Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSL Up to 8Mb Issues  (Read 2637 times)

number4

• Just arrived
DSL Up to 8Mb Issues
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »

Good afternoon.

I am totally new to diagnosing problems with ADSL issues, I have read a lot on this site trying to work out if I should be able to achieve 8Mb download speed, with my current noise and attenuation levels.

When the line was upgraded I was managing to get download speeds slightly over 5Mb they are now down to just under 4Mb. I was told by the telco that they can send out an engineer to look at the line to see if there are any issues that can be remedied, but I may be charged if it turns out my kit is at fault.

So I wanted to rule out any internal problems, maybe try a few tricks such as removing the ring wire??

Here are my current stats:

Data Rate
Stream Type   Actual Data Rate
Up Stream           639 (Kbps.)
Down Stream       4409 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Operation Data   Upstream   Downstream
Noise Margin       22 dB           7 dB
Attenuation          43 dB           41 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name                         Near End Indicator       Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction          0                 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction   0                 4397928
Fast Path CRC Error                   2                 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error           0                     41335
Loss of Signal Defect                   0                 ---
Fast Path HEC Error                   0                 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error           0                 0

Please help me, do these stats indicate that I shouldn't reach 8Mb?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSL Up to 8Mb Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »

It's a bit difficult to be sure, because the router seems to be misreporting some values. It's extremely unlikely that the upstream attenuation will be 43 dB when the downstream is 41 dB. Assuming that the downstream figure is correct, you might get a connection speed of about 6700 kbps if everything is working at its optimum.

The fact that you're getting a significant amount less than that suggests that there's some sort of problem. There are some suggestions for improving your line here (if you haven't already read it), but disconnecting the ring wire is a good place to start. Remove it at the master socket end; you can remove it in the extensions as well if you want, but it won't usually make any difference.
  Eric

number4

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »

Hi thanks for the reply, well I tried removing the ring wire from the master socket, slot 3 orange cable, slots 2 and 5 were the other two using a blue and blue/white cables.

Once I had done this my router would not reconnect to the DSL circuit. I had to end up putting the orange cable back into slot 3 to get DSL back up and running.

I checked all my extensions in the house and they all have the same 3 cables. I then noticed that I have a wiring box in the airing cupboard where all these cables come into it seems and kind of daisy chain each other.

Any ideas what this is, and what I can do?

Regards

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »

The wiring to the box in the airing cupboard needs investigating. If things were wired up correctly, removing the ring wire couldn't possibly stop the DSL connecting. So it looks as though the ring wire on pin 3 has been crossed over with either pin 2 or pin 5 somewhere.

If you've got an NTE5 type of master socket you could try removing the faceplate and connecting the router to the test socket inside. This will eliminate all your internal wiring and enable you to see what performance your line is capable of.
  Eric

number4

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »

Unfortunately I don't have the faceplate mentioned a lot on these forums. When i remove the face plate, I do not have a test socket to use, just the 3 cables in 2, 3 and 5. I can post a photo if that would help?

Thanks again

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »

sounds like some b@stard attempt at DIY star wiring, coming from that airing cupboard junction box. I recon that's where the initial crossed cabling will be traced to......

As Roseway has suggested, either the router is mis-reporting the line attenuation, or it's being caused by the wiring, but the ratio of upstream and downstream attenuation is way out, should be more like the upstream being around half the downstream.
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

number4

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »

I spoke to the telecom company, apparently that attenuation is being reported wrong and is about half of the downstream.

I have called out an engineer, but if they find the problem to be with my internal wiring I have to pay a call out charge.

I am wondering, if I need to remove the ring wire from not only the master socket, but all the extensions that it daisy chains to?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »

I am wondering, if I need to remove the ring wire from not only the master socket, but all the extensions that it daisy chains to?

As I said, it won't do any harm, but in a properly wired system it's unlikely to do any good either. The point is that terminal 3 in an extension socket isn't going to have anything connected to it anyway, unless you have an old or unusual phone which uses the ring connection.

You really need to sort out the wiring. Just make sure that terminals 2 and 5 are connected to the same terminals in each extension, using a twisted pair of wires (conventionally the blue and white pair).
  Eric