Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speeds - bRAS and VPs  (Read 6188 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:14:32 AM »

Grr :(

Still rate limited to 6Mb. Trouble is, I've got to be careful when I do my reconnects because right now my SNR is down to 5dB, so that wouldn't reconnect me back at 8Mb.

> tbh though I doubt if it will make that much difference because most BT VPs arent able to give you more than 6Mb speeds because of contention anyhow.

I seem to be reasonably lucky on that front. Often able to get > 650KB/sec and sometimes up in the 700s... not at the moment though.

Guess I shouldn't complain, I'm still in quite a good position compared to a lot of people.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »

>>  seem to be reasonably lucky on that front.

yah indeed, y
You're not on this exchange anymore which always seems to be troublesome, or at least one of the first to suffer.
It was ok when I first got maxed..  mind you last night at about 1am I was seeing almost 6Mb
currently not even hitting 1.5Mb (1470kbps) :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »

Definitely not good :(

5697Kbps here. It's not fair is it.

Maybe when Carphone Warhouse / Talktalk get it enabled (which should already be done) then a load will move off BT IPstream. Perhaps this is what BT are waiting for before upgrading the VP backhaul, you never know.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »

Thought Id check for sure if it was the exchange.....

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01253xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1590 kilo bits per second (Kbps),

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »

1590 kilo bits per second (Kbps),

Ouch :(

It always seems to get bad... it is Sunday and orrible weather, a recipe for contentious disaster... Hopefully when all the kids go back to school next week it'll get better... hopefully
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

Quote from: kitz
Thought Id check for sure if it was the exchange.....

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01253xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1590 kilo bits per second (Kbps)

Sounds a bit drap  :(

Down to 1590Kbps? Is that BRAS profiling or just heavy traffic you think? I know on our 512k fixed product rates when speed testing were down 50kbps - over 100kbps in this last week compared to a week or two ago.

Quote from: mr_chris
It always seems to get bad... it is Sunday and orrible weather, a recipe for contentious disaster... Hopefully when all the kids go back to school next week it'll get better... hopefully

Less traffic at least - though if anything - stating the obvious here, weather will get gradually worse from now on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 03:44:29 PM by soms »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Speeds - bRAS and VPs
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »

>> Down to 1590Kbps? Is that BRAS profiling or just heavy traffic you think?

Contention at the local exchange.  The exchange that Im on is very well known for having contention problems.

When you perform a BTw speedtest you log in to a special BT speedtest domain which completely bypasses your ISP and checks the speed inbetween your home and the RAS.

I can get near 6Mb speeds on occasions but only during the wee small hours when the kids are in bed.
-----