Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky’s UK CEO Ignores Weekend Reports – Makes Final Plea to Split BT  (Read 1575 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Sky’s UK CEO Ignores Weekend Reports – Makes Final Plea to Split BT

The CEO of Sky UK (Sky Broadband), Jeremy Darroch, has today made a final plea in the hope of encouraging Ofcom to split BT from control of their national telecoms network (Openreach), which Darroch claims is the only way to encourage investment in 1Gbps+ FTTH/P broadband and to stop BT “[sweating] its copper assets” for slower connectivity.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Sky’s UK CEO Ignores Weekend Reports – Makes Final Plea to Split BT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »

Thanks for the link, Bowdon.  :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:27:21 PM »

@BS I had to post it because Sky seem to be again playing the victim.

I thought it was a good article and impartial too. Sky keep complaining about OR, but don't do anything themselves. I noticed they mentioned the York trials and then said it was difficult to achieve an economical return on their investment. Then they go on to blame BT. I was going to say what about Gigaclear and Hyperoptic? If it's not an economically investment then how are these companies surviving!?

Sky should stop having a go at BT and instead join BT, OR and other ISP's to put pressure on Ofcom to try and find ways to lower the prices of fibre installs, as well as trying to smooth processes for building new networks i.e. digging up roads and getting planning permission. Ofcom should work on a process so all councils need to sign up to.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »

The simple quick fix that can take Britain out of broadband’s slow lane

On Thursday Ofcom will announce the conclusions of its Strategic Review of Digital Communications. Among other things, this will include how it believes that broadband in Britain should be delivered.

I don't have a subscription to the Times online website. So the article is very restricted.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »

Thanks for the links Dray!

I still say that Sky could do a lot more. All this negative campaigning they do is exposing their own short term aims.

Sky (with TT with them) have the opportunity to expand their own FTTH technology and possibility link up with other FTTH suppliers. Yet they seem to sit and whine a lot.

I'm sorry to appear anti-Sky. I'm not. My parents have Sky tv and though they can be "rip off" merchants with the pricing, they do always repair the systems when needed. But when it comes to the Internet, they are a little fish in a big pond.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 06:56:35 PM »

Gosh the knives really are starting to be drawn

He suggested that Sky – the dominant player in the UK pay-TV market with over 64 per cent of the subscribers – had been “very shrewd” in its approach to the Review. “They’ve gone to great lengths to try and keep the focus of Ofcom’s review away from pay-TV They’ve done that by raising concerns about the UK broadband market; mounting attacks on BT; even calling for us to be broken up.”
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »

That's like saying anyone could roll out their own railway network to compete with National Rail or their own electricity grid to compete with National Grid. The telecom network is a national resource which should be available to all.

anything