Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Energy Price Hikes(The Return)  (Read 7045 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Energy Price Hikes(The Return)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »

:lol:        Top of the list Unc    :P 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »

:lol:        Top of the list Unc    :P 

Why does that not surprise me   :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »

Here goes then   .......

renloup  ...

We've lived hear for over 18 years now, purchasing our property in 1989, so comparing  living in general with the UK is difficult for me, as I don't visit that often.
House prices have of course increased over the years, but the property market here is nothing like  the UK .  For a start anyone wanting a mortgage (a bank credit) needs to find about a third of the price for a deposit, normal maximum loans are in the main for 15 years.   Renting is by far a more popular choice, as in many parts of  mainland Europe.    In a lot of instances,  people who do own their own properties have inherited them down the generations, and because properties are kept within the family, this again has an effect on the market.  Some families own several properties which are  handed out amongst children, grandchildren etc.    There are retirement homes, but on the whole it is normal for elderly parents, grandparents and even great grandparents (or elderly relatives)  to live within the family unit.  An extension to the family home, or a new build in the vast plots that most of them have.     A home for the French in the main is not an investment but a place to live, thus there is not the same onus placed on ownership.

Average temperatures :  France covers a huge area, and temperatures differ obviously north to south, east to west .... we are well south in the west, our 'normal' average temperatures are say ...March to May  ... mid 20's Celsius  ....May to September mid to high  30's September to November mid 20's again  ...Dec..Jan..Feb. are what we call winter and these can vary vastly.  Our heating requirements therefore are much less than they were in the North west of the UK (we have a wood burning stove in the larger lounge) .... we have tiled floors not fitted carpets  .....  no heavy curtains  -we have shutters which keep both the heat in and out as required !!

Food !  I find in our region food prices are very good.  ( We note that Tourist areas have higher prices. )     Quality excellent.  I personally buy only French reared meat,  we have the advantage of excellent  local markets every day if we want one,  offering fresh produce at reasonable prices.   We live in a rural working area, where the work is wine, in the most famous Appellation  area in the world, and of course wine is of high quality and cheap.   

Clothing, well you've asked the right person   :lol: I'm assuming you mean prices of clothing ?  It depends what you want to pay.   You can get a perfectly decent,  fashionable  pair of shoes from the larger supermarket chains  ie  Leclercs, Auchan, Carrefour    ( I suppose like Tesco, Asda etc)   for on average 12 Euros .....  or you can go to Charles Jourdan, Dolce & Gabbana, La Croix etc..shops in Bordeaux and pay what you are mad enough to pay   ;D   

Public Transport is plentiful, punctual (usually)   clean and prices are reasonable.  You can get half price offers by booking earlier on trains.  Internal flights e.g..  Bordeaux to Paris 32 Euros.
I personally use the tram system here to go into the City (Bordeaux)   I drive to a park and ride station..... about 20 mins ..... return ticket 3 Euros ....parking included,   and the 3 Euros covers any passengers too   .... each  get a return ticket  which  is valid for an hour, so an onward journey can be taken either on another tram or a bus  ...  The service is excellent with a tram every 8 minutes. 

Taxation is a little difficult for me to comment on, apart from local taxes such as council tax.     We retired here 18 years ago (hubby was 47 at the time.   and took an offer we would have been foolish to refuse  - ) we already owned the house here which we'd used for holidays for 4 years.  Our income  is taxed in the UK.    The income tax system here is quite involved, but each person is taxed in their own right then different allowance made to couples, for children, depending on age, and of course income.   Quoting from our rural situation  ..... our own 'council tax' was  in 2010  One 5th   of that  we were paying in our rural situation in the UK before the end of July 1993  and  includes  weekly, and TV licence.   

Health care is second to none.    On arrival in France  1993 we had a private health care cover with a UK company.  In 2000 we were obliged to join the French health system, and obtained our ‘Carte Vital’ ….  we paid a percentage of our income, which was considerably less that the private health cover  !    Once I became eligible for a UK state pension in 2008 we ceased to pay as the reciprocal agreement with the UK came into force.     Like most people here, we have a Complimentary Insurance  (Top Up)  ..... so for example  ... a fee is paid for  a visit to the GP .....you present the GP with the carte Vitale .which he inserts into his computer;  the health service (CPAM) refund a percentage of that fee automatically to your bank account, , and the top up pays the rest.  A top up is designed to your requirement, the more cover you want   e.g. .....  GP, pharmacy, dentist, opticians     etc.   .....  obviously  the more expensive it is, but the choice is yours. 

This  system applies at the  pharmacy; in general you ‘register’ with a pharmacy, thus using the same one, the ‘reimbursement’ from the CPAM is deducted and either you or the Top Up pays the balance,  You have a card for the Top Up as well.  We have just signed up for a system within the Pharmacies throughout France, whereby if you are on holiday and have a health problem your medication details are on record on the  pharmacy computer system, accessible with your Carte Vitale. Useful if you lose or forget any medication  !!

A level of Surgeons  fees are set by the CPAM ..... and they reimburse that fee   ..... if the surgeons fee is higher than this level, then the Top Up make that up.  So, the minimum you want from a Top Up is surgery fee cover.   Hospital patients are usually in an individual room, the maximum   (perhaps  a  in very busy department)  is two patients,  with bathroom.  Food of course is included, TV's are payable at 2 Euros per day.    Our GP is about 3 kms away, he answers his own telephone, no receptionist, his surgery is at his home, you turn up and wait ... he has an open morning surgery .... appointments in the afternoon  .... Thursday is his home visit day .. he is always available at the end of the 'phone.  Ambulances are on the whole privately run,  reimbursed by the CPAM  ....   but for any emergency the paramedics are the ones to call and these are part of the general emergency services on a two digit number.

Welfare system; follow up  home /  or home  care is put in place by the hospital and/or the GP concerned .  As part of the welfare system there are transport tickets available (2 Euros per ticket)   for elderly    (over 65’s) or infirm  or people living alone  …. These can be used for hospital visits, shopping  etc.    The state pension age, for men and women, is 60 at the moment, this will increase in 2018 to 62.     Home help, meals and wheels etc are all available, they are subject to payment, but again can be  covered either  by the CPAm or Top Up. 

We have seen many changes over the years, as the country has flourished.   Motorways are subject to charge, unless there is no alternative national route.  Rail routes are available to many village areas. School buses are plenty.   There is no road tax for private vehicle owners.  Walk around any car park and you will find that at least 90 of the cars are French made.
Overall,  the French pay for their services, they expect service and they get it.

That gives a brief   :D   idea of the things you mention. I would stress, we didn’t move to ‘escape’ the UK ;  We owned our property already, had travelled backwards and forwards as often as possible for four years and had built up a knowledge of the area and culture, made French friends (who have been added to over the years) .  My ill health in the UK (chronic asthmatic)  was deteriorating at  a pace.  We were aware that in a warmer/dryer climate I had  no problems at all, and on our first visit to France  in the 1970’s I knew I could live here, our decision to buy was therefore made easier, as was  our decision, and ability,  to move a lot sooner than originally anticipated .   We decided that we had to give it 5 years, moving countries is not like holidaying, and 18 years later we have no regrets.  I do not use any asthma  medication (or any other for that matter)  at all, which has been a new lease of life for me.      We are, by choice, well  integrated  into French life with some superb near neighbours.       We are in contact with  only two English couples, one lives 20 kms away and the other  2 hours away.   French is fast becoming a first language, and through that ability we have achieved a  quality of life that suits us very well.     I would never pretend  that it is utopia, of course there are social problems;  we are  retired, self supporting and living in a rural situation and therefore  shielded from any trials and tribulations that might affect the ‘banlieus ‘   (suburbs)  of the big cities. 

Well, you did ask   ;D

I hope I haven’t bore you all   :-\

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »

Oh my goodness - that's taken  up a lot of space     :o :-[

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »

Oh my goodness - that's taken  up a lot of space     :o :-[

A very nice essay on the French way of life  :) ,and its kept you out of the shops for a while  :D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »

I found that a very interesting read Kate. There are obviously pros and cons for living in either country. I suppose you might get used to living there in a little while then. :)
All I can say is good on you. I wish many times I had done something like that. But a stick in the mud am I. Thanks for sharing with us.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »

All I can say is good on you. I wish many times I had done something like that. But a stick in the mud am I. Thanks for sharing with us.

I had the chance in the late 1980's of buying and old property(for very little) in Normandy and renovating it.I had to decline as I was going through a difficult time in my life at that period.
It is a massive regret that I didn't pursue it,but thats life.

I love France,I have holidayed on the Riviera and also visited Northern France on a few occasions.I hope we will be back in the not too near future  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »

That was really interesting, Kate. It's given me a dose of wanderlust. ;D
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »

I've not been in here for a while (long story involving my eyes again), but feel I should comment.

Kate - your experience of living in France parallels ours when we lived in Germany (civilians, not with the forces) in the 80s.  ALL you have said applies to our own living just to the North of Frankfurt in the Taunus region.  We go back to see our old neighbours year after year and nothing much has changed regarding the quality of life.

We put up with 2nd class everything here in the UK and pay the earth for it.

We are so unhappy with the state the UK has got into that we put our house up for sale a couple of weeks ago and ...... you guessed it .... are moving back to the Taunus!  We kept a holiday home there and, now we have decided to fully retire, it is the perfect "downsize" for us to move into.  The only change we will make is to put a hard-standing there to park the motorhome and also those of our kids when they come to visit.

Colin

PS - eyes now OK again and I got my licence back, so I can share the driving with Sue.

scottiesmum

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »

Colon,     pleased that your eyes are better and that you are able to share the driving again.   All good luck to you with your move to pastures not that new to you  :)   

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »

Good luck Colin, glad your eyes are better. I know what it's like when they are not right.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »

Just a heads-up for folk who don't know (like myself 48hrs ago), you can get FREE Cavity Wall Insulation and Loft Insulation applied to your house.

When I say 'free', you have actually already paid for it by way of a 5% levvy on your Gas and Lekky bills. Have a look, it comes under the governments commitment to the EU to reduce carbon emissions. The government in turn, have passed the onus onto the energy companies to bring the emmisions down and allow this 5% levvy to be added to bills.

The energy companies have to show that they have spent all the collected extras, (the 5%), and are fined massively (millions) if any underspend is found.

We have ours being done a week on Monday. My Sister and Father-in-law have had it done last week, and my neighbour only yesterday. I know it's small change in comparison to our outlay for energy, but it's something.

HTH somebody.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »

Thank you for the interesting and informative reply, Kate :)

It does show how difficult it is to make comparisons of living standards on price alone. We over here do seem to do worse than in the  ::)evil ::) Euro zone.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

Just a heads-up for folk who don't know (like myself 48hrs ago), you can get FREE Cavity Wall Insulation and Loft Insulation applied to your house.

When I say 'free', you have actually already paid for it by way of a 5% levvy on your Gas and Lekky bills. Have a look, it comes under the governments commitment to the EU to reduce carbon emissions. The government in turn, have passed the onus onto the energy companies to bring the emissions down and allow this 5% levvy to be added to bills.
I thought that you only got these grants if you are on benefits ?

That's what I was told when I applied last year to increase the insulation in the loft.
As I am in full time work, I wasn't eligible  :-\

I only had around 4 inches of loft insulation - I think that over the years it compresses and loses thickness ?

I've now increased this to around 10 inches and I'm sorted now.

I ended up doing it myself as I rang around and the insulation companies wanted nearly £200 for carrying out the work  :o

Mike

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »

>>> I thought that you only got these grants if you are on benefits ? <<<

In Scotland,  free insulation can be granted on an age criteria.........72 years and above, IIRC........and irrespective of means/circumstances.
And it is free, funded by the Scottish Parliament.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:18:11 PM by tuftedduck »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything