Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: IP Profile fixed at 500kbps  (Read 18844 times)

mjuk

Re: IP Profile fixed at 500kbps
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »

Concerningly, I failed this test... as guess dropped out at this point  :(

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 122 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 122 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »

IP Profile 7150 is OK.
You can't have dropped out or the test wouldn't have given a result (slow though it is).
Leave well alone for now, as BB has said it's probably in the 10-day "training" period.

If ADSL2+ is available you could be getting nearer 16mbps. 32 times your old "capped" speed.
BUT who knows why you were capped.......... :'(

mjuk

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

So I shouldn't be concerned for now that sometimes my stats plummet to 0 intermittently (they did this yesterday when I was capped as well)?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »

If the IP profile remains at 7150, then the connection isn't dropping and reconnecting at a lower speed. The periodic plummetting of the noise margin is a concern, but as HP said, it's best for now to wait and see.

Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »

So I shouldn't be concerned for now that sometimes my stats plummet to 0 intermittently (they did this yesterday when I was capped as well)?

I think it does that on the training sort of a reset but it should not keep doing it.

Leave it alone for a few days and see what happens, if you can leave routerstarts running do so.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:27:37 AM by BritBrat »

mjuk

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

Thanks, everyone - I really appreciate your help and input!  Will keep the router on (don't turn off anyway) & track my stats.  Fingers crossed it settles down or it is something that can be rectified.  I will let you know how I get on over the next few days  ;D

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »

Your throughput speed is only 122Kbps that is VERY low on a 7150 IP profile. As stated do leave it as it is as it might take a few days to settle down and because your line has been uncapped by BTW you will be back on a 10 day training period again. Continue to run speedtests every hour morning, afternoon and evening if you can on speedtester.bt.com and record your results cause the server only records the last test you run so record the time,date and download speed along with the profile speed. If after about 5 days your throughput (download rate) is still at 122Kbps or possibly lower then you may very well have a network issue there or possibly a hot VP (pray its not a hot VP). I would probably suggest you plug the router directly into the test socket for these 5 days running your speedtests that way VM will have no excuse to give to you and will have to progress the fault onto BTW to check the VP or send an SFI out to investigate. Keep us posted on your progress will be interesting to see the outcome. Bare in mind aswell that the CAP may go back on again automatically but this is something that VM can not control as it is all tied into the BTW network with the DSL max circuit to ensure there is stability as opposed to fast speed.

Regards
Gary

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »

I agree with CSM would be best to have router in test socket for a few days, I guess you could still connect a phone via filter to it.

mjuk

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »

I did do a test earlier and got a speed in the region of 2.8meg but just watching stats and are generally stable then will plummet. 
I have no doubt that BTw had capped me for a reason but need to understand why this happened to begin with & prevent it happening again- guess time will tell.   Just read a bit more about hot VPs - really hope this is not the case!! 
I will move the router to the test socket although reluctant to disconnect to do so in case it disrupts the 'training'  :-\

I guess you could still connect a phone via filter to it.
Always annoying as master socket in the loft but willing to do so to get optimum conditions.  Will having the phone connected have great impact even via the filter?

Is there anyway to find out when your area is due for upgrade to ADSL+2?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »

Continue to log with routerstats. I'd also like to see if any errors are being reported by your router.

The type of errors generated can also be an early warning if there are problems on the line. 
If the DLM picks up a pile of noise errors, then the first thing it tends to do is switch on interleaving.
Connecting at 8128 with an IP profile of 7150 would tend to suggest that interleaving is off.

Re the noise, Id tend to follow britbrats advice.

Next time it rains dial 17070 (option2) and listen for noise, if it is noisy contact BT voice and report a fault but do not mention anything about broadband.

And if it is noisy while you are talking to them you are 90% there to getting it fixed.  Maybe you were on a fixed speed because of line issues/problems.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mjuk

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »

Is there a particular way I need to configure my routerstats to trigger necessary error reports? ie what threshold do I need for alarm triggers?
Thanks, Kirsty

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

Master socket in loft?

OMG

If that was me I would buy a new phone extension cable and run it from master socket in loft to somewhere in house, not ideal but better than going in loft every 5 mins.

When you are in loft could you take a photo of master socket and if possible any wiring and post the pics here.

I have a feeling your problem may be in the loft, just a guess really.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:31:14 PM by BritBrat »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »

I will move the router to the test socket although reluctant to disconnect to do so in case it disrupts the 'training'  :-\

Don't worry about that your not disconnecting the router long enough for the training to be interupted. Your master socket is in the loft! Not a good place for it to be rats can get at it muwhahaha lol. Well if you wanted that moved to somewhere else BT would charge you an arm and a leg for it well not literally but you get the picture. If you are on fast path it will eventually switch to interleaving and if the errors do continue to build after that has been done DLM will automatically cap your line again then you will know there is something wrong. Keep posting your stats like kitz said and also try to get those pictures see if any problems can be identified with the wiring.

Regards
Gary

mjuk

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »

I will take a photo once I manage to get up there but know it is one of the new ones (OPENREACH on front) so believe has built-in i-plate.  I will take photo of wiring but only installed a few months ago so hopefully wired OK?  No rats up there yet  ;)

It's actually OK re phone in loft as have a another handset that is linked to main phone   :)

Is there a particular way I need to configure my routerstats to trigger necessary error reports? ie what threshold do I need for alarm triggers?

Also, does it just log through the messages tab in Routerstats?  How will I know if interleaving gets turned on apart from IP profile gets downgraded? 

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

What you could do in the future for a more permanant fix is to fit your own NTE box along side the BT master and run a proper phone cable from that down to a bedroom.

Like at the bottom of this page:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

EDIT:

As it is new I must have guesed wrongly and it should be fine, I was thinking old wiring very old.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:49:01 PM by BritBrat »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything