Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nora Batty  (Read 2907 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Nora Batty
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:25:48 AM »

I was very sad to read of the death of Kathy Staff,who played Nora Batty in 'Last of the Summer Wine' for many years.She was a very good actress and a really  nice lady in 'real life'
I also remember her in many more programmes,including 'Open all Hours' and as Doris Luke in the 1970's motel soap 'Crossroads'
She will be sadly missed on the TV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7782250.stm

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Nora Batty
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

I was never a fan of Last of the Summer Wine, but I agree with you - she was a wonderful character actress, and it's sad to see her gone.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »

I was never a fan of Last of the Summer Wine, but I agree with you - she was a wonderful character actress, and it's sad to see her gone.

I also was not a massive fan,although I use to like it in the early days,sadly these days IMO it just seems an easy payday for 'has been' actors and actresses.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »

Indeed, a fine character actress.

I quite enjoyed "Last of....." when it was firdt broadcast. It was then a gentle comedy of philosopies, a whimsy, and the various actors were just right for their parts.
True to form, however, the BBC let it run for far to long and it degenerated into a juvenile slapstick routine, and as has been said, latterly it was merely a showcase for  some otherwise unheard of actors in the autumn of their careers.

RIP, Nora, and thank you for the laughs and the wrinkled stockings.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »

I too enjoyed it when 'Compo' Bill Owen was in it and loved the  sometimes subtlety of the humour  - alas when he died, it was never the same, and as you say TD  the BBC  mistakenly rested on their laurels.   Kathy Staff however, was a superb actress and my favourite character was Mrs. Blewitt in Open All Hours.    May she R.I.P.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »

I too used to watch it many moons ago, but agree with TD, what was a gentle comedy that turned into a farce.
Her obituary said she was a religious person, I hope she's where she wanted to be. R.I.P.

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »

In my opinion Last of the Summer Wine has never been the same without Bill Owen (Compo) and Brian Wilde (Foggy).  Now the nation's favourite battle axe in wrinkled stockings has also sadly left us, I think program ought to go the same way.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »

RIP :(
zen user