Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dunno what's been up or if hardware problem  (Read 5182 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Dunno what's been up or if hardware problem
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »

Mods move this one where you will!

Recently, having left computer idle for some while, on return all has been locked up.Mouse and keyboard remained unlit. The monitor shortly after switch on keeps going to power save. The only solution has been to power off/on at mains  and reboot. Unless switched off power has passed to computer throughout

Same happened this afternoon, but no amount of above availed. Despite checks that the usb leads were firmly in, swapping ports used: zilch.
I checked that power was being delivered through a usb port by connecting my external drive; it started.

I borrowed my daughter's mouse and somehow got connected, with the last program used appearing. However I could not exit, nor would task mgr work. Shut down and rebooted. AOK!

It seems then that the mouse should be the  culprit, but is that a too simple conclusion?

So friends! What else could the problem be; what else need I check before  I go down to PCW for a new mouse?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Dunno what's been up or if hardware problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »

It might be an idea to check to see if the motherboard's backup-battery for the BIOS configuration data, etc, is still delivering the requisite number of volts.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »

Errrr! ;D How do I do that then?

Had to fiddle again. Once  mouse was on got message that usb drive was installing???? :-\ why should it need to again!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »

Once  mouse was on got message that usb drive was installing???? :-\ why should it need to again!

I wonder if that is another indicator that the battery has reached (or is reaching) the end of its life . . .

The purpose of the battery is to preserve the configuration of the hardware set-up and the software status, etc, when you allow the system to go to sleep (enter the suspend or hibernate state) in a small dedicated memory chip. If the battery starts to fail, the system can begin to behave erratically.

Do you still have the hardware documentation for your system? If so, you should find details of how to locate and change the battery. If not, can you make use of somebody else's system and perform a Google search for "<make> <model> battery replacement" (where <make> and <model> are replaced by the obvious strings).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:19:34 AM »

I always thought the motherboard battery was for the dynamic bios settings and nothing to do with the OS. Windows is what should keep all the settings of the OS even when on standy by or sleep mode. As far as I am aware Windows will write the current configuration to permanent hard drive before closing down.
As for your problem renluop, I don't have an answer other than it might be a good time to check the ram sticks are seated properly. Take them out and replace them carefully. Then do a full virus scan.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »

I'm as puzzled as the others on this. One thing you might try (if you haven't already) is to connect the mouse to a different part of the USB system - if it's normally connected at the back, try plugging it into a front USB port, or vice versa. I'm assuming that it is a USB mouse, but if it's a PS/2 mouse then try a USB mouse, or vice versa.
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:08:34 AM »

What OS and which Antivirus are you using ?   There have been issues in Win7 and certain AV software with coming out of sleep mode.

Knew I had the references somewhere ........

http://www.vista4beginners.com/node/589   (XP, Vista Win7 )

http://www.computer-how-to-guide.com/windows-software/windows-7-standby-sleep-hibernation/  ( Win7 specific sleep mode issues.)

Also some AV systems have killed wake up from sleep mode in Win7.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:15:02 AM by AdrianH »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »

Further to the above suggestions......

Do you have a screensaver set to start after a specific period of inactivity...if so check the settings and/or reset as it may have become corrupted and is blocking the OS.

Ditto for any power setting/ hibernation modes you may have set.

Are you certain that the PC was truly idle in your absence......any activity going on such as av updating, screensaver running, any scheduled tasks running. Just wondering as the freeze you describe could result from overheating. Open the tower and make sure that the vents/fans/heatsink are not clogged with dust and that all fans are working properly.

Check that your mouse drivers have not become corrupted.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »

Apolgies for breif replies to helpers :)
@roseway
Yes have used various usb ports front and back.

@ AdrianH
 Win7 HomePrem 64bit; Avast free

@ tuftedduck
No screen saver. Will check other suggestions

@ SS
 Virus scan due anyhow. Can't see how the RAM sticks could be dislodged.

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »

Try this then http://www.computer-how-to-guide.com/windows-software/windows-7-standby-sleep-hibernation if that doesn't sort it we need to look at avast!, there are threads on the support forum but I cannot get in there at present, it looks like the forum is under a DDOS attack as it is timing out between pages.

Another thought, can you give us the version numbers for your avast! install.  There has been a rogue app/malware going around which adds 2012 to your AV's name , so you see avast!2012 Free ...... which does not exist and that causes the issues you describe.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:40:27 AM by AdrianH »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:05:18 AM »

The ram sticks don't need to be dislodged by a vast amount. They can work loose, believe me I have has it. The pins and sockets are self cleaning and as you take them out and put them back they get cleaned. Anyhow it seems that AdrinH is on the case so I'll keep quite. I just thought I would explain myself. :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »

@AdrianH
Link followed and obeyed. Avast is v6, and AFAICS no mention of 2012.

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »

@AdrianH
Link followed and obeyed. Avast is v6, and AFAICS no mention of 2012.

;D

OK see if you have any more problems, your avast!  looks genuine then  we just need to wait for their forum to behave for more than a few seconds if we need to look at the threads about "sleep" problems. I seem to remember that that this was a month or more ago so it should have been corrected in the latest versions.

anything