Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Line stats. What do you make of them. I am considering replacing my old BT Voyag  (Read 18074 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

You can adjust the noise margin in the Billion7700N in the same way.
  Eric

Gummby

Okay I have hit 2 snags

Firstly my cd rom drive has vanished. Looking at the drive details it looks like it does not like the driver. I hope there is nothing more sinister to this problem. Quite honestly I hadn't even noticed I had an issue there.

The main issue is I can't get the modem or the old modem set up to work. My line says it is connected but only locally.

Pretty sure I got the username and password right. I had to set it up manually.

Used 0/38 on vci and PPOA  thing. All the details on network screen show as set automatically.

Does it make a difference if I have a static IP address on Vispa?? Do vista use sepcific settings?? I am looking on their site now but the knowledge page seems to have some issues.

HELP lol

Currently at parents trying tom get driver for the cd rom. USB pens could save my life.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Don't panic. :)

You don't need any driver or setup software, so I suggest that you stick the CD in a cupboard and forget about it.

If you can connect to the router using a browser then your computer's ethernet interface is working properly. All you have to do is enter the correct configuration settings. In my 7800N there's a section in its web interface called 'Quick start'. If the 7700N has a similar section, you should be able to use it and allow most of the settings to be automatically detected. The only details you should have to enter manually are your ISP login name and password, and you must get that right.

I'll have a look to see if the router manual is available online but it may not be there yet.
  Eric

Gummby

Used the quick start up.

I am not sure if I used the correct details as the network  status at bottom right of screen said local only and not 'local and internet'. Perhaps I got the login details wrong. I don't think I did. I certainly got something wrong.

Be it the VCI numbers or something else.

I couldn't even get my old BT voyager to work again.

The issue with the CD rom I am going to try a registry edit to fix. I can't find the drivers online.Dell don't seem to list my model. Grrrr.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

There's no obvious reason why the Voyager shouldn't still work. Have you changed anything else (different ADSL filter, different connection leads, etc.)? If you use the original components, and make sure that everything is plugged in correctly I can't see why it shouldn't work.
  Eric

Gummby

Hmmm neither can I. I will have a play when I get home.

PPPoa E VC/Mux

Automatically detect ISP settings. etc.

I wonder if the cd rom issue is linked at all. Bizarre
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:24:17 PM by Gummby »

Gummby

Okay worked some magic and I can now use the CD rom drive!!! Basically played with regedit and removed the upper and lower filter of the registrey key as suggested by Microsoft.

So using the cd  ;) I installed the modem settings. Suprise, suprise I am now online. I think the main issue was the cd rom drive vanished from my computers.

I disabled the wifi part of the router. Of course I could use that for my mobile??? Not sure if I am ready to play with the modem again.   :-\

Anyway time to check my settings again and see what speed I am getting now. Thanks for all the help. I really don't think it was something you could easily fix without being in front of the pc.

Gummby

Had a final thought on this. Does it matter which lan port you use on the router? Could this be why I got no internet??

Hmmm I guess I should be happy it worked. Although it would be nice how to manually set it up in future without a cd.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

No, it makes no difference which LAN port you use. I'm still puzzled as to why manual setting up didn't work, but I guess it must be some less obvious configuration setting which was missed.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working now, and it will be interesting to see how it performs.

On the subject of WiFi, you wouldn't be able to use it for your mobile, unless your mobile is specifically designed for this use (and I have no idea whether such a device exists).

(That shows how much I know about mobiles. See below. :) )

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:34:59 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

As eric said, you shouldnt need the cd at all to configure the router, and should have been able to directly access it, Ive no idea why this made any difference either.

A router is a stand alone mini computer with its own processor and even some memory so you should be able to access direct over the lan from your PC using the following link http://192.168.1.254

>> Of course I could use that for my mobile??

If you mean use your adsl connection rather than 3G to access the internet... then yes you can... it can be used for phone and i-devices.   
I do this a lot as it can save a heck of a lot of data usage if you are downloading to or uploading stuff from your phone/i-device. 

I dont know what mobile device you have, but this should be easy to do..  I only mention the 'should' because some HTC devices seem to have problems  connecting via wi-fi.  HTC are aware of the issue, apparently some models have an upgrade available to correct this, but despite being up to date with firmware, I still see problems with some routers with my HTC Desire S.  Other phones/devices should be fine.

If you are worried about wifi security, then most routers can be configured to allow only that device to connect that you authorise.  It can take a wee bit longer to first set up, because you have to physically go into the router settings to allow that one device.. but it means that other devices cant connect without your permission first. 

---------------
It would be interesting to see some line stats from the new router.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Gummby

I am glad the line is working more relaibly now. The new router seems to be working and connecting first time. Not sure why I could not get it to work without the cd. Bizarre.

I have an HTC desire for a phone. I am not sure I should tempt fate and try setting it up for wifi.

I would love to upload stats for the Billion router. Any instructions on this?

Lots more things to play around with. Including the WiFI settings.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Not sure why I could not get it to work without the cd.
I wonder if you installed the old Voyager with a CD and it added some drivers and network settings that were confusing things, but have been reset by using the new router CD?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I would love to upload stats for the Billion router. Any instructions on this?

I'm assuming that the web interface is similar to the 8800N, in which case the main stats are obtained by clicking on Status --> ADSL Status. You should be able to copy and paste the details.

Or telnet into the router from a command line window:

telnet 192.168.1.254

(enter the router login name and password when asked (default values are name=admin, password=admin)

adsl info --show

Then pick out the upstream/downstream connection speeds, attenuation and noise margin from the data returned.

Finish by typing 'logout' to terminate the telnet session.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Not sure why I could not get it to work without the cd.
I wonder if you installed the old Voyager with a CD and it added some drivers and network settings that were confusing things, but have been reset by using the new router CD?

You may have a very valid point there HP!   :idea: 
Some of the old USB modem software could do exactly this.  In particular, the ST330 (frog) drivers were notorious for stopping routers from being able to connect properly until the old drivers had been removed.

About 5+ years ago this used to be a common problem when users were upgrading to their first router from the ST330's... but these days you seldom see them. .....  hmmmm  I wonder if there were some old USB modem drivers still on that PC.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

It's a few years now since I upgraded anyone from a "frog" to a router but I always used to go round and "clear out" assorted bits and pieces from network-related configurations and settings. Always did it manually and can't now recall what, but if I sat down at one it would no doubt come back to me.  :graduate:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6