Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Newbie with 3 months + of connectivity issues - PLEASE HELP  (Read 61217 times)

sparklyman

Re: Newbie with 3 months + of connectivity issues - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »

...still on the phone to TT, but making progress ( I think).

Preston engineer has advised line has been capped since 7th Oct to improve stability, hence 256kbps speed.

He has also advised that every single "profile" has been tried since 23rd September....with no improvement.

I have asked what that would imply - exchange, external Line, internal line, Router?

...will now call back on mobile whike tests line

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

@Sparklyman

Both Oranged and I have been thinking along the same lines. In the time between this and my previous posting, I have been over to the TT forum and have asked if one of the OCE's will please review this thread.

I'll now urge you to register on the TT forum, look down the list under Broadband Connection & Stability and take over the thread that I have just opened, entitled A Request On Behalf Of Another TT Customer;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

@Sparklyman

Both Oranged and I have been thinking along the same lines. In the time between this and my previous posting, I have been over to the TT forum and have asked if one of the OCE's will please review this thread.

I'll now urge you to register on the TT forum, look down the list under Broadband Connection & Stability and take over the thread that I have just opened, entitled A Request On Behalf Of Another TT Customer;)

That does sound like an excellent suggestion to me.   But if you do so, please still keep us updated as to how it gets resolved.   :)

sparklyman

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »

...just got off the phone. The chap I finally ended up talking to (at length) was a lot more helpful.

Another line test "passed".

Next route forward is to replace the router - new item despatched yesterday. Qube engineer has been scheduled for Friday - New router should arrive in time to swap out for 24hrs & monitor before deadline for cancellation (Thursday 4pm).

If visit finds no fault with New router or interbal wiring, then fault will be escalated to BT for investigation of Line/Exchange.

I did try to register with the TT forum a couple of days ago....trouble is it wouldn't recognise my telephone number of Account number....so had to write to the Webmaster (as advised)......no reply as of yet ?

....but I will migrate to the new Thread that's been opened for me and hope that TT make contact - although I'm not sure they can do anything pending the arrival of new router and Fridays visit.

Connection remains stable since switching Modulation to ADSL2+. No drop outs since (apart from TT line test around 18:18). 256K cap remains....not sure when this will be lifted ?? Will I have to ask TT to remove the cap, or will it form part of the natural progress of fault rectification ?

I will keep you posted over the next few days - I appreciate all your input, it has served a number of purposes 1) I'm now a lot more conversant with ADSL & broadband which, I feel, 2) allowed the TT chap to give me further insight into things, knowing he wasn't baffling me with terminology

Best Regards
 :)

sparklyman

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:46 PM »

burrkatt - just viewed your thread on the TT forum.

....maybe you would be good enough to advise the 2 posters, Trinity & Redchiz) that I 'm unable to register on the TT forum becuase the registration process I went through, days ago, would not recognise my Telephone or account number AND I contacted said person, who the system advised to contact if such a failure to recognise details occurred (seems they have experience of people having connectivity trouble, even with the forum ?) and said person has not yet contacted me....so I am still unable to get access to the forum.....which is why I posted on Kitz ! TT was my first choice, naturally, but alas.........

Nothing but problems trying to communicate with TT...........

Thanks in advance of your help

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »

hi
Line Attenuation
Up    10.0 down    19.0         
SN Margin 
up  29.0 down    47.5
This says it all the set up is wrong ,regardless of anything else on GDMT with your attenuation of 19db you should synch at about 8128 which is the maximum for  GDMT.You are not achieving this because of the extremely High snr Margin ( 47.5). Every 3db above 6db will be costing you about 800Kbps of synch depending on bit loading . In your case because you have so little attenuation you can take it that it is costing that amount. so that works out at (48-6)/3=14*800K=11.2Kbps (theoretical loss of Synch rate for this line on GDMT )

ADSL2+
quote:
Line Attenuation     
up    10.3 down    18.0           
SN Margin
 up    31.3 down    42.9
the same sort comments for adsl2+. but as there are twice as many bins then the possible losses could well be up to 1600Kbps per 3db above 6db of SNR margin depending on bit loading .s
expected max synch rate 20960Kbps .
SNR margin of 42.9 would give (43-6)/3*1600Kbps) ~=19200Kbps(theoretical loss of Synch rate for this line on ADSL2+ )

That is an ISP problem .
However I notice that your SNR margin did drop at about just before 1640hrs did you lose synch? .Unfortunately your Synch rate graph starts after that event **.That level of drop from 46db is really serious.,there must have been an enormous noise spike .

** You may have an option to superimpose the synch rate date onto the SNR margin graph .Right  click on the SNR margin graph and see if you have the option.
Continue monitoring both the snr Margin and the synch rate the graphs times may reveal a pattern.

Regards Jeff
edit quote :Will I have to ask TT to remove the cap, or will it form part of the natural progress of fault rectification ?
Yes TT will probably need to sort it out .

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:34:29 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »

If visit finds no fault with New router or interbal wiring, then fault will be escalated to BT for investigation of Line/Exchange.

Well, that does not sound too unreasonable (I assume it will cost you nothing, as long as no internal faults are found).  Keep us updated. 

My opinion is that your router is most unlikely to be at fault.    To be fair though stranger things have happened, it could even be mis-reporting the stats, in which case all the goalposts move, we'd have to ignore all the numbers we've seen.  So TT will want to eliminate it from blame before risking charges from BT for a 'no fault found' visit.

But I'm still a bit shocked and disturbed that anybody with engineering responsibility at TT thought that capping your line (reported attenuation 18dB) at 256kb was a remotely valid 'solution' to the problem.  I wonder, if the dropouts had ceased with the 256k cap, would they have left it that way and declared the issue  'resolved' ?   :o

sparklyman

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »

Jeff.....so you believe this is likely to be an ISP equipment issue ?  I've had TT conduct 3x line tests in the last 3 months, 2 have passed, one has failed with an "earth" fault. TT have confimed this test/fail result as it's recorded on my "notes". I have advised the fault as intermittant - to me that seems conversant with the 2x pass 1x fail results logged. The drop-out at 16:40 was when I switched from G.DMT to ADSL2+. I don't seem to have the option to log date on the graphs (Routersta LITE limitation I guess)

If the visit finds no internal fault, then it's escalated to BT to check line/exchange....but where does TT's own equioment come under scrutiny as a possible cause ? If it is incorectly set-up provision, at what point will this possibility be investigated ? I think I now understand that my previous Orange provision used BT Exchange equipment, whereas the TT ADSL2+ LLU now uses TT equipment - is this correct ? If so, is this equipment loactaed in a TT switchroom somewhere, or is it located in my local BT exchange ? I'm surpised that the possible cause has only ever been discussed as a BTline/exchange issue or a residential wiring/equipment issue......where does TT's own equioment come in the chain of provision ?

Just found this on Wikipedia - could this mean that I'm actually connected to out of date/troublesome/unfamiliar AOL or Tiscali equipment ?

As of 14 January 2006, 210,000 local loop connections had been unbundled from BT operation under local loop unbundling. Ofcom had hoped that 1 million local loop connections would be unbundled by June 2006. However, as reported by The Register, on 15 June 2006, the figure had reached only 500,000, but was growing by 20,000 a week. Ofcom announced in November 2006 that 1,000,000 connections had been unbundled.[4] By April 2007, the figure was 2,000,000.[5]

By June 2006, AOL UK had unbundled 100,000 lines through its £120 million investment[citation needed], making it the largest single LLU operator in the UK market[citation needed].

On 10 October 2006, Carphone Warehouse announced the purchase of AOL UK, the leading LLU operator, for £370m.[6] This makes Carphone Warehouse the 3rd largest broadband provider and the largest LLU Operator with more than 150,000 LLU customers.[7]

On 8 May 2009, TalkTalk, who are owned by The Carphone Warehouse, announced that they would purchase ailing Tiscali UK's assets for £235 million. On 30 June 2009, Tiscali sold its UK subsidiary to The Carphone Warehouse following regulatory approval from the European Union. This purchase made TalkTalk the biggest Home Broadband supplier in the UK, with 4.25 million home broadband subscribers, compared with BT's 3.9 million. The service was rebranded as TalkTalk in January 2010.

Most LLU operators only unbundle the broadband service leaving the traditional telephone service using BT's core equipment (with or without the provision of Carrier preselect). Where the traditional telephone service is also unbundled (full LLU), operators usually prohibit the facility where selected calls can be made using the networks of other telephone providers (i.e. accessed using a 3 to 5 digit prefix beginning with '1'). These calls can usually still be made by using an 0800 or other non-geographic (NGN) access code
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:42:16 PM by sparklyman »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »

burrkatt - just viewed your thread on the TT forum.

....maybe you would be good enough to advise the 2 posters, Trinity & Redchiz) that I 'm unable to register on the TT forum becuase the registration process I went through, days ago, would not recognise my Telephone or account number AND I contacted said person, who the system advised to contact if such a failure to recognise details occurred (seems they have experience of people having connectivity trouble, even with the forum ?) and said person has not yet contacted me....so I am still unable to get access to the forum.....which is why I posted on Kitz ! TT was my first choice, naturally, but alas.........

Nothing but problems trying to communicate with TT...........

Thanks in advance of your help

You are more than welcome. b*cat can not tolerate fools who think that the number of postings to their names actually gives them some special status to write on (self-appointed) behalf of an official TT OCE and has, after an appropriate sharpening of his claws, issued a public "paw swipe". >:(

I have posted your response there, verbatim, and expect an OCE to respond during office hours, tomorrow. :)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

can not tolerate fools who think that the number of postings to their names actually gives them some special status

And even make presumptions on behalf of the OCEs......totally out of order.

As ISP reps are welcomed on this forum, it would be gratifying to see an OCE respond here  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »

Have to say, that the two respondees so far on the TT forum thread do not make their forum seem like a nice place to be.     Not that I'm thinking of switching (I've just signed up another year with demon), but these sorts of posts could easily have put me off TT if I were.  :(

Meanwhile, I need to confess my ignorance (which has never been a secret really), but what is an OCE ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »

Ah, they be On-line Community Executives . . . members of TalkTalk staff whose purpose is to provide a company presence on the public fora and to deal with those issues that only employees of the company are capable of resolving.

Anyhow, a third member of the public has given me some useful advice -- to lock the thread to stop more spurious nonsensical postings and to let me know -- Sparklyman, please note -- that the OCE's currently have a backlog to work through. Eventually they will reach your plea for help regarding access to the TT fora and, somewhat later, my thread. (Subsequent posts to which have resulting in me getting very grumpy. Bah! >:(  )

Edited to add: I have received a TT forum PM from Barney and he tells me that the backlog may take 48 hours to be worked through. His advice to Sparklyman is to keep a watch on the thread that I started "over threre" for eventual OCE assistance -- if they do not respond to Sman directly.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:20:45 AM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »

Wishing to help, Barney has just sent me the following PM, the bulk of which to pass on to Sparklyman. Again I quote, verbatim --

There is certainly something odd going on with that chaps connection as it certainly does look like a fixed line profile, but once he has managed to register and post here the OCE will investigate thoroughly and do what they can to resolve it.

As a final bit of advice it might be worth providing these links for sparklyman do that he can prepare the information for when he is able to create a topic here;

Broadband Sticky Questions (http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43872)

Getting the questions answered (http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42443)

I can see he has had a lot of contact already via telephone support and is probably heartily sick of repeating information, but unfortunately the OCE will not have ready access to this information so it would be better if sparklyman could provide it in his first post so that the OCE can advise approrpiately when they pick it up. :)

sparklyman

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

Hi,

SInce my line has been capped to 256K, the drop-outs have because very much less frequent - only 2/3 yesterday afternoon/evening.

New router arrived today - plugged it and now running Routerstat......

.....first few samples show SNR Margin down to 14/15db ?

Here are latest stats;

System Uptime        1:51:33

Modem DSL(Sync) uptime        0:41:28

ADSL Mode        ADSL2 PLUS

Interleaving        On

DSL Line Speed      
up    251 kbps

down    261 kbps

Line Attenuation      
up    10.1

down    18.0

SN Margin      
up    27.2

down    14.4

Is this more like a "normal" reading ? Yesterday (with old router) it was around 38/39db ?

I'm thinking of plugging old router back in, in a few hours, to see if the SNR jumps back up to the 38/39 mark again - what do you think ?

Also have email from TT forum advising registration issue resolved, so I'm off to attempt log on......
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:04:05 PM by sparklyman »

sparklyman

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »

....spoke too soon.

Unfortunately connection is back to it's old tricks - here is the latest capture

Does this point to anything obvious ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14