Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Use 2Wire 2700HGV router on o2 Broadband

(1/5) > >>

happy37:
Hello everyone.....

I have been reading on here that a lot of people use an unlocked version of the 2Wire 2700HGV (BT Business Hub) for their long lines as it offers far better performance than the ISP supplied router(s), whatever these might be.

I am currently with o2 broadband on the legacy "Standard" up to 8mb LLU service and am very happy with it.

Is this a 2Wire 2700HGV router? (Do these routers use a Broadcom chipset?)

http://tinyurl.com/64ebq5d

Here are my current linestats: - (using the supplied o2 Box II)

Uptime:   10 days, 10:16:46
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,026 / 3,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   33.0 / 56.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   3,815 / 8,894,010
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   3,815 / 8,731
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   8,945 / 4,750

I understand that there is/can be a lot of work involved in getting one of these routers to work with different ISP's apart from BT.

I would be grateful for any advice provided as I have not purchased the 2Wire 2700HGV router yet.....this is just a query in its initial stages.

Looking at my linestats, can anyone recommend that I leave things as they are, or is it worth giving the 2Wire 2700HGV a shot on my line?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

happy37

roseway:
The link you gave is indeed the 2700HGV, although you can get it cheaper on eBay. It doesn't have a Broadcom chipset, the ADSL chip is an ST20184 by STMicroelectronics.

Your current stats suggest that your speed is already up to what you could expect from your fairly long line, so I doubt if the 2700HGV would improve that, although it might possible deliver a lower error rate (pure guesswork on my part).

happy37:

--- Quote from: roseway on October 19, 2011, 10:07:23 AM ---The link you gave is indeed the 2700HGV, although you can get it cheaper on eBay. It doesn't have a Broadcom chipset, the ADSL chip is an ST20184 by STMicroelectronics.

Your current stats suggest that your speed is already up to what you could expect from your fairly long line, so I doubt if the 2700HGV would improve that, although it might possible deliver a lower error rate (pure guesswork on my part).

--- End quote ---

Hi Eric

Thanks for the comment.

I know you can get it cheaper on eBay, thanks for reminding me. Will check at home, as I am at work at the moment.

Do you have one that I can try out, or does anyone else for that matter, please?

The one thing that worries me is the (in)compatibility of the chipset in this router versus the Broadcom chipset of the o2 router and the DSLAM at the exchange.

Shall I leave as is, or could it be worth trying the 2700HGV on my line just to see what happens?

Is there anyone else out there that has tried or does actually use the 2700HGV with an o2 broadband service?

Thanks again.

Regards

happy37

npr:
I've tried the BT2700HGV on my O2 LLU line.
It performed very well with my previous (BT based) ISP but was not so good when I moved to O2 LLU. The speed was only a little slower than the supplied O2 boxII, the main issue was it would lose routing occasionally. At the time this was a known issue with some router, mainly netgear. Also re-sync'd a little more often.
My preferred router with O2 LLU is the O2 box IV which I bought from the O2 shop for £15, they're on special offer some times  ;D

From your stats you look to have a stable connection, so it may be worth asking O2 to reduce your noise margin to 3dB, support are happy to do this and it would give a useful increase in speed. If this makes the connection unstable ask them to put it back to 6dB.

Also you're connected at ADSL2+ (G.992.5), some of us on long lines find a ADSL2 (G.992.3) or ADSL1 (G.992.1) gives slightly better performance.
If you wish you can experiment with changing this yourself in the O2 box.
See "Force connection modulation mode to ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+"
Here http://npr.freei.me/telnet.html  site down  :no:

happy37:

--- Quote from: npr on October 19, 2011, 08:34:33 PM ---I've tried the BT2700HGV on my O2 LLU line.
It performed very well with my previous (BT based) ISP but was not so good when I moved to O2 LLU. The speed was only a little slower than the supplied O2 boxII, the main issue was it would lose routing occasionally. At the time this was a known issue with some router, mainly netgear. Also re-sync'd a little more often.
My preferred router with O2 LLU is the O2 box IV which I bought from the O2 shop for £15, they're on special offer some times  ;D

From your stats you look to have a stable connection, so it may be worth asking O2 to reduce your noise margin to 3dB, support are happy to do this and it would give a useful increase in speed. If this makes the connection unstable ask them to put it back to 6dB.

Also you're connected at ADSL2+ (G.992.5), some of us on long lines find a ADSL2 (G.992.3) or ADSL1 (G.992.1) gives slightly better performance.
If you wish you can experiment with changing this yourself in the O2 box.
See "Force connection modulation mode to ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+"
Here http://npr.freei.me/telnet.html

--- End quote ---

Hello npr

Good to hear from you.

So, would you suggest that I leave things as they are and not purchase the BT2700HGV?

I have tried a 3db noise margin before, but things turned unstable so I got o2 support to change it back to 6db.

I have also tried experimenting with ADSL1, ADSL 2 and ADSL2+ before now with only very slight differences in speed.

See below:- (examples of what I've got before when I did this)

G992.5 annex A (ADSL2+)

Sync speed - 988/3254 (up/down)
SNR - 6.5/6.5 (up/down)
Att - 34.5/58.5 (up/down)

G992.3 annex A (ADSL2)

Sync speed - 984/3226 (up/down)
SNR - 6.5/6.5 (up/down)
Att - 34.5/55 (up/down)

G992.1 annex A (ADSL1)

Sync speed - 934/3218 (up/down)
SNR - 7/6 (up/down)
Att - 34.5/56 (up/down)

Any other thoughts, please?

I am thinking of getting the BT2700HGV and giving it a go, unless someone else tells me or confirms otherwise that I will be wasting my time.

Thanks again.

happy37

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version