Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Line stats for a line below fault threshold  (Read 10170 times)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: Line stats for a line below fault threshold
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »

Update on this issue.

Contacted PN , but now my FT has been lowered to 5995kbps.  :(  ( nothing changed on the line so, It seems some what underhand)

Apparently during the last SNR reset, (changing to a fix profile) the FT has been reduced.

Obviously not to impressed by this tactic, so it looks like BE will have a new customer.

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »

Line stats at the moment :-)

Noise Margin:     4.2   dB
Connection Rate:  7567  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 43.5  dB
Power:            0.0   dBm
Max Rate:         8448  Kbps
 SuperFrames:      11797216
SF (CRC) Errors:  9552
Reed Solomon:     0
RS Corrected:     0
RS Un-Corrected:  0
HEC:              7654
Errored Seconds:  7463
Severe ES:        18

Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps:         17284

Noise Margin:     5.5   dB
Connection Rate:  1095  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 22.4  dB
Power:            12.8  dBm
Max Rate:         1088  Kbps
 SuperFrames:      11254415
SF (CRC) Errors:  0
Reed Solomon:     0
RS Corrected:     0
RS Un-Corrected:  0
HEC:              0
Errored Seconds:  1
Severe ES:        0

Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps:         490

Any pointers of the likey Stats on Be* LLU value package where interleaving depth is 2?

Thanks Hb :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

stick your attenuation into this to give you an idea of what you may get - but use your attenuation -3dB, i.e. your dslMAX attenuation is probably 40-40.5dB so bung that in, and it equates to a sync of just over 9000 kb/s.

Really don't know about plusnet's 11000-ish max estimate, seems on the high side. For ref, my attn was 46dB on MAX, this gives 6800@6dB on 2+, I get 7200@ 3.5dB, which is in-keeping with the calculator. Thing is, is there's a line issue you'll be no better off than you are now unless the fault is on the BT DSLAM/MSAN in the exchange, and moving to an LLU provider puts you on a non-faulty one.

One thing I did notice on your DMT plot, is that even at lower frequencies, your bitloading doesn't really get over 11 bits per tone. Question is, why ???  Just as a comparison, here's a shot of mine....    

As for the big loss of tones around 1200-ish kHz, that looks like virgin am radio, check the link to see if you're anywhere near a transmitter.....on my DMT, the big dip @ 660kHz is because I'm a mile or so away from radio wales' Wrexham transmitter

http://www.mediumwaveradio.com/uk.php

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:25:20 PM by GunJack »
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »

Thanks for that its very useful.  8)

We are quite close  a mile or so from an  Arqiva mast thats up on a hills behind the house  This is its stats from arqiva 26 2kW 23 2kW 29 2kW AV). Could this be, the problem?

I'd tried the link, and apprently on that Mast their is a radio station using 963 kHz.

That was the main reason, for the BT call out was the lack of higher  Fq's  as you pointed out.

The normal dlmax attenuation is 38db. The line length is 2820m.

On adsl2+ its ranges between 40.5 & 43.5db depending on which router I use.

If its a radio transmitter, causing the problems , what can be done??

i'm struggling to think of reasons for the lack of anything over 11 bits  per tone on bitloading ??

Changing Msan was the option I was first looking towards,

Im kinda cluching at straws with the Msan but I do feel there is an ongoing issue that needs sorting.

Its a shame I had such a poor SFI which put pay to any other further investigation:(
Thanks again Hb

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:50:36 PM by HighBeta »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

Some more charts.

First is ADSL ( lowest snr)

Second is ADSL2 ( lowest snr)

Third is ADLS2+ with 3db target snr

If people need any more stats , just ask :-)

Thx Hb

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:36:07 PM by HighBeta »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »

Another thought, is the Phone line is run underground, to the house, then its routed up into the loft.
It runs the across the loft, then down into a NTE5 located on the first floor. (The ringwire is moved , the SFI used the 2 inner pair into the nte5)

The house roof is directly in the line of site of the mast.

Could this layout be the cause of the radio station(s) interference?

If so, is there a way to shield the line from this. Or with it require an SFI visit as its behind the NTE5 ?

Still struggling with why there not much over 11 bits per tone?

thx Hb
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:00:06 PM by HighBeta »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »

Some charts with routersats software:

Hope we can solve of these issues :)

Thanks Hb

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:03:05 PM by HighBeta »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »

Is their some phone line shielding people recommend ??

Or is it a case of basic aluminum foil & conduit.

Thx Hb :)

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »

HB, have a look at these as a starting point for line improvement :)

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »

Thanks GunJack.

The ring wire is out, its just a 2 inner pair connected into the new nte5 (& the one ext.)

The idea is to cover the phone line in the loft , to try and remove that radio pick up at 983khz ?

Any help/ideas are most welcome!

HB :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:05:21 PM by HighBeta »

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »

you need to be a bit careful messing with anything before the nte5, as that's bt's domain - and they may get a bit miffed if you've done anything to the cable.

raz...sorry, Mr Pag ;) i.e. razpag may be able to suggest something that OR wouldn't mind too much.....try a pm to him if he doesn't drop by this thread :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:50:34 PM by GunJack »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

Don't rally plan on messing, just covering the exposed phone line in the loft with some shielding , just to see if it helps with that local radio pick up.

The bT guy , did the wiring into the nte5 with the ring wire removed. He just did the 2 stright inner pair conetion & the just 2 & 5's on the ext .

I was hoping razpag would pop in with some thoughts  ;)

The more the merrier :)!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:17:42 PM by HighBeta »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »

There's not much I can really add to this debate I'm afraid. If you intend to wrap foil around the cable inside the house, then i'm pretty sure OR would not have cause for complaint. Personally, I dont think this would have much, if any impact on the circuit but nothing ventured etc .........  :)

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, or if I've got it wrong, but ....... you have an NTE5 in the loft and just the one extention socket ? Correct ? If so, is the NTE5 actually used ?? If the answer is 'no', I would have asked the SFI engineer to crimp the feed and extention wires together in the existing NTE5 and then make the existing extention socket the new NTE5. Then have him fit an NTE2000 at this point, as these filters also eliminate small 'noise' frequencies.

I would also ask him if he could fit an RF3 filter in the loft.

You're looking at roughly 30 mins work to do the above if all areas are easily accessible, and certain criteria is met with regard to the loft space. We have to abide by the 'Working in confined spaces' legislation, even if a previous engineer has fitted the NTE5 there in the past.

Hope this helps ??!! ;D

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

Thanks razpag.

The line comes into the front of the house to a Gray Connection Box (not sure if its an external NTE or not)  the drop wire continues up the side of the house into the loft space. It then runs diagonal along the loft as way from any other wiring.

Halfway along the loft run, the drop wire goes into small white Block Terminal. The white  cable then runs  the remaining length of the loft space.

The white  cable then proceeds down from the loft via a plastic conduit, into the upstairs back room.

It runs a 3 to 4m along the skirting board into the NTE5.

Its an 2 inner pair connection I think ?   Orange/White into the A  White/Orange into the B.

The routers RJ11 ( high spec 24K double shielded & gold plated) then plugs straight into the NTE5.

The one extention wire , is run from the NTE5 with just the 2 & 5 wires connected (at both ends ) downstairs into an old LJU4 / LJU5 style  socket.

Thanks for taking the time with this , it really appreciated!

Hb :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:42:53 PM by HighBeta »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »

Thanks razpag.

The line comes into the front of the house to a Gray Connection Box (not sure if its an external NTE or not)  the drop wire continues up the side of the house into the loft space. It then runs diagonal along the loft as way from any other wiring.

Halfway along the loft run, the drop wire goes into Point1) small white Block Terminal. The white  cable then runs  the remaining length of the loft space.

The white  cable then proceeds down from the loft via a plastic conduit, into the upstairs back room.

It runs a 3 to 4m along the skirting board into the Point 2) NTE5.

Its an 2 inner pair connection I think ?   Orange/White into the A  White/Orange into the B.

The routers RJ11 ( high spec 24K double shielded & gold plated) then plugs straight into the NTE5.

The one extention wire , is run from the NTE5 with just the 2 & 5 wires connected (at both ends ) downstairs into an old LJU4 / LJU5 style  socket.

Thanks for taking the time with this , it really appreciated!

Hb :)

Have another SFI task built (mentioning RF interference and your SNR/Bit Loading graphs) and when the engineer turns up, ask him to .........

Point 1) Fit the RF3 filter here

Point 2) Fit an NTE2000 here

Thats the level best OR could do to enhance the circuit, with regard to your problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything