Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Line length from exchange  (Read 27303 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Line length from exchange
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

Hi Asbokid,

I'm also interested in refactoring the DMT-UX tool!

My suggestion is port all the code to the Qt framework, to make it platform-independent. This simplifies the interface, the socket control and other aspects of the program. Additionally simplifies the compile environment. Also, to make more simple the port to Windows, you don't need to exclude the RRDtool library, you can link to some of the two native versions:

http://www.gknw.net/mirror/rrdtool/
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/?M=D

My interest is for support more modem/routers... because the original DMT tool is close-sourced, and also the good OrbMT. So, I prefer to focus on add support to other devices.

What you think about it? When you publish the patched DMT-UX version?
Regards.

Hi trantore,

You have some very good plans  :)

A basic GUI client for DMT-UX has been built using GTK+ (see below), but I wouldn't know where to start with QT.  It sounds like QT has its own functions for network socket programming? Yikes!

The scraping and parsing code used by all of these tools could do with throwing on the fire. There are much cleaner ways of obtaining the data..

The 63xx xDSL device driver can be queried directly using ioctl() system calls. The driver responds by returning the data in a well-defined structure of xDSL MIB data objects. Those objects are defined according to RFC2662.  This method of obtaining line characteristics data avoids all that string chomping used by existing tools.

However, that better method of data retrieval comes at a price.  It requires a MIPS32 binary to be available on the modem to execute the ioctl() calls.  Where possible, the binary could be uploaded to the modem via tftpd/ftp/sftpd.  If the modem isn't running a file server then the 'telnet upload trick' could be used instead.  Ideally, though, the code to retrieve the line data from the xDSL driver would be built into new firmware.

What modems do you plan to get DMT-UX working with? And what xDSL chipsets do those modems use?

I will soon post the source code very soon. A new parser was built for the Huawei HG612 (pretty much the only VDSL2 modem used in Britain). But otherwise, I hardly changed DMT-UX at all.. Just a few tweaks for the larger tone maps and extra bands used by VDSL2.  And the magnitudes of some elements of the VDSL2 channel data were too big to be stored in a char, so the signs of the readings were being reversed as they 'rolled round'.

Cheers,
A

Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything