Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Filtered Faceplate Help  (Read 5909 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Filtered Faceplate Help
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »

Hi, I have bought a filtered faceplate and just had a few questions please?

1) I understand the wires behind the current faceplate are just for the upstairs phone socket. If I just didn't connect them to the new plate, and fitted the new plate, would the phone and broadband just work as normal, but the socket upstairs wouldn't work?

2) If I do connect the upstairs socket, do I just pull out wires 2 and 5 out of the current socket, and put them in sockets 2 and 5 on the new faceplate?

3) I go live with my new ISP on Monday. Am I ok to be doing this during the 10 day training period? I know that the exchange watches all disconnections, so if I turn the router off will the exchange class this as a disconnection and lower my sync?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Filtered Faceplate Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »

1. That's correct.

2. Correct.

3. It's generally best to leave the connection uninterrupted during the training period, but one disconnection isn't going to make any difference. Installing the filtered faceplate might give you a slightly higher connection speed, so it's best to do it sooner rather than later, so the training benefits from it.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:52 PM »

Thanks Roseway. I thought there was something about wires A and B though to do with the ADSL on a faceplate?

The faceplate I got was this one:

http://www.soundlightuk.com/shop/products/Commtel-NTE5-Faceplate-with-ADSL-Filter-%252d-IDC-Type.html

That look ok to you?

So one manual disconnection shouldn't make any difference during the training period? I thought there was a way to disconnect which made the exchange aware it was a manual disconnect?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:54 PM »

The faceplate I got was this one:

http://www.soundlightuk.com/shop/products/Commtel-NTE5-Faceplate-with-ADSL-Filter-%252d-IDC-Type.html

Yes, that is correct. (However I'll add the proviso that at their retail price they are not going to be of the better quality devices' standard.)

Why don't you fit the new filtered faceplate on Sunday -- before you go live with the new ISP?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »

If it arrives before sunday I will.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »

I thought there was something about wires A and B though to do with the ADSL on a faceplate?

As I guess you know, the A and B connections at the back of the master socket are for the incoming cable from the exchange. Some filtered faceplates also provide A and B terminals as well as 2 and 5, A and B being directly connected to the incoming A and B terminals (and therefore unfiltered). These extra A and B terminals can be used for connecting up an unfiltered extension socket, but in most cases you just leave them unconnected.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »

I thought there was something about wires A and B though to do with the ADSL on a faceplate?

As I guess you know, the A and B connections at the back of the master socket are for the incoming cable from the exchange. Some filtered faceplates also provide A and B terminals as well as 2 and 5, A and B being directly connected to the incoming A and B terminals (and therefore unfiltered). These extra A and B terminals can be used for connecting up an unfiltered extension socket, but in most cases you just leave them unconnected.

Well if I can remember, when I removed the bell wire, there was only 2 other wires connected.

The bell wire won't interfere with anything just hanging out will it?!

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »

Just installed mine. No noticeable difference in sync speed. Did 3 re-syncs when connected to standard socket and achieved a sync of 4640, 4550, and 4620.

When installed the faceplate, sync speed was 4480 so doesn't look like it will improve anything. However, it does look much tidier and I just used an old bank card to punch the wires in.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »

The bell wire won't interfere with anything just hanging out will it?!

No. Just ensure that it is neatly tucked away at the back of the box. You should also ensure that it disconnected at the extension socket(s).

So, confirming things, you only require IDC2 connected to IDC2 and IDC5 connected to IDC5. Any other wiring is unnecessary and could be detrimental. As for wire colours, blue/white stripe to IDC2 and white/blue stripe to IDC5 is the standard.

As for using an old bank card . . .  ::)

(But it is fairly well known that b*cat is a perfectionist.)

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »

Bank card did the trick. I do have a tool in the post but didn't see the point in waiting.

The IDC2 wire is the white one with blue stripes and the ID5 wire is the blue wire with white stripes, correct?

It all works anyway so must be ok. Just no speed increase.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

It doesn't really matter what colours you use, so long as it's one twisted pair and you connect the same colours to the same terminals at both ends.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »

The IDC2 wire is the white one with blue stripes and the ID5 wire is the blue wire with white stripes, correct?

The correct answer to your question is no. However, I will add the comment that as long as there is total consistency in the coloured wires used and no two pairs are "split", then o.k.

The official colour scheme is --

IDC #   Colours

1        Green/whilte stripe
  2        Blue/white stripe
  3        Orange/whilte stripe
  4        White/orange stripe
  5        White/blue stripe
  6        White/green stripe

Edit: I see Eric's fast fingers managed to compose a post before I submitted mine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:07:23 PM by burakkucat »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »

Well mine were already wired up so that the white wire with blue stripes was 2, and the blue wire with white stripes was 5. That's how mines connected and the upstairs socket works fine.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »

Well mine were already wired up so that the white wire with blue stripes was 2, and the blue wire with white stripes was 5. That's how mines connected and the upstairs socket works fine.

Acknowledged. ;)

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »

Is this ok then if it's apparently wrong??
Pages: [1] 2