Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: London Riots  (Read 14774 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
Re: London Riots
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

Why is it that anyone that breaks the law "must" be in receipt of benefits?
I'm not saying that everyone who broke the law was receiving benefits but a large percentage of them probably are as there have been interviews with masked rioters and they admit to being on benefits and are cheesed off with society.
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »

They all aren't,but if they are then why not hit them where it hurts.

The governments e-petition site has crashed and won't be back online till tomorrow.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions

The petition to stop rioters/looters benefits has already passed 100,000
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:41:02 PM by UncleUB »

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »

Why not make these useless pieces of trash clean up the mess. Make them rebuild what they have destroyed.
My son is a warden in one of the prisons that house some very tough criminals. He says that the inmates have nearly as many rights as he does. I say when they riot in these jails they should be made to clean up the mess and live in the mess until it is cleaned up. Likewise with these thugs, hooligans call them what you will. Get them rebuilding what they have destroyed. Keep them fed and watered and that is all. No wages or anything.
That is an excellent idea and it would also serve as community service.

The police really are between the devil and the deep blue sea. Many, many of them did not join the force for this type of policing. It is the job of the armed forces to quell anarchy. I'm sure the mere appearance of the armed forces would stop a riot.
Yes I see what mean about quelling anarchy.

The trouble with the armed forces making an appearance to try and prevent further anarchy is that I expect the armed forces are over-stretched as it is fighting wars in Afghanistan and Libya  ???
Mike

AdrianH

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »

They all aren't,but if they are then why not hit them where it hurts.

The governments e-petition site has crashed and won't be back online till tomorrow.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions

The petition to stop rioters/looters benefits has already passed 100,000

So they riot because they are supposedly poor being on benefits .............. take their only income away and then what, wonder why they go out and steal again?

Supervised chain gangs cleaning the streets for a few months as punishment/payback would be a more constructive approach.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »

So they riot because they are supposedly poor being on benefits
In some cases people are better off on benefits than in work especially if they have big families as they can claim housing benefit, child benefit, tax credits, etc
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 07:13:29 AM »

A YOUNG Olympic ambassador has been charged with rioting after her mother saw her hurling bricks at a police car on TV.

Talented athlete Chelsea Ives, 18, who has been pictured with MPs and sports stars at the House of Commons, later boasted of having the “best day ever” as she allegedly ran amok with the mob.

Her appalled mother Adrienne turned her in, saying: “It was gut-wrenching but it was right. What could normal, honest parents do?” Ives was one of hundreds of riot suspects to appear in the dock yesterday as courts around the country staged special 24-hour sittings.

She was joined in court by a ballerina, an estate agent, a law student, a would-be social worker, a young mother with a six-week-old baby and an 11-year-old girl.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/264482

Well done to her mother,but she must be devastated seeing her daughter throw all that away...... :no:

AdrianH

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »

Perhaps now we will see the end of the riots.

I hope the government is at last getting the message that most of the general public is fed up with the way that criminals seem to have more rights than victims.
They are fed up with soft sentences handed out by courts,which offers no deterrent to stop criminals re offending.

The penalties need to be tougher,and stay tougher.Lets hope local councils follow up their threats to evict these thugs and their families from council housing,and stop their benefits,or part of them to pay towards all the damage they have caused.
Agreed.

I signed a petition on the downing street website to prevent them getting benefits if they are found guilty of taking part in the riots.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/signatures/275725/verify/pKw3qkWABTMAnpekUj6

The website petition was so popular that it crashed and is down until tomorrow but the required 100,000 signatures has been met.

Sorry, e-petitions is temporarily unavailable.

The e-petitions site is having problems at the moment. We need to temporarily suspend the creation and signing of e-petitions to allow us to make sure everything is working properly for you.

We aim to re-open the e-petitions site by Friday morning (12th August).

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this causes you.

The e-petition entitled “Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits” has now passed the threshold of 100,000 signatures and has been passed to the Backbench Business Committee to consider for debate. It will continue to be available for signature once the site is re-opened.

p.s. I just noticed a typo - the word 'loose' instead of 'lose'  ;D

A small point of order here, the petition is a total waste of time as the govt. cannot implement the idea in this case.

Article 7 of the ECHR prevents retrospectivity; you cannot suffer a punishment only thought up after a crime has been committed. 

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »

Just my 2 cents worth, but......

How many would agree with me that Mr Cameron and his cronies have really lost the plot over this business ?

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

A small point of order here, the petition is a total waste of time as the govt. cannot implement the idea in this case.

Article 7 of the ECHR prevents retrospectivity; you cannot suffer a punishment only thought up after a crime has been committed.
The ECHR raises it's ugly head again - oh how I wish we had a referendum on leaving the EU.
Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »

The ECHR raises it's ugly head again - oh how I wish we had a referendum on leaving the EU.
Nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

And the ECHR predates the EC/EU by several years.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:51 AM »

One of  the saddest things to come out of these riots, excluding those who have died of course, is that there is a man in hospital in a very critical  condition.  He had been injured in Ealing Broadway on Monday evening, he was trying to extinguish a fire in a waste bin when he was attacked by a mob. They left him for dead, after apparently robbing him  - he had no form of ID on him, wallet or mobile ...........   the terrible  thing is that no-one has reported him missing.  How dreadful is that   :(

Unfortunately he lost his fight for life.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025079/LONDON-RIOTS-Ealing-hero-Richard-Mannington-Bowes-dies.html

An orgy of violence and sheer brutality that ended his life. Instances like this and I would consider an exception for hanging.

exo

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »

One of  the saddest things to come out of these riots, excluding those who have died of course, is that there is a man in hospital in a very critical  condition.  He had been injured in Ealing Broadway on Monday evening, he was trying to extinguish a fire in a waste bin when he was attacked by a mob. They left him for dead, after apparently robbing him  - he had no form of ID on him, wallet or mobile ...........   the terrible  thing is that no-one has reported him missing.  How dreadful is that   :(

Unfortunately he lost his fight for life.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025079/LONDON-RIOTS-Ealing-hero-Richard-Mannington-Bowes-dies.html

An orgy of violence and sheer brutality that ended his life. Instances like this and I would consider an exception for hanging
I had heard on the news that he died but I didn't know that he had been tormented by the yobs for years  :(
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »

You will no doubt have seen the Sky news video of the reporter interviewing black youths about how they stole Thousands of pounds of goods and openly speak about it on camera(but with faces covered of course).

If the reporter had arranged this interview,why wasn't the police informed and then be waiting to arrest them after they had admitted what they had done on camera.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16049147

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

You will no doubt have seen the Sky news video of the reporter interviewing black youths about how they stole Thousands of pounds of goods and openly speak about it on camera(but with faces covered of course).

If the reporter had arranged this interview,why wasn't the police informed and then be waiting to arrest them after they had admitted what they had done on camera.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16049147
Yes good point  >:(
Mike

scottiesmum

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

I saw the report of the poor  man's death Exo  .... so dreadfully shocking.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6