Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TV licensing ad: Who writes this stuff?  (Read 4639 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
TV licensing ad: Who writes this stuff?
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »

Is anyone else getting as fed up with the new TV Licensing "ad" on the BBC as I am?
You know the one where "young mum" answers the phone, immediately starts "chatting" and gives baby the dog food and vice-versa!

Stereotypes on Steroids I reckon. Surprised no-one has complained......

I wonder if it was written by a man or a woman, young or old, children or not?

The smarmy female voice-over which starts "You're busy..." is particularly condescending.
No you're not - you're just emptying a tin of dog food into a bowl for the dog and equivalent for the baby/toddler.
Then you answer the phone to an apparent long-lost friend, totally forget what your priorities are and get engrossed in a gossip!  >:D

Time for one of these I reckon:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TV licensing ad: Who writes this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »

I haven't seen that one, but nothing to do with TV Licensing surprises me any more. I think they're a thoroughly nasty organisation. >:(
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »

Yeah... Ive seen it several times... and just thought whats the point...   if youre that busy just use the direct debit form that comes with the bill and then you dont have to do anything at all.   

Ive not had to do anything at all with mine for about the past 12 years since I did that..  so why push the online payment.  :confused:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »

I'm of the same thought as you kitz. I pay be direct debit also, however I have had to keep putting money in the bank every year. how do you get away without doing anything? :lol:

Seriously, I'm sure there are better ways to spend the income on than silly things like that on the telly. It must cost a small fortune for some-one to come up with the idea. I bet they don't pay for it out of their own pocket!
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »

Like Kitz I pay by DD, and over forty-four years have never failed to pay the licence fee. Therefore I have never had a problem, bar once. And that arose from my wife being a couple of months older than I. I was the licence payer: she would trigger the over 75 concession sooner. Even the problems of that transfer of licencee was solved with strong but polite correspondence.

Therefore I question, if the need for such ads, arises from waste at TVL, but actually is a consequence of a morality shift in our society, transience of population  with some chaotic life styles.

I get a distinct impression that Post Modernism's 'if it works for me, it's right' is the underlying cause of unwillingness, determination to disobey laws including payment of the licence.

Look in on Digital Spy and there are numerous posts, that boil down to, 'I never watch BBC, so why should I pay?" Self self self!

So IMHO to defeat the dodgers another collection system is needed, something like a flat surcharge on council tax with refunds claimable by those who lawfully do not need a licence.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »

So IMHO to defeat the dodgers another collection system is needed, something like a flat surcharge on council tax with refunds claimable by those who lawfully do not need a licence.

The problem there is that many also don't pay council tax(due to benefits).

There will always be a section of society that won't pay nothing,ie TV license,car tax,insurance etc.They are prepared to flout the law as the penalties for getting caught don't out weigh the risks taken avoiding these taxes etc

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »

Please don't be offended if I politely disagree with that suggestion.   I have several friends who simply choose to not have a TV, and I'm not entirely sure they would welcome the idea of having to pay for something they don't want, and then having to claim it back again :o

Not everybody who is hassled by TV licensing's threatening letters is a dodger, if fact I suspect only a tiny minority are dodgers.  I wonder how much money they could save, and hence reduce license fees, by:

(1) ruthlessly 'downsizing' their enforcement department and budgets.
and
(2) stopping these daft adverts - they must cost £££ to make.

edit:  I said  said 'tiny majority' in this post originally, not a Freudian slip I hope   :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:11:48 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »

Please don't be offended if I politely disagree with that suggestion.   I have several friends who simply choose to not have a TV, and I'm not entirely sure they would welcome the idea of having to pay for something they don't want,
But surely we do this all the time with taxes, it's part of living in a "society".
Follow the logic of that to it's conclusion and it will all get very silly.

However, you're comments have made me think. Why not just pay for the BBC out of general taxation with an appropriate funding formula?
Then the whole expensive structure around licensing could be disbanded, saving us all money. :graduate:

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

Here the 'council tax ' 'rates'    TV licence, or whatever are regarded simply as 'Impots'  taxes .... and are all inclusive on an annual charge  retrospectively ( this can be paid monthly/quarterly/half  yearly/annually) and is based on the income of the household.   Anyone not  completing an annual declaration will be charged at the maximum rate   !!! failure to pay is not a good idea !!!    which results in the vast majority making a declaration !    Hence you pay the property tax, bin collection tax and TV Tax all in one payment.   If you don't have a TV there is a section where a declaration is made to this effect and no charge is made.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »

But surely we do this all the time with taxes, it's part of living in a "society".
Follow the logic of that to it's conclusion and it will all get very silly.

Really?  I can't think of a comparable precedent... a TV is not a state-provided service that we should have to opt out of, it is supposed to be a 'luxury good' which we can choose to buy or not to buy.

Would you extend this suggestion to, say, car road fund licenses, such that everybody pays up front as if they owned a car, and then people who don't own cars could claim a rebate?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:08 PM »

@sevenlayermuddle :)

I take no offence: everyone is entitled to an opinion.
It no matter that everyone's opinion is ..... ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

I haven't seen that one, but nothing to do with TV Licensing surprises me any more. I think they're a thoroughly nasty organisation. >:(

They certainly are - and hopelessly incompetent too. The whole 'enforcement' system is an expensive farce, which could easily be avoided.

If the BBC stopped trying to compete with everyone else, and became a genuine 'public service' broadcaster, anyone who wished could subscribe to their encrypted services - no 'enforcement' necessary. We have the technology!  ::)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »

I dont watch adverts even on the BBC, that time is for making tea/coffee, getting another bottle of what you fancy, or going to the loo!!!!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP