Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Line stats. What do you make of them. I am considering replacing my old BT Voyag  (Read 18083 times)

Gummby

Are there any other suggested modem beyond the Billion one?? I want to get one delivered next day and I can only find one on Amazon of the firms I know.

The engineer visited a few weeks back and it seemed to work fine for a while. I had 3-4 modems to test the line on. 2 Bt Voyagers 210 of which one he said was faulty. Clearly the second is. A BT Voyager 220V which does not seem to work. An old adsl modem which does seem to link up to the exchange but does not support adsl 2/2+.

I would agree it does seem like my broadband has been capped. They do say they let the broadband settle at a stable speed. Perhaps that is what they have done?

I didn't boot at midday that was probably they time my service resumed this am. I think as i turn off all sockets at night the modem has to reset each morning. So each morning it need to resync with the exchange. here it fails.

I think the first step is to replace the modem. I need to order one of these while my service is still up.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Lots of interesting opinions. Keep any advice coming.

One last post of data.

Line Mode    ADSL2+         Line State    Show Time    
   Latency Type    Interleave          Line Up Time    00:03:49:01    
   Line Coding    Trellis On         Line Up Count    1    
   Line Power State    L0                   

Statistics    Downstream    Upstream    
   Line Rate    6654 Kbps    444 Kbps    
   Noise Margin    23.5 dB    28.7 dB    
   Line Attenuation    30.5 dB    14.1 dB    
   Output Power    0.0 dBm    12.0 dBm    
   MSGC (number in overhead channel data)    65    10    
   B (number of bytes in Mux Frame)    94    63    
   M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame)    1    1    
   T (Mux Frames over sync bytes)    2    1    
   R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame)    16    0    
   S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length)    0.4545    4.5310    
   L (number of bits in PMD Frame)    1954    113    
   D (interleaver depth)    64    1    
   Super Frames    851679     851677     
   Super Frame Errors    0     0     
   RS Words    120938554     0     
   RS Correctable Errors    104     0     
   RS Uncorrectable Errors    0     0     
   HEC Errors    0     0     
   OCD Errors    0     0     
   LCD Errors    0     0     
   ES Errors    0     0

Gummby

I found this link regarding the modem on another forum.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4010816-billion-7700n.html?fpart=all&vc=1

I assume this modem will be easy to set up to adsl2+?

Also is the changing of settings a good idea as and when it arrives??

Edit- Modem is ordered and should arrive Saturday!! Cost under £50 in the end.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:06:14 PM by Gummby »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

I think as i turn off all sockets at night the modem has to reset each morning. So each morning it need to resync with the exchange. here it fails.

Routers are designed to be left on 24/7 and they use very little power.  There is some strong debate over turning the router off at night.. and although the DLM should in theory be able to cope with one power off per day, its not unknown for it to be fooled in to thinking that its a disconnect for other reasons and adjust profiles wrongly.

Myself, Im strongly of the opinion that the router should remain on all the time.  Im on a very short line, but in the past have had so many problems with this line being capped wrongly.  Seriously Ive been capped after power cuts or when I had an electrician working here and he pulled the switch on fuse-box before letting me power down.  I've been hit with the stuck bRAS profile problems so many times that its one of the reasons I couldnt wait to get away from BT's DLM.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

I found this link regarding the modem on another forum.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4010816-billion-7700n.html?fpart=all&vc=1

I assume this modem will be easy to set up to adsl2+?

Also is the changing of settings a good idea as and when it arrives??

Edit- Modem is ordered and should arrive Saturday!! Cost under £50 in the end.

I dont have a Billion myself, but I should assume it will be very easy to change in the config...  if not there are several on here who do have this router who will be able to guide you if you run into problems.

------------

btw just had a quick look at that linky, they are talking about Annex_M settings and it looks like a Be* connection.   
BTw based systems dont use Annex_M so you will be fine with the normal adsl2+ settings.   Some routers wont work on Annex_M (used by Be*) without firmware upgrades.. or some wont work at all.  Be* has slightly different settings than most other ISPs, but since youre not with them, you wont need to worry about this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:48:52 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Gummby

I think as i turn off all sockets at night the modem has to reset each morning. So each morning it need to resync with the exchange. here it fails.

Routers are designed to be left on 24/7 and they use very little power.  There is some strong debate over turning the router off at night.. and although the DLM should in theory be able to cope with one power off per day, its not unknown for it to be fooled in to thinking that its a disconnect for other reasons and adjust profiles wrongly.

Myself, Im strongly of the opinion that the router should remain on all the time.  Im on a very short line, but in the past have had so many problems with this line being capped wrongly.  Seriously Ive been capped after power cuts or when I had an electrician working here and he pulled the switch on fuse-box before letting me power down.  I've been hit with the stuck bRAS profile problems so many times that its one of the reasons I couldnt wait to get away from BT's DLM.  ???

Oh so perhaps this is why my line is being capped? I just always turn everything off to save on electricity. Afterall I don't want a fire due to an electrical fault on a router. The BT voyager always runs pretty hot!! It is a bit of a habit turning it off. Perhaps I should just leave it turned on 24/7 if this is leading me to being capped?  Not sure how much electricity it actaully uses.

From what I have read the BT Voyager 210 suffers from over heating. From my testing the issue is not syncing up with the exchange on the old modem. I think it is this modem that is faulty. Not 100% hmmmm.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Silly question maybe, but are you using the USB or Ethernet connection on your Voyager?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Not sure how much electricity it actaully uses.
Interesting question, that's cropped up before.  I've just plugged my DG834GT into a the wall socket through a wattmeter, and it reads 7 watts at idle.  I seem to recall a rule of thumb that a watt is vaguely comparable to a bit less than £1 per year, so let's say £6 per year in electricity, if left on 24/7, compared to £4 a year if switched off for eight hours overnight.

Further, I don't want to side-track this into a debate on the philosophy of energy usage (we've done it to death in other threads), but remember that any energy your router uses is dissipated as heat, which means there is less work for your central heating to do when it fires up in the morning.  Hence in the winter months, whatever small amount the router adds to your electrical bill,  a portion of it will be repaid by a small saving on your gas bill (assuming gas CH).  So I'm going to hazard a guess at perhaps £1.50 per year to keep a router on 24/7 comprised of £2 overhead in electricity, and a 50p saving on gas CH.

But it's late, others may find flaws in my calculations :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Oh so perhaps this is why my line is being capped?

No, a cap is a deliberate decision by the ISP, not the result of any automatic response.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen

Hi
As Roseway says No, a cap is a deliberate decision by the ISP, not the result of any automatic response.

and the Noise margin is an indication of this
quote  Noise Margin    23.5 dB    28.7 dB   
         Line Attenuation    30.5 dB    14.1 dB   

DLM will only increase target margin to 15db in steps of 3db  if it detects an unstable connection it may also increase interleave depth where there are lots of CRCs. so  your DS SNR margin has been applied by your ISP.
Regards Jeff
zen user

Gummby

Silly question maybe, but are you using the USB or Ethernet connection on your Voyager?

Ethernet. I don't think the BT Voyager has a USB point. Either that or I never used the right cable.

Is USb quicker than Ethernet.

I think when I get the new modem i will leave it on 24/7.  £7 a year seems small fry. I certainly don't want to trigger an environmental debate. I was more concerned about the modem over heating than the cost of running it 24/7.

When I get the new modem installed I will look at getting the settings redone and going to the ISP with soem figures on the speed side. 6mb speed is rubbish really.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

No, using a USB connection is inferior to using an Ethernet connection. :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

I think when I get the new modem i will leave it on 24/7.  £7 a year seems small fry. I certainly don't want to trigger an environmental debate. I was more concerned about the modem over heating than the cost of running it 24/7.

For what it's worth, I share your concern over fire hazard it's something I could worry about quite a lot, if I allowed myself to do so.   I can remember, as a teen-ager of the 1970s, my father actually switched both gas & electric off at the mains before going to bed, just for peace of mind.

But it (leaving things on 24/7) seems to have become unavoidable in many aspects of the technological age.  DECT phones for example, fridges, intruder alarms, the list is endless.  My view is that I just have to trust the manufacturer to ensure the risk is very very low, (and make sure my home insurance is up to date!).   

Even my car, I recently discovered, springs to life while locked up in the garage in the wee small hours, running its ventilation fans at full speed for 10 minutes to deodorise the system.

And in fairness I do suspect that modern electronics apparatus is several orders of magnitude safer than that of 50 years ago.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I don't think the BT Voyager has a USB point. Either that or I never used the right cable.

I thought you said you were using a Voyager 210. That has one Ethernet and one USB port.
The Ethernet port is much preferred if your PC is suitably equipped.  ;)

Gummby

I don't think the BT Voyager has a USB point. Either that or I never used the right cable.

I thought you said you were using a Voyager 210. That has one Ethernet and one USB port.
The Ethernet port is much preferred if your PC is suitably equipped.  ;)

Yeah it does have a USb port. I was thinking the end that went into the pc not visa versa.

The modem has arrived. Not had a chance to install it yet.

adam25185

If you do manage to get hold of a DG834(G)v4 you will be able to manually adjust the SNR Margin target using the telnet interface. Details are on this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6