Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei E220 Mobile Broadband Dongle problem  (Read 4770 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Huawei E220 Mobile Broadband Dongle problem
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »

I hope this is the right place in the forum for this posting.

I have a Huawei E220 Mobile Broadband Dongle used with an elderly Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows XP Home.

The problem is that when I insert the dongle, it says Detecting New Hardware and wants to install the software and drivers which come supplied on the dongle.  I let it go ahead and install, and the dongle works fine.

But next time I insert the dongle or boot up the PC with the dongle inserted, it again detects new hardware and repeats the cycle.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this annoyance?

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Huawei E220 Mobile Broadband Dongle problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

Not completely sure to be honest but at first guess it sound like the drivers are just not installing correctly.

When you reboot have a look at the device manager and see if anything is being flagged up as a problem.

If you haven't already I'd try uninstalling the device software/drivers and reinstalling with the latest drivers which can be found here.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »

Thanks.
Trouble is - nothing untoward shows.
I'll try the drivers.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »

Another thing to try is to access the "safely remove hardware" icon in the systray and click on the dongle entry, which will have the effect of disabling the drivers.

Then reboot and Windows should relocate and/or recreate the drivers..............it may work if the drivers just need a kick-start.

Jarviser

• Just arrived
    • Jarviser's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »

That drives me up the wall. Fine if you boot up with the dongle in place, but take it out, however "safely" you try, and the thing refuses to find it.  Even Sleep and Hibernate do the same thing. I think I now have it sussed, but it's not as good a solution as I would have liked.

Read my experiences here  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/3gtrouble.html#type3

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »

Are you connecting to the same or different USB port, as sometimes connecting to a different port than the original will cause "New Hardware Detected".
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Jarviser

• Just arrived
    • Jarviser's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:42 PM »

I'll but in again Jid and say I already tried that. As soon as all 4 USB ports have drivers loaded, there's nowhere else to go!  It's the AutoPlay  setting that fixed it for me as in my previous post. It's just very common in Huawei dongles where savvy users switch off AutoPlay on CD-ROM Software for security then the darn things will not re-detect.