Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Incoming calls - phone rings continuously & ADSL drops out

(1/3) > >>

biggus_richus:
Ever since we moved into our current home, whenever the phone rings, it does so with a continuous ring, rather than the usual ring-ring. At the same time all ADSL connections are dropped. We've put up with it for a while, and while tolerable, something's clearly wrong and I'd like to fix it.

The drop wire enters the property above our front door into a block terminal - from there, there's a wire going through two internal walls to the NTE5 master and there's another wire going back outside and up to an upstairs extension. The extension socket is flush mounted - it's not a generic DIY surface-mounted self-install kit.

Both sockets have dangly micro-filters. Not really sure where to start with this - any help greatly appreciated.

roseway:
Hi and welcome,

It appears that you have star wiring, which isn't necessarily bad, but makes diagnosis a bit more difficult.

Firstly, is there any audible noise on the phone (hissing or crackling)? If so, you should report it as a voice fault to whoever you pay your telephone rental to.

Can you confirm that phones in both sockets work normally, and that the ADSL connection drops whenever there's an incoming phone call, regardless of which phones are plugged in? Can you also try calling your number from a mobile when no phones are plugged in, just to make sure that the phones aren't the problem. Also, remove one of the dangly filters and try calling in, then swap them over and try again, or use a different filter altogether, to eliminate the filters as the cause.

Assuming that none of the above stops the disconnections from occurring, then it's most probable that you have a line fault, and should report it to your ISP.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: biggus_richus on October 06, 2011, 11:52:25 AM ---The drop wire enters the property above our front door into a block terminal - from there, there's a wire going through two internal walls to the NTE5 master and there's another wire going back outside and up to an upstairs extension.

--- End quote ---

I find your sentence, above, just a little bit ambiguous. As we operate on absolute precision, I would ask you to please clarify the following:

(1) Is the upstairs extension wired from the NTE5/A?
(2) Is the upstairs extension wired from the the junction box just inside your front door?

I suspect that Eric has assumed the latter.

Depending upon your answer, there could be other tests you should perform.

biggus_richus:
Thanks for your replies, and apologies for ambiguity. Eric has assumed correctly, the upstairs extension is wired from the junction box.

Bit more info, for what it's worth; the upstairs extension has no phone connected, just a microfilter and ADSL router. The master has microfilter and DECT phone connected.

Hopefully, I'll get round to running some tests at the weekend.

burakkucat:
Now that is clarified, we would like you to take a close look at the NTE5/A by unscrewing the lower-half front plate (part of your domain) and checking if there are any wires connected to the IDCs on its rear. If so, please note the wire colour and the IDC number.

Also carefully remove the cover from the junction box and note (1) cables (2) wire colours (3) interconnections. If that will be too difficult to describe by text, would you be able to take a clear photograph of the junction box's internals, please?

Finally, perform a similar examination on the upstairs extension socket, noting wire colours and IDCs to which they are connected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version