Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting a sync speed reduction on modems that don't support maxrate  (Read 1871 times)

les-70

• Kitizen

I have got used to running with modems that allow a max sync speed to be set but want to do the same on two (an HG630 and HG658B) whose firmware does not support it.  I seem unable to get very far.  I have a RJ11 splitter so I can make a second connection in parallel with the feed to the modem.  I tried connecting a RF3 in a one sided way via this and it gives about the right sync speed drop of about 10Mb/s on my connection. i.e. 75 60 65.  So good so far  :)  but on removing it I loose sync  :(.  I wondered if removing an inductance from the DC 50V was the cause so I tried a 0.01 micro-farad capacitor in series with 300 ohms.  This only gave a a tiny sync reduction of perhaps 0.5 Mb/s but removing it still lost sync.  With the same capacitor and 900 ohms there was not really any discernible impact and although a bust of errors was produced it did hold sync on removal.  It looks like any significant rapid change upsets the signal.

I am wondering on trying a potentiometer to slowly add impedance in front of the RF3 but worry that any resistance wobbles that it gives may be enough to cause a loss of sync.  Does anyone have any thoughts on a way of giving a small but safely removable impairment to a connection?   I think I may be looking for a way of adding noise e.g. with a reliably bad LED light or Ethernet over mains device
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:06:05 PM by les-70 »

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Getting a sync speed reduction on modems that don't support maxrate
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »

To answer my own question a multiturn potenimeter and a capacitor in series with the potentiometer and connected across the dsl pair works quiet well.  The values I used for FTTC were a 470 ohms potentiometer and a 470 pf capacitor.  The capacitor ensures no dc impact and the value used gives about 9 ohms impedance at 17mhz.  With the potentiometer set at about 45 ohms prior to connection I then get a sync and attainable speed drop of about 8 Mb/s.  You can then slowly increase the potentiometer resistance to 470 ohms which gives a negligible impact on the attainable but leaves the lower sync.   :)

It would be much better to use a  --maxDataRate command but if that is not available it gives the same effect.

anything