Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router Failure - Question  (Read 1704 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Router Failure - Question
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »

My mother's DG834GT router seems to have failed. There was no sync light on it and oddly also, the power light was also not lit (for clarity ethernet port [1] was lit).

A few days ago her ISP had an outage. The DG834GT had been working fine immediately prior to and up to the outage (BT issue was reported).

The ISP reported the problem fixed, but the DG834GT did not reconnect and was showing the symthoms which I detailed above ie no sync light and no power light (but ethernet port 1 was lit).

I went to my mother's today and replaced the router with an older (spare) DG834 which initially had problems syncing but after a few minutes did so successfully.

I tried to reconnect the DG834GT to double check but nothing.

So clearly the router seemed to be the culprit.

So question: Seems bizarre that the DG834GT failed at the exact same time as the BT outage and my question relates to the possibility that perhaps BT may have done something in their repairs to affect the DG834GT. Perhaps a voltage distortion / spike through the phone line which fried the DG834GT?

Just curious as to whether that would be a possibility, or was this all just a coincidence?

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:29:02 PM by risk_reversal »