on: Today at 07:55:04 AM 
Started by burakkucat - Last post by tubaman
meditate

on: Today at 07:54:04 AM 
Started by burakkucat - Last post by tubaman
for any kind

on: Today at 07:23:08 AM 
Started by mbrijun - Last post by mbrijun
I have mixed feelings about the whole situation.

• Internet should be based on open standards. For that reason, there should be no situation where the equipment from vendor A does not work well with the equipment from vendor B. Accepting that one must have matching chipset vendors on DSLAM and the modem would be a defeat of sorts.
  • It is a possibility that the Vigor 130 is not nececcarily "bad" at handling slow, noisy lines. Perhaps it is simply bad at "masking" real problems, such as over-reliance on error correction.
  • If I am not mistaken, G.INP was invented by Broadcom in the form of PhyR ("fire"). For that reason, I would not be overly surprised if they have some "secret sauce" in their implementation which makes it works "best" between two Broadcom devices.
  • G.INP is based on a very opportunistic approach to comms - shooting packets across as fast as possible, and relying on a sizeable cache on the sender's side for when things go wrong. On the other hand, "interleaved" method is a conservative, safe approach. If I had to choose between a car that is slower yet reliable and the one that is fast, fails often and can be fixed cheaply, I would choose the former without hesitation. Increased latency is not really an issue, as I am not a gamer. Behind the modem there is a router with OpenWRT installed which also runs a Smart Queue Management (SQM) script to prevent Bufferbloat - on a relatively slow line like VDSL this is arguably one of the most important things to take care of.
  • The Vigor 130 has a tweak that allows increasing the desired SNR margin. Just like G.INP, wafer-thin SNR margins is another overly opportunistic approach to comms. Pretty much like reving an engine close to the red line.
  • I think that the CLI of Vigor 130 is a bit arcane and inconsistent in places. On the plus side, Draytek publish regular updates to their firmware, which cannot be said about many other vendors.

on: June 02, 2024, 10:40:54 PM 
Started by mbrijun - Last post by Edinburgh_lad
@Alex Atkin UK

There's no problem with running a modem with a different chipset on a Broadcom DSLAM. I think there's a problem with Draytek products in general in that they don't handle noisy lines well, or maybe it is lines with Broadcom indeed. That's my experience of using a couple of Drayteks on my noisy line (when I had it) and then using Fritzbox (Infineon) and Zyxel 8924 (Broadcom), both of which performed to the same degree.

on: June 02, 2024, 07:24:38 PM 
Started by Reformed - Last post by Chrysalis
Is there a checker for mustang?

I see there was a video released which showed 2023 areas (it then got pulled), and people reporting works, but Leicester is dead, No VM works in the city other than for their existing network.

on: June 02, 2024, 03:59:05 PM 
Started by meritez - Last post by Alex Atkin UK
The guys who did mine did a perfect job, very pleased with it.

Was yours done via a contractor?

It sure was.  Honestly, it was kinda crazy sending one engineer given the span of the drop wire and it getting snagged on the shed, so it took both of us.  Obviously I was happy to help, but its not a reasonable expectation for your average customer.

The location of the ONT is not exactly where I wanted it either, but that was my fault as I poorly communicated what I wanted as I was kinda anxious to just get it done.  Once he started drilling the hole I didn't want to be "that customer" that suddenly changed his mind, creating more work.

on: June 02, 2024, 11:17:54 AM 
Started by mbrijun - Last post by RealAleMadrid
@mbrijun 

As I said in my previous message the FECS value is count of corrected errors, it is NOT seconds The Draytek document and the modem stats display are incorrect.

My modem (Huawei HG612 ) reports this for the latest 15 minute interval....
Latest 15 minutes time = 14 min 23 sec
FEC:            628516          0
CRC:            0               1
ES:             0               1
SES:            0               0
UAS:            0               0
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0

Fifteen minutes is 900 seconds, see what I mean?

I would strongly suggest replacing the Vigor 130 with a Broadcom based device. There are many reports of problems with the Vigor 130 on lines with a Broadcom DSLAM,  it seems they don't work well together.

You say you disabled G,Inp to make the line more stable, on a VDSL2 line G.Inp is a very good thing if it's working properly so it also suggests that the Vigor in not doing very well on your line.

I must admit I have never liked the Vigor modem, the jumbled up stats display and errors in the text are a real turn off, and they don't work well on a lot of lines.

On the Other hand my Huawei HG612 3B with updated firmware to access the stats has been excellent for years, others warn of the age and it's likely to fail but if it ain't broke there's no need to fix it. ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10