Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Another Earthquake  (Read 5648 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Another Earthquake
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »

This time in Japan. This one triggered a tsunami. Just been listing to live coverage. Seems like there is not the loss of life as in New Zealand but the tsunami looks pretty bad.
The tsunami warning has been widened to most of the Pacific coast.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:09:07 AM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

AdrianH

Re: Another Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »

My son decided a few weeks back that there are too many people on earth and Gia is trying to shake some off.

Let's hope the tsunami doesn't claim any more lives.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »

Perhaps, after all,  there is some credence to the claims that the "lunar perigee"  or supermoons are the cause of natural disasters.    I don't know.   But it's a dreadful event for Japan.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »

The thing is these natural events are the worst that has happened for many, many years. Japan is used to earthquakes, they are well prepared for them. This tsunami is what they are not prepared for.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »

Dreadful to see the devastation being shown on television, especially with how quickly the tsunami sped through miles of land...looking at those pictures I can only imagine there will be a huge loss of life though of course I hope I'm wrong.  Can't imagine what it must be to go through the quake let alone the following events.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »

Have been watching the video feed of the tsunami destroying all in its path but had to turn it off , it's just too much to watch , there must be so many people lost  :'(

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »

I've been listening to the French news in the car on my way back from an errand  ....  there is now some concern about  the  TEP  Nuclear power station  as the quake has caused a malfunction.....  many evacuated from area....    :(   

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

Yes, it is panning out to be a major incident all round. Many dead people have been found and there are many more missing. It just goes to show that one can prepare all one likes, but one can never beat the power of nature.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »

Some interesting data/info on this blog > http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/12/japan-tsunami-earthquake-live-coverage

An expert from the USGS has told CNN that the quake appears to have moved Japan's main island by 8 feet and shifted the world on its axis.

Without doubt this will have some affect on weather patterns for all of us.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »

Some interesting data/info on this blog > http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/12/japan-tsunami-earthquake-live-coverage

An expert from the USGS has told CNN that the quake appears to have moved Japan's main island by 8 feet and shifted the world on its axis.

Without doubt this will have some affect on weather patterns for all of us. 

:( :o

Latest news I watched this morning was the explosion at the nuclear reaction, they didn't have the full story on what part exploded and how it will affect the area et al....seems things can get worse when one thought the quake and tsunami were enough....  Those poor people out there, the devastation etc....looking at the pictures played on TV makes you wonder just HOW they can start clearing the debris and get some sanitation/food/water and shelter together.  What a mammoth task it must be.  :(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »

I have never watched as much news on tv. It is going to take years just to clean up. Where are they going to put all the debris? There is all the houses to rebuild, Oooh! it beggars belief what can happen.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »

Absolutely frightening the power of nature and the trail of devastation it can leave.

'Disaster teams' are pretty good at this sort of thing though. Years ago, I applied along with many thousands of others (and failed) for BT's own disaster team after they asked for volunteers. Although we never received a reason why, the ones I knew who applied and failed didn't have a '2nd language'. I'm only guessing that this could have been the reason we failed.

I admit, it's a humongous task to get Japan back on its feet, the logistical part of the task must be the hardest to put into practice. Where the hell does one begin ??

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »

Apparently the danger is not over yet, now they have to deal with the nuclear power stations. Various reports on the human cost. This disaster really has me thinking, although there is nothing I can do about it, I still think about and feel for those people.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »

We've all seen the footage, try a look at this site though showing aerial shots of 'Before and after'. Drag your mouse from right to left on the photo's.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

:no:

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

That really shows the total devastation, loss of homes, land, crops. One can only imagine the loss of life as well. Some parts of the land must have been changed forever. I know that many, many places were raised to the ground during the last war, but this has been brought about by nature alone.

Thanks for the link razpag.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything