Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NHS for sale?  (Read 1407 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
NHS for sale?
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »

Here we go again. Our public services being sold off piece by piece  >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14778406

What do you think?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: NHS for sale?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »

Absolutely outrageous,thats what I think.. :angry:

Typical Tory........sell everything off :angry:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »

"But why have they been bewitched by a flawed US system?"

That's one of the most telling points in the discussion. The US health system is largely in private hands, and it's excellent for the wealthy, rotten for the poor. The more that we put our health service into private ownership, the more we're likely to head the same way.

Of course the government insists that the ownership will always be public, and all they're doing is contracting the management of some parts of it to private companies, for the benefit of patients.

The real problem in the NHS (in my opinion) is the heavy and expensive hand of bureaucracy which clogs everything up. The endless box-ticking mentality that's been imposed on them means that lots of people are employed doing things which are nothing to do with patient care, but merely serve the governments' obsession with targets.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

The real problem in the NHS (in my opinion) is the heavy and expensive hand of bureaucracy which clogs everything up. The endless box-ticking mentality that's been imposed on them means that lots of people are employed doing things which are nothing to do with patient care, but merely serve the governments' obsession with targets.

Being a regular visitor to hospital outpatients you get time to have a good look around and one think I see is the mass over staffing levels in admin.
The amount of staff sat a various out patient clinic desks just doing nothing is unbelievable.
This imo is where cut backs need to be made,not front line nursing,where imo they do a fantastic job of taking care of us.  :clap2:

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »

Very valid points from both you gentlemen. I too have spent quite a lot of time in both in-patient and out-patient departments, and will use an eye clinic for as far as the eye (no pun) can see.

The main problem that I can see for our NHS in part private hands is the parts that will be run purely for profit. The NHS should be run more like a business and be more accountable for the expenditure. However it is there so that all UK citizens have access to the care that is needed, when it is needed.

Unfortunately there are so many greedy pigs persons just wanting to make fantastic sums of money to furnish lavish lifestyles. Consultants, high end GPs, managers and the like.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »

Have to agree with all of you, this really would be outrageous if they went ahead.  It seems they want to rid this country of ownership of nearly everything but why?  As for the NHS, it should be run for the people, not to make money out of but to run as efficiently and cost effectively as possible.  I see lots of ways they could cut costs in our hospital (of which I shall be attending today..sigh) but they never seem to cut back in the right departments or the on right services.  I just think the ideas they come up with nowadays are crackers and no long term future is seemingly planned.  Well most of those planning (the demise?) the NHS are well off enough to pay for their health care so rarely get to use it methinks...why would they bother about the people who don't have a choice!  >:( >:(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

anything