Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The end is nigh .............  (Read 3436 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
The end is nigh .............
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »

A giant asteroid will only just miss earth later this year, according to NASA.

The huge rock, dubbed YU55, will pass within 201,700 miles of our planet in November.

If it crashes into earth the impact would be equivalent to 65,000 atomic bombs, while the crater would be six miles wide and 2,000 ft deep.

The asteroid, which weighs 55 million tons and is 1,300ft wide, will be the largest ever object to get so close to our planet. It orbits the sun every 14 months.

It will be closer to us than the moon, which is on average 238,855 miles away and will be visible through a small telescope.

The best times to view it will be between 23:28 on 8 November and 07:13 on 9 November (UK time).

According to NASA spokesman Dave Yeomans, there is no chance YU55 will crash into earth… for the time being. He said in statement: “YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over, at the very least, the next 100 years.”

He added: “During its closest approach, its gravitational effect on the Earth will be so minuscule as to be immeasurable. It will not affect the tides or anything else.”

Nonetheless, it has been officially labeled a ‘potentially hazardous object’ by the space agency.

YU55 was discovered by Robert McMillan, head of the NASA-funded Spacewatch Program at the University of Arizona in 2005, but it’s not the only ‘near-earth object’ they are monitoring.

NASA are also keeping tabs on WN5, an asteroid that will pass the planet in 2028, and ‘99942 Apophis’, a celestial body measuring 1,200 ft which could zoom past us on April 13 2036.

They also believe an even bigger asteroid has a one-in-a-thousand chance of colliding with earth in 2182.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: The end is nigh .............
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:37 AM »

Thanks for those comforting words. :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »

We're all going to get well and truly stoned... :D

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »

Just giving you all a 'heads up' Uncle UB. If we can't find Bruce Willis, the job of blowing the asteroid up may fall to members of Kitz.  ;D

TD ....  ;D my teenage years will come flooding back.  ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »

The bigger problem is that it is nearer the moon than earth, now if it were to hit the moon then we would really have a problem.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »

As long as it doesn't hit my yellow duster !  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »

;D

Although most people don't realise it, our continued existence on earth is totally dependent on the moon staying more or less where it is. It's actually drifting away from us at a speed which means that in about a billion years we won't be able to live here any more. I don't propose to worry about that, but as Adrian said, if an asteroid were to shift the moon's orbit by a large amount, we would be in big trouble.
  Eric

Lord Gumble

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »

I thought the moons gravitational pull was just for waves, and tides. Sorry, but geography aint my best subject lol!!

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

I thought the moons gravitational pull was just for waves, and tides. Sorry, but geography aint my best subject lol!!

Tides, our gravity, weather patterns, seismic/tectonic activity are all affected by the position of the moon, amongst other things.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »

The moon also plays an essential part in stabilising our orbital behaviour. Its orbiting around us has a sort of gyroscopic effect which keeps the Earth in its place. If the moon were to move away, the movement of the Earth would become unstable, which would have disastrous effects on life here.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »

The lunatics would have a field day as well.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »

The moon also plays an essential part in stabilising our orbital behaviour. Its orbiting around us has a sort of gyroscopic effect which keeps the Earth in its place. If the moon were to move away, the movement of the Earth would become unstable, which would have disastrous effects on life here.

Are you sure ?

As long as the Earth didn't deviate by more than a few million miles from it's current orbit then I would have thought that life on Earth would still flourish ?  :-\
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

After some googling apparently scientists speculate that the lack of the moons gravitational influence would have a big effect on the seasons so there is a chance that life could be affected after all !

Fortunately I won't be around when the moon eventually escapes the Earth's gravitational field  ;D
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »

Are you sure ?

As long as the Earth didn't deviate by more than a few million miles from it's current orbit then I would have thought that life on Earth would still flourish ?  :-\

Yes, I'm pretty sure. See http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v361/n6413/abs/361615a0.html and http://www.astrobio.net/index.php?option=com_retrospection&task=detail&id=2507

The Moon has been a stabilizing factor for the axis of rotation of the Earth. If you look at Mars, for instance, that planet has wobbled quite dramatically on its axis over time due to the gravitational influence of all the other planets in the solar system. Because of this obliquity change, the ice that is now at the poles on Mars would sometimes drift to the equator. But the Earth’s moon has helped stabilize our planet so that its axis of rotation stays in the same direction. For this reason, we had much less climatic change than if the Earth had been alone. And this has changed the way life evolved on Earth, allowing for the emergence of more complex multi-cellular organisms compared to a planet where drastic climatic change would allow only small, robust organisms to survive.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

Roseway, it's hard to believe that life on Earth owes it's existence to a mass of rock  :o
Mike
Pages: [1] 2

anything