Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Line stats for a line below fault threshold  (Read 10171 times)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: Line stats for a line below fault threshold
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »

Many thanks  razpag for the help.   :)

Could I ask how best to proceed on arranging an SFI visit?

At the moment I have a migration date away from PN to Be* later next week.

PN response to these pretty DMT charts :
Dear Hb.
As you may well know, BT use a number of manufacturers for their MSAN's and we can't choose which you are placed onto.
The speeds that you are currently receiving look good for the length of line and so there's little than an engineer could accomplish.

Would be wise to wait to see how the line looks on a Broadcom Msan rather than the current Huawei ??

Advice is always welcome! :-)

Thx again Hb

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

You should beable to still arrange an SFI with PN as long as you remain with them until you move to BE.

Regards
Gary

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »

Had a nother look around the loft just to make sure an RF3 had not been fitted.

There is no RF3 but the old white Block Terminal looks way past its best.

Would another option be : Ask OR to just move the Drop Wire (DR) out of the loft?

Instead of routing the DR all the way along the side of the house and up into the roof space, just run it  externally directly  along the wall, and drill a small pilot hole so the it can be feed into NTE2000 ?

Thanks again Hb.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »

That could be chargeable and if you are willing to pay for it a TRC (time related charge) can be raised to have the job done. If you are smart enough though you will get the engineer through your broadband service provider cause your more than likely to get it for free than pay for it then just ask the engineer if he could swap out the box. Just clarify with your service provider first though if they charge for SFI visits or if they fit the bill.

Regards
Gary

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »

Maybe Be* will be more understanding than PN once I'm up and running after migration. PN says no fault as far as their concerned as the radius logs ok.
(CLT: Pass Errors: MTBE down is low.  MTBE = ILQ.  MTBR = Green.)

I'm also looking  to see if the Bitloading changes on the Broadcom Msan compaired to the notorious Huawei.

Seems like a catch 22, we found the local radio RF issue but getting something done is more difficult than expected now PN changed the goal posts.

Thanks again !

Hb
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:45:51 PM by HighBeta »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

A question on the RF3 filter option.

Would an RF3 potentially improve sync speed by helping smooth out the RF interference. Or could it  lower sync speed with an increased line attenuation figure?

Thanks as always

Hb

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »

It's a double-edged sword I'm afraid.

It will provide greater stability but due to it's high imedance, will give lower synch speeds. However, if your line is erroring badly due to REIN/RFI then DLM (if you're not LLU) will drop your synch speed anyway.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

Hey,

Check and see if FTTC is available to you. www.samknows.com. Or just ask your SP to check tags on line to see if it is available. That would probably solve all your problems depending there is no underlying issues with your copper line or at your exchange. I know customers get fed up with waiting on issues to be dealt with but moving to another provider isn't always the best answer as you could be carrying your issues over with you and will have the exact same issues as before so you will be back to square 1 in the troubleshooting methods with a new provider and logging a call and waiting on BT wholesale and your SP to get another engineer booked etc etc. More hassle than what it is worth sometimes. The setup you did have though sounds like an old setup i take it your house is over 15 years old perhaps?

Regards
Gary
Pages: 1 2 [3]