Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DNS problem,or?  (Read 2182 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
DNS problem,or?
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »

Hi all

Was just surfing away when every webpage I tried to load was just blank.My BB connection still had the globe over the TV screen and all my router lights looked good.

Tried another browser and homepage opened but was blank,so I shut down computer and restarted.

On restarting I had no internet connect even though the router lights looked ok,so rebooted router and my connection came back.

Am I right in thinking this was a DNS problem and did I do the correct thing or should I have tired rebooting the router without restarting the pc.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DNS problem,or?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »

It probably has to go down as 'one of those things'. Routers can get into this kind of state after the connection has been up for some time, as a result of running out of internal memory or something like that. As it happens, I had a similar experience a couple of nights ago. Generally all you need to do is reboot the router.

If it happens again, you could check if it's a DNS problem by opening a command line window and typing:

ping bbc.co.uk

followed by:

ping 212.58.241.131

If the first command times out but the second one works you have a DNS problem. If both commands time out you've simply lost your internet connection.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »

Thanks Eric  :)

Tbh my connection had been up for sometime without disconnection.

I will take your advice on board for future reference,thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »

:)
  Eric

adam25185

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »

For all DNS related problems try logging into your router and manually applying OpenDNS IP addresses (which are free and replace your ISP's DNS).

208.67.222.222 (resolver1.opendns.com)
208.67.220.220 (resolver2.opendns.com)

These can also speed up browsing, and furthermore you can configure them through Network Connections in Control Panel if you don't fancy reconfiguring your router.

anything