Broadband Related > ISPs

BT, what speed should I expect?

(1/2) > >>

Cmcm:
Hi

i have been struggling with Tiscali customer services for the last year and have finally decided to go elsewhere. BT works out as the cheapest with the added benefit of removing the middleman when it comes to sorting out any issues.

Currently, with tiscali and after much badgering, I get an unreliable  connection up to 3 mbps, unreliable, in that we are frequently disconnected. The downstream attenuation is 56dB, IP profile 3Mbps and modem syncing at 3.5 Mbps.

When I started signing up to BT they estimates the line speed at 2Mbps, which is normal as I'm assuming they are using distance from the exchange. The catch is when I started to go through the agreement it seems to talk purely about 2.0Mbps as the maximum achievable speed and that it may be less. There is no mention that it could be more.

As I am using a BT line already I know its capable of a 3Mbps connection, but I'm concerned that if I switch to BT that I won't get above 2 Mbps. If I switch to BT are they going to stick to the 2 Mbps estimate if I call about performance, or would they help me get back to 3Mbps?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to sign up to an 18 month agreement only for my speed to drop to 2Mbps and be unable to do anything about it. Also, would the fact that my neighbour has a BT business line to his house mean that his traffic is prioritised over mine?

Cheers

Conor

From BT speedtest:
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 2697 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3584 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps

waltergmw:
hi Cmcm,

Your current IP profile is correct for the sync speed you are on.

We'll be able to help more if you can post your modem stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

I suggest a better solution if you're moving is to go to a more expensive CP but on a 1 month contract such as Zen or AAISP, amongst others.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway:

--- Quote ---BT works out as the cheapest with the added benefit of removing the middleman when it comes to sorting out any issues.
--- End quote ---

That's not actually true. BT Internet buys capacity from BT Wholesale on exactly the same terms as any other ISP. This level playing field is a regulatory requirement.

I second what Walter says - the more expensive ISPs in general offer much better service when it comes to resolving technical problems.

razpag:
As an aside, did you know that the average phone line will only experience a fault every 14 years ?? That has gone up since Openreach came into being, where it was roughly 9 years.

CurlyWhirly:

--- Quote from: razpag on March 06, 2011, 03:11:24 PM ---As an aside, did you know that the average phone line will only experience a fault every 14 years ?? That has gone up since Openreach came into being, where it was roughly 9 years.
--- End quote ---
That's interesting.

Any idea why this has changed ?

Better maintenance for example ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version