Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

My neighbour and I.... totally different BB speed - Why ?

(1/1)

clubsport911:
I'm confused.. can anyone help ??

I live in a rural location a good distance from the local exchange (Combe Hill in Gloucs if you are interested.). I've got a Talk Talk ADSL "Max" package and regularly see a max speed of ~ 1.8mbps during the off peak times. Despite a lot of effort, it seems that this is the max I can ever get due to the location of our house.

My neighbour (just 30m away, in the same street) had until recently, a max speed of 0.2mbs. >:( He's connected with BT.

He complained (as you would) and BT Openreach came out.

They discovered that up to the NT5 Master socket, he had an access speed of (wait for it) 5.5mb ! :o

So, the BT OpenReach man fiddled with his master box and moved it to another room, closer to his intended router connection. (Like his, my master box is in the hall, and I connect up to ADSL via an upstairs extension.)

He now connects to the internet at 5.5mb by checking with a couple of speedtesters.

This is BIZARRE.

When I check the line stats for my line and postcode, the information duly returns a max (potential) speed of 2mbs DL...

I've been into the BT box and removed the "ringer line" to avoid interference, but how on earth can the difference be explained away ?

FYI, the street we live in is all part of a very small community of ~ 120 houses and we all connect up via the same exchange.

Confused...

HPsauce:
Simples.  :P
You have bad wiring, he had terrible wiring.
(most likely explanation)
His is now good, yours is still bad.  8)

Post some stats from your router for more insight....

Oranged:

--- Quote from: clubsport911 on October 27, 2011, 10:32:23 AM ---
I've been into the BT box and removed the "ringer line" to avoid interference, but how on earth can the difference be explained away ?

--- End quote ---

You need to disconnect that at both ends if you haven't done that already i.e. in the main BT socket and all the extension boxes

Use the test socket behind the main socket faceplate when you take the router's stats.

jeffbb:
Hi
quote : Use the test socket behind the main socket faceplate when you take the router's stats.

confirm if there is an improvement .<if you haven't connected to test socket then record your current stats to compare before and after .

Regards Jeff

burakkucat:
And, if it is possible for you to do so, please take clear photographs of the wiring inside each (and every) socket. We would be interested in seeing the quality of the wiring, the colour of each individual wire connected from each cable and the terminal to which each wire is connected. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version