Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Newbie with 3 months + of connectivity issues - PLEASE HELP  (Read 61218 times)

sparklyman

Re: Newbie with 3 months + of connectivity issues - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »

.....no call from TT today....???

.....no visit from BT either.....???

I'll give TT a call tomorrow PM to find out why nothing happened to the Friday promises

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

Patience of Job springs to mind  :'(

How TT can leave you without a phone connection but give you broadband I'll never understand.....do they really expect you to use one or the other but not both ?

sparklyman

« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

...called TT today for update - apparently Bt have already visited, assessed the job & decided they need an aerial platform to conduct the work.......?

Now I'm in a queue, waiting for the next platform to be available - no date given for probable day of works ????

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »

...called TT today for update - apparently Bt have already visited, assessed the job & decided they need an aerial platform to conduct the work.......?

Now I'm in a queue, waiting for the next platform to be available - no date given for probable day of works ????

:-X

I just hope that you are kept informed of when the OR engineering team will arrive. Because, to do the job to the required standard, access to your NTE5/A will be required.

Perhaps word of the quality of your bacon sandwiches has spread throughout the local OR engineering depot and all the engineers are looking for a reason to assist with the fix.  ;)

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sparklyman

« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »

Evening all,

Well.....looks like I'm fixed !  24hrs + of stability, 8.3dB SNR with 17.8M Sync - no drop outs at all since the last BT & TT line tests yesterday afternoon/early evening.

A new lead in was provided off the existing BT16 box on the fascia (itself renewed 3-4 weeks ago) - all done using ladders (no aerial platform mentioned at all ?) . However, with the new feed another fault popped up, which was "moled" & indicated at the DP across the road. BT Engineer said my pair gave way when he gave it a tug, so he simply re-terminated it and the fault dissapeared.

Seems the new pair pushed up from the exchange permently exposed the fault at the rear of the property, where an old drop wire was terminated under a ceramic insulator. This old cable in now redundant, but eliminating it exposed another "HR" fault in the DP across the road.

So, after all this it wasn't TT equipment - they were adamant all along it was a line fault....seems they were actually correct - also seems it may have actually be 3 faults all along, maybe some masking others, maybe all showing themselves randomly over the last 5 months & 1 week !

I'm pretty certain the fault is cured now - I'm going to monitor it over the weekend, then report back to you all

I wont post the latest captures as they're both straight line responses

Back in 3 days, hopefully to close this thread !

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

This time I feel optimistic.  Let's hope it's justified.

....seems they were actually correct

err, I don't know that I'd go that far.   Until you started this thread TalkTalk's response seemed to be to endlessly fob you off with different DLM profiles, whilst denying that any fault at all existed.  I have no reason to doubt that is their usual standard of customer service, and no reason to doubt that another customer in your circumstances would receive exactly the same absurd treatment tomorrow.

Full credit to yourself for seeing it through to resolution but you're in a small minority of the populace who would have the determination to do so.

Well done! :drink:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »

Well.....looks like I'm fixed !  24hrs + of stability, 8.3dB SNR with 17.8M Sync - no drop outs at all since the last BT & TT line tests yesterday afternoon/early evening.

Excellent!  :clap2:  I won't get too excited  :dance:  :silly:  until after I have read your next post.

What I will say is after you have monitored straight line graphs for a suitable period of time, it could be well be to your advantage to ask the TT forum OCEs to set your line profile to 24FSNR6. By ensuring that interleaving is turned off (the F, for fast-path) and that your target SNRM is set to 6 dB (the SNR6), the line's performance will be maximised.  :)

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

sounds good, let's hope it keeps that way :)

I have had experience of having TT get OR to look for a line fault.....so know where you've been with this. But I have to say, one of the TT Qube bods wasn't too bad, as was the last OR bod who finally got the little burger after me shoving many DMT graphs under his nose ;)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

sparklyman

« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

Hi All,

Well, after almost 6 months I'm pleased to confirm that the fault(s) have now been fixed and I have had a stable 6dB SNR with 20Mb sync for about the last 2 weeks - no drops ! TT have now closed the fault.

For future reference this was a Line fault, not equipment as I suspected. It was actually 3 line faults (all seemed to be HR type). When one fault was cured it exposed another further down the line towards the exchange, but all within 40m of the NTE.

I believe the major event was the fourth (or fifth - can't remember now) BT visit where a new pair was pushed through, all the way from the exchange to the DP. This new copper exposed the closest fault (15m from the NTE) permanently and left me with no service for 5 days. Engineer advised the new copper allowed a higher line voltage which exposed the fault pemanently. When BT returned, they ran a new lead in from the BT16 which made the old lead in completely redundant, thus removing the 15m fault. However, this exposed another fault 40m away in the DP - a simple cut back & re-termination cured this and dropless connectivity was restored.

I'd like to thank all of you for your insight into ADSL and the assistance you all gave trying to figure out what the issue was. Routerstats really allowed the fault to be observed and was a major tool in getting a representation of the issue across to BT each visit. TT never actually requested any copies of the captures, but I did make them aware I had plenty to give if it would help them interogate and provide a diagnosis.

Anyway, surfing is now problem free and second nature - done all my online Xmas shopping .......just in time as the post is now starting to slow up dramtically, so the fault was cured just in time to save any more stress.

Wish you all the very best for 2012, have a great Xmas - thanks again for your continued support with this issue - great site, very friendy, learn't SO much about broadband here.........so I'm now off to make a small Paypal donation.

Best Regards
Will

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »

I'm really pleased to read your most recent posting, Will.

It's now time for  :congrats:   :yum:   :thumbs:   :clap:

On behalf of Kitz and her team I will thank you for the donation, which will be used for keeping this site running.  :)

Best wishes for Christmas and the forthcoming new year.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »

That's very generous of you, Will, and I'm delighted to hear that you've got a successful outcome at last. :congrats:
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »

Definite cause for celebration :drink: :drink:

Can't live anywhere near Oldham then  ;)

Paul.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]