Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Speed tester  (Read 8230 times)

mywifeshusband

FTTC Speed tester
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

Can anyone please tell me if the Think-Broadband speed tester which I have used for several years with my old 1Mbps Fixed Broadband service is accurate for the BT Infinity FTCC that I'm now on. I ask because there is a wide discrepancy between it and the official BT Speed tester; particularly with a wireless connection.

BT Infinity configured download speed was 35 Mbps 6 months ago but has dropped back to about 30 now and on average I've been actually getting about 5 Mbps less than this in actual download speed as measured by the BT Speed tester.  With a 'wired' Ethernet connection the think-broadband test comes out about another 5 Mbps slower but the main issue is the difference between the 'wired' and the 'wireless' as follows.

I have just run another double test within the last 10 minutes and 26Mbps BT Tester (wireless connection) corresponds to 9Mbps (yes nine Mbps) (wireless connection) think-broadband speed tester. This is typical of the results I'm getting using the BT Home Hub 3 and  an 'n' technology Belkin dongle creating the  wireless connection which constantly reports itself as "excellent".
I'm stumped for an explanation. 'Wired' the think-broadband test is consistently lower than the BT Test but within the same ball park, but 'wireless' there seems to be no comparability at all.

Any ideas why - and which one is right?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC Speed tester
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »

Hi mywifeshusband,

Don't know if this is of any use:-

I have been using speedtest.net recently to monitor my currently very poor FTTC connection (wired desktop PC).

& occasionally mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Just tried the TBB speed tester. It seems a little more pessimistic:-

I can't try the wireless laptop tonight, but it is ALWAYS around 50% of the speeds reported via my desktop PC.

Now & then I try the test download files from here:-
http://www.btopenworld.com/speedtest

Again, via the laptop, the time taken to download the 15Mb file is ALWAYS twice as long as when downloaded to the desktop PC.

I put that down to the old & slow wireless adapter in the laptop.

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:51:18 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

.Griff.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »

TBB's speedtest has never given me an accurate result.

For example -

But -

[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

mywifeshusband

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »

Thanks Folks - What you say is very helpful, but how do you tests compare with the official BT  http://speedtester.bt.com/ ?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »

Thanks Folks - What you say is very helpful, but how do you tests compare with the official BT  http://speedtester.bt.com/ ?

For me, the BT speedtester is always a tiny bit more pessimistic than speedtest.net (usually no more than 0.5Mb difference).

I don't usually get affected by contention, regardless of the time of day either.
There musn't be that many users connected to the same FTTC cabinet DSLAM as me.

Paul.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »

Thanks Bald-Eagle for your observations. I have just done another wireless speed test results as follows:-
(Download speeds only, with all three test completed within 5 minutes of noon.)
Bt speed tester 26,459 kbps on a configured speed of 28,788 kbps
Speedtest.net 18,59 kbps
Think-broadband 8,658 kbps.

I know I have nothing to complain about with figures like these but I do wish I could find out which on is right.

.Griff.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

Which server/location did you use on Speedtest.net? I find some servers/locations give much more accurate results than other.

London, Milton Keynes and Maidenhead all give the most reliable results in my experience.
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

mywifeshusband

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

Hello Griff
I used Maidenhead, it being the closest to where I live.
Thanks

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »

I usually just let speedtest.net choose the server.
Apparently it determines the "best" one to use.

I live near Manchester, but that doesn't usually provide the best results.
Maidenhead, & a few others dahn sarf tend to give better/more consistent results for me.

For curiosity, what results would your wired connection provide if the 3 same tests were run one after the other today (allowing speedtest.net to choose the "best" server)?

Assuming it is actually working correctly, I would have thought your 'n' dongle would have provided reasonably consistent & fairly high results from the various speed testers, on a pro-rata basis.

Maybe some sort of incompatibility between the HH3 & the dongle itself?

I will try the TTB speed test wirelessly when I get home tonight, to see if it also shows such a huge difference for my connection.

Paul.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »

Sorry but I don't have an Ethernet lead long enough to do a wired connection to the PC from the router. However my netbook on a short lead records as follows:-
BT speed tester 26,561 kbps on a configured connection of 28,788kbps
speedtest.net 20.25 mbps
Think-broadband 18.3 mbps
These readings were taken within 5 minutes of 14:00 hrs and are consistent with others taken over the last 5 months or so.

The netbook only has a 'b' technology connection and turns in a wireless connection download speed using think-broadband of only 5 to 6 Mbps, significantly slower than the PC which as a 'n' dongle.

I have also run further tests from other BB speed testing websites on both machines and they all seem to average out at about 20Mbps wirelessly with not a great deal of difference between the wired connection to the PC

Having gone through this over and over again in my mind I still can't see a logical reason for think- broadband returning such a very low wireless reading for the two computers against all the competition, particularly whilst the wired connection is 'almost' comparable.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »

Right,

I have just arrived home & ran the wireless tests:-

Ignore the time differences. They were all run one after the other.

There is something strange going on there, as these are the best wireless results I have ever achieved, even from when a wired connection gave me 33Mb downloads. I only achieved 16Mb or so wirelessly back then.
Today, they are more or less the same as my wired connection.

The results do however show that TBB gives a lower download speed for a wireless connection for some reason though.

The 15Mb test download from here:- http://www.btopenworld.com/speedtest took 9 seconds wirelessly, & a few minutes ago took 6 seconds wired.

I don't know if the above has helped, or just added further confusion :-\

EDIT: Wired (about 1 hour later):-

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:38:12 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »

@ Paul. FWIW I'm curious; what did you open the BTO tester with?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »

@ renluop,

Nothing really.

It seems to be full of pure garbage, & just used as a constant for testing download speeds.

I couldn't even copy & paste any of it as an example of what it contains.

This link explains, or doesn't explain what it is:- http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f9/btopenworld-com-speedtest-10319/

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:40:09 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »

Apologies,

The test download file is 15MB in size, not 15Mb.

Paul.

anything