Kitz Forum

Computers & Hardware => Networking => Topic started by: Weaver on August 10, 2018, 02:04:42 AM

Title: ISP ethernet
Post by: Weaver on August 10, 2018, 02:04:42 AM
Some ISPs sell (very expensive) 'ethernet' links into your shop. Is this just FTTP but with L2 shipped over the link not just IPv4/IPv6?

A&A for example sells it and it is eye-wateringly expensive iirc.

Q: I don't understand it as where is the ethernet supposed to come from? And you arrange to get IP at the far end onto it?

Is it also used for site-to-site bridging? Nice if you have stuff like really really old windows boxes that do not necessarily interwork with peers over IP and a routed n/w.

I suppose there is the idea that you could run arbitrary types of L3 protocols over it, not just IP, as well as L2 traffic, without the overheads of tunnels.
Title: Re: ISP ethernet
Post by: j0hn on August 10, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
Ethernet links run over fibre.
Primarily used for site to site stuff.
Title: Re: ISP ethernet
Post by: burakkucat on August 10, 2018, 06:24:49 PM
Openreach supply it as Ethernet Access Direct (EAD) and that is the product which A&A sells to its end users.

If A&A were to create a POP at NSBFD (the Broadford exchange) and one of your Premium Bonds won the monthly top prize then you could have an EAD link to provide Internet access.