Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VGA port. DVD-I monitor.  (Read 12216 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
VGA port. DVD-I monitor.
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »

My trusty iiyama monitor of many years finally gave up the ghost yesterday and I ordered a new one from Amazon at what I thought was a good price, noticing that there were only 2 left.  Product was described as DVI-D, VGA.

Monitor arrived this morning but I have a problem, it appears that the product I ordered is out of stock and the page now directs to a slightly more expensive monitor, which is what they appear to have sent.

Set up:  Need to run dual monitors, old iiyama (1) had DVDI and VGA port.  Other monitor only has DVI-D port.

My graphics card is an nvidia geforce 8600 GT which has one VGA port and one DVI-D port.

So now I have 2 monitors that only have DVD-I + D-Sub  ports.

Suggestions for cheapest/quickest fix?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: VGA port. DVD-I monitor.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

I've no experience of dual monitors, but it looks as though a DVI-D splitter would fit the bill, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVI-D-Splitter-Cable-Computer-Projector/dp/B003JHGQYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317902580&sr=8-3

(I should say 'might' fit the bill. I don't know if splitters can deliver different pictures on the two monitors.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:09:01 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply eric.   
Will not allow you to connect to 2 computers to one display. The same image will be displayed on both monitors.

Not sure if that would work for what I want as the old set up allows for expanded desktop and you can drag an open window over to the other screen.   I use this set up a lot if Im working on the site as it allows me to code in one window whilst having the browser open in the other monitor.

I wondered if anyone knew if something like this would work
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabling4Less-DVI-VGA-HD15-Adaptor/dp/B000FII810/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317903147&sr=1-1

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »

The only comment about those adaptors is that they don't appear to include the pins for EDID (Plug and play) information from the monitor, which might make setting up a bit more difficult.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »

damn.

Currently on the phone to Amazon support trying to explain the problem to an 'Indian' gentleman.   Having problems trying to explain what I need.  So far he has agreed that the original product I ordered  should have a VGA port.. and is described as so  now hes gone away and Im on hold listening to music for ages.... because theres no more in stock.
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

I use one of those adapters Kitz, only the other way round to what you would need, I also run Linux which as of yet is a bit fiddly with dual monitors. I don't know about Windows, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. By the looks of those they are a good price as well. Just make sure you order the correct adapter though.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »

Just been cut off from Amazon..  last he said was they are arranging a refund as the product sent wasnt the one described and they have no more in stock to fulfil my order that has a VGA input.

Trying to get through again... to find out exactly what I have to do next.
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »

Surely it would be easier & cheaper to send you an adapter if that would be satisfactory for you.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »

Just been cut off from Amazon..  last he said was they are arranging a refund as the product sent wasnt the one described and they have no more in stock to fulfil my order that has a VGA input.

Trying to get through again... to find out exactly what I have to do next.

My own experience of returning an item to Amazon is that you will need to repackage the item,they will arrange collection and then once it has been checked back into their warehouse they will refund you.

Does it have to be an iiyama monitor........have you had a look on the Dell website? I have been more than happy with my Dell 23" monitor which I have had for over 4 years.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

You could probably get a VGA to HDMI converter for about £50 then use a cheap HDMI to DVI cable.
But getting a refund and buying a unit with both VGA and DVI inputs is probably a better solution.

Longer-term a different graphics card.... ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »

My own experience of returning an item to Amazon is that you will need to repackage the item,they will arrange collection and then once it has been checked back into their warehouse they will refund you.

That seems to be what they want me to do.  Ive just got an email with all the info on to send it back for a refund.

So now I start looking for a new monitor asap.  I would have preferred an iiyama as a 'pair' but Im open to suggestions as long as its black... and 22" or above.

I cant pull up the original amazon page now as its gone..  but it was £108... and it now re-directs to a different monitor.   This appears to be the monitor they sent as a replacement, that doesnt have the VGA input port, which will now have to go back. :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilyama-E2208HDD-inch-1080p-Monitor/dp/B003GXEWEI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:10:43 PM by kitz »
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »

I use a NVIDIA video card that has vga and HDMI outputs. The vga goes straight to the a vga monitor. I have an adapter so that I can use the HDMI output with another vga monitor. I know that there is a HDMI to vga adapter available so that one can use a HDMI cable with a vga output on the video card.
From what you describe Kitz this is what you need.

Or am I getting HDMI and DVD-i mixed up?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:17:28 PM by silversurfer44 »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

Which model is it you are after,is the one in the link the one they have sent you?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

I have just don e some checking and the outputs from the NVIDIA card is DVD-i & vga. This is what I have and use an adapter like the to connect a VGA monitor to the DVD-i output on the video card. Just as you can do for £1.14 or whatever it was on the link you posted.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »

Just to offer another option, is this the monitor you want? : http://www.ebuyer.com/206302-iiyama-e2208hdd-22-lcd-monitor-ple2208hdd-b
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything