DMZ with 2 routers is that it makes the routed modem work as a bridged since it foward all connections from routed modem to the router.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:37:06 AM by facsi »

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »

I could bridge the modem and do pppoe with the second router but I will lose access to it. I cannot telnet it or get line status.

You can still access it, but before you set it up in bridged mode you will need to define a LAN address for it; e.g. 192.168.1.254

Your router will have an address in the same subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.1, authenticate to the ISP's network with PPPoE and run NAT'ing tables for PCs in your network.

It works fine the way im using when the program I use have upnp for port fowarding. But since im using the second router with some tweaks it does not work because it doesnt support upnp. And I have to open the ports on the modem.

All routing will happen at the Rt-N13u and any port forwarding will take place there.  So will firewalling of course.
Regards,
Mick