Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Chilham village  (Read 9639 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Chilham village
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »

Few of you will have heard of Chilham. It's a tiny village on the top of a hill, a few miles from Canterbury. But it attracts visitors from all over the world, who come to see its beautifully preserved 15th century village square and its castle with a 12th century Norman keep. The castle is really a very grand manor house built in 1616 on the site of the old castle.

The castle grounds are open to the public on alternate Tuesdays through the summer, and I went there to have a look round.

The castle

The Norman keep

The lake in the castle grounds

The village square

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:29:17 PM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Chilham village
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »

Lovely location Eric,and very nice photo's.  :)

The last but one reminds me of the Mermaid Inn in Rye.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »

Lovely place  -  lovely photos Eric   :)

I was interested in the history of the place, and a recurring item says that Thomas Becket might have been buried in the churchyard there   ........   isn't there a memorial to him in Canterbury Cathedral   ?  It's  aeons since I visited Canterbury but remember something about Becket.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »

Phil, I see what you mean about the Mermaid Inn. :)

Kate, although I've lived half an hour's drive from Canterbury for 15 years, I've never actually visited the cathedral. :-[  I must correct that very soon. Beckett, of course, was murdered in the cathedral, and there's an altar as his memorial where the deed took place.
  Eric

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

Chilham village is indeed a lovely place, I`ve been there a few times in the past, but I`ve never been into the Castle.

I`m sure they have Medieval re-enactments sometimes?

I`ll have to get my backside down there again and have a look round the castle grounds.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »

If you want to visit the castle grounds you have to go on the right day. I was there (by lucky accident) last Tuesday 14th June, and it should be open on alternate Tuesdays, so the next open day is on the 28th, and so on.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »

I've never actually visited the cathedral. :-[  I must correct that very soon.

The rather annoying thing about the cathedral in my view is that you now have to pay to take a look around. This changed some years ago and we have not been in since. You only get in for free if you attend a service or live in one of the central Canterbury parishes.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »

I imagine that the cost of maintaining a building like that must be enormous. As the cathedral is one of the main reasons for the flocks of tourists in Canterbury, I can understand their wanting to get those tourists to pay towards the upkeep.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »

Of course  !  Becket was murdered in the cathedral  ::)    it's all coming back to me now   :D     Apparently,  Jane Austen's   'Emma'  was filmed in Chilham for the BBC production   .... I must watch the DVD again.

I don't mind paying, or making a donation,  to look around any historical building, be it a Cathedral, Church or  Stately Home  (Châteaux)  if it means they remain open to the public.   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »

Mermaid Inn, Rye

Eric's Chilham village photo.

Not exactly the same,but as soon as I saw that photo it made me think of the Mermaid Inn.I stayed there many years ago. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:12:22 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »

I think your posting may need some TLC, Phil. I can only see the Chilham photo. Is your Rye picture a hotlink to an image on another site?
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 12:15:55 PM »

We visited Chilham some years ago now it's a lovely place but didn't get to see the castle.  Isn't the village considered to be one of the most haunted places in Kent or am I getting that mixed up with somewhere else? 

We don't get to Canterbury now since I don't drive too far atm, we used to go to the market some weeks which we enjoyed doing and only 40 odd miles away was a nice trip out.  Went to the Cathedral years ago before the payment was introduced, it was lovely to walk round, would like to go back one day if we can.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »

We visited Chilham some years ago now it's a lovely place but didn't get to see the castle.  Isn't the village considered to be one of the most haunted places in Kent or am I getting that mixed up with somewhere else?

I think that's Pluckley. It's got at least 12 ghosts (so they say).
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »

I think your posting may need some TLC, Phil. I can only see the Chilham photo. Is your Rye picture a hotlink to an image on another site?

I what to apologise for stupidly hot linking a photo form another site.It was a genuine mistake on my part.I have removed the offending photo and replaced it. :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »

No harm done. :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything