Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: clk; What is this and how do I get around it?  (Read 4464 times)

staffsman

clk; What is this and how do I get around it?
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

I wonder if anyone can help me here?
This is not going to be easy to explain but I'll try.
I use W7 - Kaspersky and Google Chrome.  I don't understand why this happens but it is very annoying.
Sometimes when I am web browsing and click a link I get 'clk;' followed by a long number in the address line in chrome and a blank page.  That's it, up till now I have just ignored it and moved on but today I have the problem which I need to get past.
I happens a lot when I try to access a page that is highlighted and one of the top ones on the list in Google, I think they pay to be top of that list.  I click on it and I get the 'clk;', normally that's not a problem but now it is happening with in one of my bank web sites. I can get on the web page without a problem but when I click on a link (button) within the web page which should put me onto another page I get the 'clk;' in another tab with a blank page again.  I cannot, for the life of me, find out what is going on.  I have assumed that something somewhere is blocking the page loading I want but I don't know why, it's a well known bank and a proper site.  I've looked through Googles 'hep' pages and Kasperskys help pages but can find nothing!
The bank don't know what is wrong either.  I happens on my PC and my wife's laptop but I don't knw why?

Any ideas - please.

Ray

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: clk; What is this and how do I get around it?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »

I've never come across such a thing, but it sounds as though it's something to do with Chrome and its configuration. I think the first thing to do is try a different browser, to narrow it down a bit.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »

My first guess would be some form of malware.
As it appears to be affection two computers, the question is...are these two PCs connected through the same router, either by cable or wirelessly.
If so the malware may be infecting the router and not either/or machine......many common forms of DNS hijacker infections will infect router firmware.

The first thing to try is to reset the router to it's factory defaults by using the method described for the particular router. Reboot router and PCs and reconfigure any network setup you had in place.

Then run a malware scan on both machines using a good malware detector such as the free version of Malwarebytes...http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/3/7268/index_b.html?gclid=CLXy_5C0z6sCFQIKfAod7F6iTw

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

Take a look at this :

http://techblog.avira.com/2010/10/20/spam-for-craigslist/en/

Craigslist uses the format "clk;nnnnnnnn"

staffsman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »

Thanks guys although non of the ideas has helped a great deal, but I have looked deeper.  I'm no further forward, but I will explain why later.
Firstly, as it's the wife's laptop that is the real problem I took a look on that.  Thanks Roseway, I tried going through the process using Firefox instead of chrome, still had the problem, but, there was more information this time.  On the address line it said "ad-emea.doubleclick.net/clk; followed by a long number and again a blank page. I have now done a Google search and doubleclick is one of their own products it help advertisers.
I think it is a trace product but apparently it's operation is being blocked somewhere down the line.
As far as that goes it's fine by me, I don't really want people or organisations knowing my browsing but there are apparently times(our bank?) when I might want to allow the site/page to be loaded.  So now I know what it is (?) I still don't know what is blocking it and how I can unblock it when I wan't to as my choice.  I have again checked out Kaspersky - nothing, Chrome doesn't mention anything about it and I have no where else to go - except here.
So I'm hope not everybody is bored with this issue of mine yet and can offer a clue as to what I can do to, firstly find who or what is blocking the link and how I can get to allow the pages to load WHEN I WANT THEM TOO.

Ray   

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0d1aa0827d9b57e8&hl=en  this has happened before, without a posted resolution though.

Notice it is the same adclick system in use.  It sounds like a URL problem or possibly an adblocker working incorrectly.

staffsman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0d1aa0827d9b57e8&hl=en  this has happened before, without a posted resolution though.

Notice it is the same adclick system in use.  It sounds like a URL problem or possibly an adblocker working incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply.  I have checked everything I can think of, all the settings I can find and they all appear to be OK.  Kaspersky seems fine, Windows firewall is disabled so that can't be blocking anything and as far as I can tell there is nothing in the way but none the less......
We will have to find a work around somewhere!

Thanks anyway.

Ray

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »

[

Windows firewall is disabled so that can't be blocking anything

:'(
That's very risky, you need a Firewall when using Windows. !, Have you got another between the internet and your computers ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »

If he's using a router with an SPI firewall, that will stop incoming access attempts.
  Eric