Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: DLM and the effect of turning off the router at night  (Read 31390 times)

mikew650

Re: DLM and the effect of turning off the router at night
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »

One point I should mention is that I had a 9 db Target Signal Noise Ratio for over 4 years, being switched off most of the day. Then this year when I left my router on 24/7 and had some bad sessioins of disconnections, the TSRN was increased to 12 db. I conclude that switching off my router had no effect on the TSNR but leaving it on resulted in my TSNR increasing.

Regards Mike

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »

Hi

I think that the real point is that there is NO absolute correct way for ALL situations . Leaving the Router on 24/7  which is what I tend to do( * see note ).,Is probably the best option for most stable lines . Selective switch off for those that are not on all/ most of the time will do no harm providing its not a case of rebooting many times per day . For others It may be actually beneficial to switch off router during Known bad noise periods . Its a case of making a valued judgement .

Note . If for some reason I have had a unforeseen re synch (power cut ) at the wrong time, (I do have some periods during the day  where the SNR margin drops by up to 3db.)  ,then I will have re connected  at a  lower synch rate than normal ,so dropping The IP profile.  Monitoring the SNR margin using RS  I will reboot when the SNR margin is at the appropriate higher  level to give me my normal synch rate .Then the IP profile will return to normal after 2 to 3 days .This is an occasion where leaving my router on 24/7 would leave me with a lower synch rate for many weeks .

Regards Jeff
zen user

mikew650

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »

Hello Jeffbb

I agree with that last post.

Having gained some Knowledege how broadband works from websites like Kitz has enabled me to get the best out of my broadband. I think the best solution for most people would be the new profiling system.

Regards Mike

iwish

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »

When i had a bad line fault that lasted a year i was told that turning off my router at night would not cause the DLM to raise my SNR or lower my sync, After my line was fixed i was called by someone from BT and told to keep my line on 24/7 for the first 10 days i think it was.
After that i could return to turning it off every night when i went to sleep.
He informed me that the dlm would not consider this as a fault if i was only doing it at night and not every time i switched of my pc.
I have been doing this since march and i still have an IP profile of 5mb and snr has never moved from 6.
So if you ask me from my own experience, turning off the router once a day before you goto sleep has no effect on your SNR or IP profile.
Ps i am now on the new profile system so no longer get 1,1.5,2,2.5 and so on, think its 5.3mb or something stupid like that for my profile now
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:15:53 PM by iwish »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything