Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boiler bother.  (Read 9040 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Boiler bother.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »

Plumber was supposed to be here at am :(

There's still time.... :fingers:

Oops that was supposed to say 8am  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »

Plumber was supposed to be here at am :(

There's still time.... :fingers:

Oops that was supposed to say 8am  :no:

In that case  :'( :thumbdown:  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »

He did turn up just before lunch.  Looking and sounding still quite poorly so I couldnt really say much.  He was working here till very late too.

I now have gas and water again.  New boiler is 'in place' along with the copper pipework but not working yet as he needs to knock a new hole through for the flue thingy and fit that... and fit a new timer thingy when weve decided where that can go.

Water pressure is sooo much better already - the old one was so gunked up inside it was inefficient at pushing the water through the system.

*Excuse my highly technical language. - plumbing isnt my forte.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »

"flue thingy", "timer thingy" - that sounds pretty technical to me :lol:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

YAY..  After 3.5 weeks I finally have hot water :D

Now I just need to clear up all the mess (brick dust gets everywhere)..  make something to eat.. 
Then Im off for that loooooong soak.
-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »

Happy soak Kitz   ... and  a large glass of red stuff    ;D 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

Then Im off for that loooooong soak.
Nothing beats the sweet smell of success/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »

eke gone 10 o'clock and only just finished clearing up. 

Sat at the PC with something to eat and a glass of wine. 
Dont think that long soak is going to happen now..  will have to be a shower if Im going to get my hair dry tonight (I have very thick long hair that takes ages to dry).  Got to be up reasonably early tomorrow as off out for the day.  So signing out now.

G'nite and have a good day tomorrow everyone.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »

That must be a great relief. :thumbs:
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 11:22:15 PM »

....brick dust gets everywhere...  make something to eat.. 
So, cottage pie then >:D ;D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »

It's a condensing boiler as they all are these days but it is certainly NOT a combi-boiler.
In it's write-up it may not be a combi-boiler as such but apart from a "very small hot water tank they still work very much the same as each other.

However one of the main drawbacks is that the boiler will still keep igniting every so often just to keep the small hot water tank heated, which is a waste if it's not going to be used very much, whereas a combi boiler does not.

Unfortunately a bit of bad news for condensing boiler owners "especially" for the Worcester Boilers.
Although this problem also effects other brands, Worcester Boilers seem to be effected more than others.

There is a design flaw that even Worcester Boilers are aware of, which is, in severe winters the overflow pipe freezes back inside the boiler and has been known to quite often seem to explode with water cascading down the inside of the boiler and on to the surface below.
This happens when the tank recognises it is full and the overflow pump is activated and under pressure tries to eject the water, under normal conditions this is not noticeable and the pressurised water simply ejects out and down the overflow outlet pipe which has to go directly into a drain or below the ground level, this has to be this way because on these new boilers the overflow water can be slightly acidic (as in acid rain).
(Combi boilers do not work this way and the overflow pipe just stick out through the wall)

However, there is a cure to stop this from happening, but will cost you approximately £100 from Worcester Boilers.
It's called something similar to "A overflow expansion heater pipe"
Basically it stops the overflow tank from freezing.

If you doubt what I say, why would Worcester Boilers sell such a item if they did not know about the problem?
They have also stated they are not prepared to install the device as part of the unit as it only effects people who live in areas that suffer from "harsh winters" "Try telling all the people who had frozen boilers last year"

And yes, the heat that is lost in the room that it is installed in will require extra heating after being changed.
(especially to stop it freezing in the winter)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

Sorry OF. Mine is a condensing boiler which heats a normal large hot water tank using a heating coil which is fed from the boiler when the programmer says it can (an hour or so a day ) and when the tank thermostat says it needs it. This is the identical system to the one it replaced apart from the condensing bit and more sophisticated controls. Although mine is an oil fired boiler I'm sure you can have the same on gas. You need not have a combi boiler. Honest!
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »

This is the identical system to the one it replaced
If it is truly a condensing boiler, in that case it sounds as if your plumber utilised the old existing hot water tank when installing the new system, whereas most plumbers these days would take them out or at least leave it disconnected.

In certain circumstances there can be advantages, such as if the cold water pressure is very poor and the hot water tank is towards the top of the property which would then give you a better head of water pressure, but as said "it sounds as if your plumber utilised the old existing hot water tank"

Although with doing that you have basically lost the benefit of any energy saving that either Combi or Condensing boilers are designed for.

Just as a side note, I much prefer the old type systems of which you can still buy, just that not many people want to tell you that, even Worcester Boilers still sell the old type.
Assuming the boiler is in the kitchen then in a lot of cases there is no need or not much need for secondary heating and you still have a nice warm airing cupboard for bedding etc.
(without replacing the hot water tank with a small radiator to do the same thing)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »

There is a design flaw that even Worcester Boilers are aware of, which is, in severe winters the overflow pipe freezes back inside the boiler and has been known to quite often seem to explode with water cascading down the inside of the boiler and on to the surface below.
This happens when the tank recognises it is full and the overflow pump is activated and under pressure tries to eject the water, under normal conditions this is not noticeable and the pressurised water simply ejects out and down the overflow outlet pipe which has to go directly into a drain or below the ground level, this has to be this way because on these new boilers the overflow water can be slightly acidic (as in acid rain).
A few people in work have also had problems with their condensing boilers over the last couple of years because of the exceptionally cold winters.

I find it amazing that the designers didn't allow for a severe winter when they designed the boilers !
Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »

I've seen them installed with the drain running outside level (or worse) and inadequately lagged.
Almost guaranteed to freeze up.  :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3