Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modem Routers  (Read 4265 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Modem Routers
« on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »

I am looking at buying a SpeedTouch 585v6 because they have a good reputation for being good on low SNRs in the evening. I saw the post on this website ( ), which said that it sorted his problems, I am pretty much having the same problem.

Ok, here's my question, there are two versions on eBay, one that is locked to Tiscali and one that is Thomson branded, i.e. unlocked. The unlocked one is £24.99, whereas the Tiscali one is £19.99, is it worth paying a bit extra, or can I easily unlock the Tiscali one?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:00:46 PM by arobertson545 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SpeedTouch 585v6
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »

I believe that you can unlock the Tiscali version by using the upgrade wizard (on the CD) to downgrade the firmware to a different version, but I've no personal experience.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

Roseway, is the SpeedTouch as good as people say it is, e.g. for managing noise?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »

Personally I don't like Speedtouch routers because of their horrible web interface. I haven't used one for ages, so I can't really comment. Most people (I think) would say that the best router for handling difficult lines is the BT 2700HGV.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »

Ok, apart from their web interface, would you recommend them?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »

I'm not in a position to recommend them, because I haven't used one for years. They have Broadcom chipsets, so I expect that their performance is similar to other Broadcom based routers.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

I have an ST546, which for my line is better than the 2700HGV.
The line syncs at a nominal SNR Margin of 9db. In the evening noise this drops towards 6dB.
With the 2700 the CRC error rate would always rocket, and performance would become intolerable.
Usually after 30 mins of this it would eventually resync - or I'd do it manually.
The ST546 just shrugs off the evening noise - the CRC rate increases, but performance doesn't noticeably degrade.
It's much more stable than the 2700. It usually resyncs every 4 or 5 days, at seemingly random times.

But in the daytime the 2700 was a bit faster as measured by speedtests and sync speed. Around an extra .5Mbps on about 6Mbps.

If it packs up I'd definitely buy another Speedtouch - either 546 or 585. The 2700 has expired, and I won't bother to replace it.

Cheers,
Peter

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »

I have been using the 2700HGV and have had the same problems as you, the connection would hold for two days, error seconds would rocket and then it would sync much lower. I have purchased the unlocked Speed Touch 585v6 from eBay. I'll keep a sort of "journal" on this thread showing my experiences and what's good and bad about the router. The router will be here on Friday!

Stay tuned!

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »

TBH, since my intermittent line problem was sorted many months ago, I run my 2640B at around 3dB (daytime) and it holds on down to 1.3-1.5dB without much in the way of errors.... but dg834gt (same chipset) didn't do as well. It really is about finding the router which performs best on your particular line - good luck :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SpeedTouch 585v6 Journal
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »

It's interesting to see how different routers perform on different lines. My experience is quite different to the above - Broadcom based routers have rather average performance and aren't very stable, but the 2700HGV connects at a higher speed and stays up for weeks. It just goes to show that there's no single 'best' router, only horses for courses.
  Eric

Barrie

Re: SpeedTouch 585v6 Journal
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »

It's interesting to see how different routers perform on different lines. My experience is quite different to the above - Broadcom based routers have rather average performance and aren't very stable, but the 2700HGV connects at a higher speed and stays up for weeks. It just goes to show that there's no single 'best' router, only horses for courses.

Couldn't agree more! I have a rural line of some 6.2km long with an attenuation of 63dB (82.5dB @ 300Khz) and the 2700HGV works beautifully (24/7). In contrast the Broadcom chipset Routers I have tried will NOT even sync - none of theml (I've tried the DG834g V4, D-Link DSL 2640b, DG834GT). In contrast a neighbour of mine who is on the same  line, but a mere 4Km from the exchange, uses a DG834GT without problem.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Modem Routers
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

Turns out that router is locked after all. Lucky he didn't send it!

I am now looking for a router than I can buy off the shelf, e.g. Currys, Maplin etc.

I have been looking at some Linksys routers. What are they like for sync and stability

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Modem Routers
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

Looking at the Currys/PC World range, my choice would be the Netgear DGN2200. I've no experience of Linksys, so I can't comment on those.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »

Hi
I am running a DG834G V4 .Connecting at about 7000Kbps  its been up for 44 days .
Regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »

Bear in mind also that, regardless of ADSL performance,  the overall stability of the router is important.

My only experience of the '585 was the 585V7.  It did perform very well in terms of connection speed and noise tolerance, but the darned thing had a habit of locking up solid, requiring a power-cycle reboot as often as several times a day.    That's not just an inconvenience as, if it happens often enough, BT's DLM can interpret it line-instability, and increase your target margin (reduce your speed) to compensate.

I'm now on my second netgear (DG834GT) and have found them to be very reasonable in adsl performance as well as stable in other respects, although the first one died prematurely (aged just over a year) owing to poor quality electrolytic capacitors, several of which were bulging and fit to burst when I looked inside at the autopsy.   Hopefully (?), later models will have better quality components.

- 7LM
Pages: [1] 2

anything