Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unstable Line Stats  (Read 1993 times)

mikew650

Unstable Line Stats
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »

My connection has been unstable for the last 2 months although I am on a long line. My target snr was 9 and is now 12 which has improved stability. I've done the usual checks connected to test socket with no difference. The only constant is a lot of re-connections during heavy rain showers. What do the stats attached  tell you, any ideas please ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Unstable Line Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »

If it gets (a lot) worse when it's raining then it's very likely that there's a wet joint on the line.  You could try to raise a fault, but being so far from the exchange I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last time I had a suspicious noise message on my router the ADSL filter was faulty.  Have you tried changing this?
Regards,
Mick

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:09 AM »

Hi Mike W,

I would definitely change the filter and leave the new one on test for many days.

Your line length is not as long as some we have seen. If you look here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

you'll see you should be getting over 3 Mbps which you do sometimes achieve

I don't usually see any impulse noise comp tones, but I'm not sure of its relevance yet.
Can you take a screen picture and post the bit loading diagram please.

You could also try the 17070 option 2 quiet line and 1 ringb ack tests from the test socket.

Kind regards,
Walter

mikew650

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

Hello

Thanks for your replies. I have attached todays stats. The skies were looking black and expecting more disconnections I captured these from routerstats and the routers own stats page.

I do live just over 3 mlies from the exchange, which is in the next village, so I consider myself lucky to get 3 mb speed . Untill this year I was only getting 1 mb ( 68 attn down) , then the line became noisey and Openreach found a HR fault . I then had a 53 attn down and over 3 mb connection. I recently had the poles replaced outside my home as I live next to a rail crossing. They are taller than the ones they replaced. It was done overnight and I have a joint on the wall where they connected to the house wire. Don't know if this has caused it.

I have no noise on the quiet line test. As far as the filter goes I tried a new one on for 3 days at the test socket, but I will try that again. I have a Clarity faceplate which I have had for 5 years. Do they age?

Attachments in 2 posts.

mikew650

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »

Routerstats capture

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »

Your pictures seem to indicate noise below the pilot tone 64.
Is the railway an overhead electrified one ?

Filters can deteriorate at any time, some even with "infant mortality" faults.

Does your wall joint box have more than one cable going in and one coming out ?
Also do the cables all have drip loops hanging down below the cable entry points on the joint box?

Kind regards,
Walter

mikew650

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »

Hello Walter

The railway is an automatic crossing with just the power for the gates and no overhead power cables. The junction is a 6" tube with a single pole cable entering and the single home cable exiting. There are double loops at both ends.

I've just reset my broadband connection by the router BB reset option to post the latest stats. Notice I've connected up at 3456 and no suspicious impulse tones. I get the suspicious impulse tones showing when I get these frequent disconnections, maybe like lightning effects. It will probably be ok for now as aftrenoon is usually most stable time with fair weather.