Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT 300Mbps  (Read 2953 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
BT 300Mbps
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

And on it goes...............why not enable 100% of the exchanges to be able to get any kind of FTTC instead of cherry picking a few for these mega fast speeds.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/10/05/bt-plans-fibre-optic-broadband-isp-speed-boost-to-300mbps-from-spring-2012.html

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: BT 300Mbps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

Hi
quote from same article : "Today is a significant step in the UK’s broadband journey. These developments will transform broadband speeds across the country and propel the UK up the broadband league tables.

That is why not interested in providing service to customers ,just make headlines .
Regards Jeff
zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »

And

"These are significant announcements and good news for the UK. High-speed broadband is essential for economic growth, which is why we want the UK to have the best superfast broadband in Europe by 2015.

What that means is if they enable a few areas for 300Mbps then the UK average shoots up,but in reality most are still being left behind getting miserable speeds.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »

As Jeff said, just headlines. :(
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

Big sigh!  :-X

My best ever downstream throughput was clocked at 5 Mbps and upstream at 800+ Kbps (ish). I would be perfectly happy if I could have those throughputs reliably and constantly, 24/7/52. :-\

Perhaps someone could ferret out the figures that relate to the broadband experiences that the "big cheeses" of the BT Group, the Virgin Group and other infrastructure providers obtain at their home addresses.

:no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

My best ever downstream throughput was clocked at 5 Mbps and upstream at 800+ Kbps (ish). I would be perfectly happy if I could have those throughputs reliably and constantly, 24/7/52.

That would be purfectably acceptable in my house Mr B-Cat

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

@ BKK,

One of them lives in Hambledon near Henley and has the total joy of a trial BET cct - at least he had when I was last made aware.

@ Everybody,

BT are part FTTP enabling one of their "race winners" Capel in Surrey. That exchange covers part of Ockley, but the far end of a straight Roman Road is fed from Oakwood Hill. Now any sensible organisation could see the furor that will ensue when they get absolutely nothing. How about some joined up thinking to extend the fibre run for another 500 m in existing ducts, so the whole village is satisfied ?

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

Hi
Now come on Walter surely you don't expect them to care about their customers,  what a novel  idea  ::)

quote "a few areas for 300Mbps then the UK average shoots up"

very true ,lets assume the average synch rate was 10Mbps then if you  manage to put just 10% of the users onto this fast 300Mbps the average over the whole population will become 39Mbps nearly 4 times faster or the publicity men would say 390% improvement . Obviously by picking the appropriate High density areas this sort of increase would be MUCH cheaper to implement .
Regards Jeff
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »

How about some joined up thinking to extend the fibre run for another 500 m in existing ducts, so the whole village is satisfied ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Joined up thinking & BT in the same paragraph?

What other weird side effects are your medication causing?

Paul.