Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DG834G Target SNR Using Telnet  (Read 15187 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DG834G Target SNR Using Telnet
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »

I trust you didn't think I was implying that, Eric:no:

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. :)

b*cat smiles and makes a note to ensure that he tries to be as precise as possible in all his future postings. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adam25185

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

I have attached the two graphs for SNR Margin and Sync Speed. This is with the whole modem reset and the SNR Margin target at default. As you can see, there are no problems. I will run a longer scan tomorrow.

Cheers for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »

Hi
Have you kept a record of the router stats including errors ?
Now that RS is running when you get the slw down in throughput you should see that your Synch rate does not change now even if the snr drops this should have no affect unless it causes a resync or as I said before creates too many CRCs . Have you selected to Graph the "RX crc/es/lof

Regards Jeff
zen user

adam25185

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »

Have you kept a record of the router stats including errors ?

I don't know where to find this? Do you mean the log? The log has a lot of features from me adjusting things where I have disconnected it.

Now that RS is running when you get the slw down in throughput you should see that your Synch rate does not change now even if the snr drops this should have no affect unless it causes a resync or as I said before creates too many CRCs .

I can't see anything at all shift in the router stats upon slowdown. I will check carefully next time I experience one.

Have you selected to Graph the "RX crc/es/lof

Regards Jeff

Can't see where to do this? In RS?

I will upload full 24-hour stats graphs when I return home. As I explained, they basically don't show anything.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

I can't see anything at all shift in the router stats upon slowdown. I will check carefully next time I experience one.

That's pretty much what I expected, I saw no reason to think it was your router, or wiring, or lack of margin, that was at fault.  But I also didn't want to feel responsible for persuading you to switch ISPs, or to pay more to your current ISP for a better package, without first eliminating other causes :)

You could also take a look through the tweaking/MTU/RWIN guidance at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU2.htm , but I frankly think you're just experiencing ISP congestion and/or traffic management.

If I were in your shoes, given the analysis you've already done, I'd probably decide that the time had come to migrate to another ISP (or to a 'better' demon package).  I can't promise with 100% certainty it would improve things much, but I'd be willing to take the chance.  But that's your choice...  and who knows, there might be some aspect of your home setup that we've all overlooked?

One more thing occurs, though....  talking of things we might be overlooking, I've been assuming the problems you are experiencing are on a wired connection.  If you are using Wi-Fi then let us know, as that's a whole other kettle of fish that can have problems of its own.

adam25185

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »

I've attached nearly 24 hours of Routerstats graphs. These seem to show no loss of sync, which has been my experience since I upgraded my modem and filters (see page 1 of this thread). It should be noted that I've not experienced any slowdowns in this 24-hour period either (possibly as I have been at work all the time  >:().

I should now look at the SNR Margin when I experience a slowdown and see whether this drops to zero?

I will also try using an ethernet cable, although I've tried this before and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Please let me know your opinion of what I should do next.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:32:50 PM by adam25185 »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

Well, assuming wi-fi is not the problem, here's my thoughts, others may differ...

There was a bit of s step improvement in SNRM around about 7am, and a step back about 5pm, which is unusual... a gradual slope between day & night is more common.  If you could work out what caused that step, and if you could do anything about it, you might be able to maintain a slightly better connection speed.   But it's all a bit irrelevant as connection speed (correct me if I'm wrong) is not what's worrying you, it's the pauses and EXTREME go-slows in throughput.  I don't see anything to explain these problems, and therefor I'd attribute them to ISP congestion or traffic management.

As stated, I am also with demon, and I see pretty much the same symptoms that you describe.  All is generally OK but in recent months but, if I'm doing a lot of downloads as I am at the moment (experimenting with Linux builds), then every so often - say, several times an hour, things grind almost to a standstill for perhaps a minute or two. I can never prove whether the host websites or demon is the bottleneck, but demon is the common denominator.

It maybe worth noting that demon do have a usage allowance but it's quite generous and, unless you're in the habit of continuously downloading HD movies, I doubt that's the problem.  And anyway, a usage cap wouldn't show up as 'intermittent' slow downs.

Given the evidence you've obtained I'm inclined to suggest that demon is the problem.  You could complain to them, but they likely try and fob you off.  In any case, if their network is chronically congested then they probably already know about it and made a corporate decision not to care about it.   You could complain vigorously, and demand that they let you out of any remaining contract period, but they may of course refuse.   Realistically, your best bet may simply be to accept any extra cost, and switch to a different ISP.  But see my cautions in previous post, it has to be your own decision.

Or does anybody else think differently...?

- 7LM

adam25185

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

I'm actually out of contract with Demon now, so that's not a problem. My only restriction is that I don't want more than a 12-month contract since I may not be living here after 12 months. I did a LLU search on samknows.com with the results in the jpeg. Please let me know what ISPs you think might be the best choice? I hear good things about Sky from my friend.

Some ISPs eg Andrews & Arnold seem to have very good ratings but are very expensive.

I also want an ISP without a traffic management policy for P2P applications (eg not Plusnet).

Thanks for your help again.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:24:59 PM by adam25185 »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »

I'm actually out of contract with Demon now, so that's not a problem. My only restriction is that I don't want more than a 12-month contract since I may not be living here after 12 months. I did a LLU search on samknows.com with the results in the jpeg. Please let me know what ISPs you think might be the best choice? I hear good things about Sky from my friend.

Some ISPs eg Andrews & Arnold seem to have very good ratings but are very expensive.

I also want an ISP without a traffic management policy for P2P applications (eg not Plusnet).

Thanks for your help again.

Hopefully others will now join in and advise.  My only experience is with demon - who used to be very good indeed at the dawn of home internet 10-15 years ago, what a shame they've gone so far downhill (my opinion only, of course).   I'd be willing to give a demon business account a try if they'd let me, on the off-chance it might improve things, but things might not improve, it could just become a case of good money after bad, so not sure it's what you want.

So speak up kitz'ers, any ISP recommendations for Adam, based on his criteria...?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »

Expense is relative, especially if it costs you a lot of trouble !

AAISP are good with good fault investigation capabilities. So are Zen Internet and their standard (not FTTC) products on a month's contract still (I think). Zen has an excellent fault reporting and logging system with a UK call centre using skilled technicians.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »

I think I'm with Walter here - to a large extent you do get what you pay for. However you generally get more for your money from LLU operators, and of the ones available to adam25185, Sky is probably the best option (although I don't have any personal experience of any of them).
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything