Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kindle question for Eric.....  (Read 6759 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Kindle question for Eric.....
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »

Thank you for that Jazz  ..... :D     Ooooooooooo    if I bought that  one I could get a whole new  co-ordinating outfit too   ...........  now that's got me thinking  ;D  Many thanks !

Have you seen the array of free books (for you to try out your new Kindle) on Amazon.  I have been quite surprised at the number of available titles, either free or for very little outlay, and some with extremely good write ups.    I have a long list   .....   just need the Kindle now  :D  ....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »

Now you've started something jazz. ;D

Perhaps I should get a beige cover to match my appearance. :'(

Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »

Oh Eric, you do make me giggle   .....   you'll be telling us next you have a beige cardigan  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »

That would be telling... :-X
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

Just had a 'phone call   ......  UPS are delivering my Kindle this morning    :clap:     I only placed the order on Sunday  (21st)  from the  Amazon US site and the confirmation for delivery was  the 24th  but I didn't quite believe them     !!   Oooooooooo   I'm looking forward to this  :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »

Just had a 'phone call   ......  UPS are delivering my Kindle this morning    :clap:     I only placed the order on Sunday  (21st)  from the  Amazon US site and the confirmation for delivery was  the 24th  but I didn't quite believe them     !!   Oooooooooo   I'm looking forward to this  :D

Calm down madam..... :D

What do all these Kindle users do with all these now not needed books......... :shrug2:

Tbh,I would rather spend the money on something useful like..............Beer  :lol:

Hope your delivery arrives as promised Kate  :fingers:......UPs are imo one of the best carries in the business

scottiesmum

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »

:D

I'll still read books Unc   ....I've lots to go at yet  .... I fancied the Kindle for several reasons.  I can take it with me easily when I'm on a Lunchy/shoppy trip  (alone)  less bulky than some books; for holidays it will be a lot less bulky  ...I take LOTS of books.  It will also enable me to find new authors; I've already made a long list of books ready for downloading. I've chosen free ones (or nearly free)  at the moment, some them with excellent  reviews.   Also, most of the classics are available free and it's an opportunity to read again some of those wonderful books I read as a child  ...Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House,  etc  .....   I've been going through the e-books available on Amazon for quite a while, there are 100's of thousands, with a vast range of prices   ....I'm sure the more recent,popular titles will eventually drop in price.      That's my excuse  reason    :D     whey hey  !!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »

I notice most books for the Kindle are not much less than the paperback/hardback version

I notice the one I have just ordered Sue(hardback) is £11.01 inc free delivery,yet the Kindle version is £9.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-Teagarden-Mysteries-Omnibus-Mystery/dp/0575096497/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

Seems a bit of a rip off to me....I would have thought they would be considerably less,in some cases the Kindle  one is more expensive....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:04:06 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »

Ooooooooooooo     it's here  !!    and a lovely Frenchman delivered it too  :D    Off to fiddle    Kindle   ;D

Just seen your post Unc  .....I have a programme Unc, called Calibre (I told Eric about it in an earlier post) .  There is a search facility with that programme and it searches for outlets for Kindle books, then gives you a choice of providers and prices.   I agree that at the moment the 'new' books are not that much less...  but I have also  to take into consideration postal charges and I think at the moment Amazon add an extra £3.80 (or thereabouts) for delivery to mainland Europe, which bumps the price up quite a bit.    e-books are now available at several outlets, and I suppose that the competition will eventually work in the costumer's favour :fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »

I notice most books for the Kindle are not much less than the paperback/hardback version

That's the case with popular authors, but as Kate says, there's a treasurehouse of classics and books by less well-known authors for next to nothing. I've bought a load of books at 99p each. And there are other sources of books for nothing or very little. Project Gutenberg, for example, has thousands of free out-of-copyright books for download.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »

I see via your link Eric,the most downloaded book is the Kama Sutra.   :-[  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »

:lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »

It wasn't me guv'nor, honest. :lol:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »

It wasn't me guv'nor, honest. :lol:

You naughty boy Eric......as a respected member of this forum,what position do you think a book like that puts you in...

Second thoughts we don't want to know.  :lol:  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

:D

Up and running  ;D   downloaded my long list of books from Amazon, all free ones  for the moment  ....   plus I used the Calibre programme Eric, which converted other formats to fit the Kindle  ....   huge success....     Ooooooo  I don't know which to read first now    :D   
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything