Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: If line has been fixed how do you start to use spare db?  (Read 1417 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
If line has been fixed how do you start to use spare db?
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »

My line is currently running at 10db instead if 6db after a period of poor conditions/fault.  This means I should be running at faster speed.  Do I just wait or is it safe to unplug modem to try to get it closer to 6db?  Thanks.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: If line has been fixed how do you start to use spare db?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »

You need to wait for DLM to de-intervene I think, could take up to a few weeks.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »

Normally if your DS SNRM is this high it would indicate your line may have been banded by the DLM this lowers the sync rate so that your line has less errors and may recover after a few weeks.

Without seeing your ongoing stats it would be very hard for me to advise a modem power off/on  and agree with loonylion.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »

Thanks. I reported as a possible fault and ISP said it maybe so referred to BT. At lunch it jumped from a consistent 6db at maximum attainable rate to 10db with a corresponding jump in attainable rate but sync is still at the old attainable rate.  I do not think dlm intervened as interleave was not on and now I have many more bits per tone so perhaps some kind of fault that has now cleared?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »

There will be no harm done if you wish to turn off the modem but you must take notice of the 30 minute rule (modem off for 30mins before switching it on again) and if no changes has occurred then the DLM is still holding your line back for a previous noise event.

anything