Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boiler bother.  (Read 9046 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Boiler bother.
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »

So now commences week 4 of no hot-water.   My 9 year old boiler has been playing up for ages and over the past few years has had numerous bits replaced, but its now at the stage where it aint ever going to work again with out a heck of a lot of money being spent.

Typically it gave up the ghost just a few days before my plumber went away on  2 weeks holiday and I thought I could cope for a few more weeks till he got back this weekend and I was scheduled for today as its going to take a couple of days to sort.  Didnt expect him to be ill this morning though.

Roll on Thursday night...  I will be having a loooooooong soak in my own bath with lots of bubbles rather than trecking to  borrow my parents facilities. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AdrianH

Re: Boiler bother.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »

Do you have a combi boiler then with no hot water cylinder?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »

I do.   
My kettle has been working over-time the past few weeks :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »

We've resisted the regular "siren calls" to install a modern (e.g. condensing) boiler and have stuck to a traditional "box in the corner" that has run happily for over 25 years. Boy, are we glad to stick with "old reliable"
With a hot water tank and electric immersion as backup. Plus a kettle.  :o

British Gas keep telling us it's old and you can't get parts.
But then the engineers admit that, apart from the casing and burner the only "parts" are a gas valve (design unchanged in decades) and thermocouple. Both have been replaced at least once.

And it keeps the kitchen warm.
If we replaced it we'd need a heater installed in the kitchen.

And apparently it's less efficient and we'd save money on our gas bill.
Which apparently we'd spend (and more) on maintenance as newer boilers are so much more complex........ :o

Seriously though, I hope you get sorted soon.
Someone I know has an even more difficult gas combined hot-water hot-air central heating system which failed. They were ill at home with bronchitis in the worst of the winter and it took 2 months to replace!  >:D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:53:19 PM by HPsauce »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »

After keeping my old oil fired boiler running for 35 years by making parts that were no longer available, I had to splash out on a new one at last. It's a condensing boiler as they all are these days but it is certainly NOT a combi-boiler. It has a hot tank with a heating element and stat and having experienced combi-boilers at various holiday chalets over the years I wouldn't touch one. The bath takes an age to fill and you have no useful airing cupboard. But please be assured condensing boilers don't have to be combis whatever your plumber says. (This is true for gas boilers as well)

Hope you get your hot water back soon.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »

I have no option but to have a combi-boiler. 
This house was built without any water tanks and the builders installed combi-boilers on the whole estate.

The old boiler wasnt too bad in its heyday.. never had a problem with filling the bath and it quite happily supported a power-shower.
It had been taking longer and longer of late, but that was more down the its condition and it has been limping along for the past couple of years.

I so agree that the newer ones dont seem to last like the old ones did... and gawd knows why they all have to be condensers now.
-----

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »

I so agree that the newer ones dont seem to last like the old ones did... and gawd knows why they all have to be condensers now.
Because they are more efficient at burning gas and it helps the government reach their co2 emission targets !

I'm also glad that I resisted the pressure form British Gas on numerous occasions to upgrade to a condensing boiler.

My conventional boiler is over 25 years old and still going strong  8)
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

>>> My conventional boiler is over 25 years old and still going strong

Mine too. And I service it myself - all that consists of is taking the cover off once a year and brushing the dust out.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

>>> My conventional boiler is over 25 years old and still going strong

Mine too. And I service it myself - all that consists of is taking the cover off once a year and brushing the dust out.
That's nice and I suppose I could do it myself but I pay for an annual service every year - it only costs around £25 and in my view is money well spent.
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »

I know.. the older ones seem to last so much longer... and even my plumber admits they are easier to service.  The expected life of the 'newer' ones only seems to be 10 years :(
-----

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »

I know.. the older ones seem to last so much longer... and even my plumber admits they are easier to service.  The expected life of the 'newer' ones only seems to be 10 years :(
Crikey as short a life as 10 years and condensing boilers are usually twice the price of conventional boilers  >:(
Mike

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »

Our gas boiler is at least 30 years old and going strong. Every year the service man tells us it's more reliable than these modern ones and to keep it going as long as possible.

I wonder which is really greener and cheaper.

It would be interesting to compare the carbon and cost footprint of building, using and then recycling, a modern boiler every 10 years compared with an older one replaced every - let say - 40 years.

Cheers,
Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »

Plumber was supposed to be here at am :(
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »

Plumber was supposed to be here at am :(

There's still time.... :fingers:

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »

Our gas boiler is at least 30 years old and going strong. Every year the service man tells us it's more reliable than these modern ones and to keep it going as long as possible.

I wonder which is really greener and cheaper.

It would be interesting to compare the carbon and cost footprint of building, using and then recycling, a modern boiler every 10 years compared with an older one replaced every - let say - 40 years.

Cheers,
Peter

This is the big issue ........ the new boilers are very much better on gas consumption and the waste products are much reduced, however they require more servicing, MUST have an electrical supply to operate and are less reliable as the electronics are apt to fail. Production wise they are more complicated and and contain electronic components and wiring which bring their own polution issues from production to disposal.

Just like the large offshore windfarms the costs/realities are manipulated to look good.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything