Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rein or crosstalk ..PLEASE HELP!  (Read 13138 times)

lemzip

Re: Rein or crosstalk ..PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »

will try tonight, noise is currently on now, will try walking around outside in 10 mins.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »

@ Lemsip,

If possible, try walking under drop wire and then along the pole route.

Kind regards,
Walter

lemzip

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »

Al lmy cables are underground, no dropwire.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »

>> I am tempted to get a BT SFI Engineer out who is REIN trained

Im not certain..  but I think BT would consider variations of 3dB within 'normal realms' and as long as its not causing major problems such as continual drop outs, wouldnt really be able to do too much about it.  

I know a few lines that have variations.. in particular one line that would consistently do the same as yours but drop by about 6-7dB.   That was never solved until a neighbour in the downstairs flat moved out.  

radsl has SNR margins specifically to cope with fluctuations as it is almost expected that SNR will fluctuate for some reason or other.

I have a problem on my own line which now results in the loss of about 4Mbps..  but I doubt very much BT would do anything about it.. and a normal engineer would laugh and say there was nothing wrong with it as I still have  whats classed as a decent sync within the acceptable realms  :'(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »

Hi

I have a similar problem . Happens a various times of the day but NOT at set times . Not been able to pin it down..at present my snr margin is tweaked to about 9db drops to about 6db then recovers . this can happen at any time . Just have learnt to live with it  :)

see attachment below   

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

lemzip

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »

had a bt engineer today, said it was REIN before i showed him the graphs. I knew it was but he suggested it was going to be affecting my entire estate as my location as i just have farm fields on the other side (no electrical fence...ive checked) He suggested i monitor and get back to my isp for a REIN engineer.

He confirmed my house ''clean'' with no noise (turned off electric and noise was present) however he was not trained to find these faults.

So now im trying to log everytime things happen by time, we have around 70 properties connected to our green cab so going to do a leaflet to each house while i wait bt with the times things are happening and see if someone comes forward.

This is what i have so far (other hard drive decided to die, resulting in my logs being lost)

Sunday - 09/01/11 00:24 - 00:25 Noise Gone 00:24:56
Sunday - 09/01/11 09:20 - 09:21 Noise Start 09:20:39
Monday - 10/01/11 02:20 - 02:21 Noise Gone 02:21:23
Monday - 10/01/11 08:25 - 08:26 Noise Start 08:25:48

Obviously it is something turning off at around 12-3am and turning on again at 8-10am. Will log for a full week and see if i can find if the times are common

lemzip

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »

Well after finding my issue around 4 weeks ago my line is much more stable and i have some of my previous speed back.

It was a neighbours faulty be cool branded psu from his PC. He had no issue with the pc however i took my laptop round and showed him routerstats while we turned the pc on and off. Up and down my snrm moved by 4-5db. So i replaced his psu (just to get it done) however now i have another little bit of REIN.

I seem to be getting good at this so now im going to try track this down. It only affects the line between 0.6db - 1db and for around a hour each evening so trying to track it down is gonna be a pita however on some weekends its the whole day.

Now i know you should tune to 612kHz however this REIN i can see in my bitloading on dmt. Should i tune the radio rather to this freq? Its roughtl 1375 to 1400 kHz. Any idea what would be the easiest to do. I presume its further away from me as the drop in snr is so small and i have not been able to tie it up to the closest neightbours however i might go round the first one as i didnt have this drop when i provided them with a spare psu i had (ocz mod extreme modular) but i was not going to let them have my 100 quid psu!

I purchased a 30 quid one, not the best but might actually be causing me a issue aswell, i seem to be very subseptable to noise from that house as when they are home my snr is always moving a much more when they are not, could be just chance but seems to have a pattern.

Current speed with a 4db snr    

ADSL Link         Downstream         Upstream            
      Connection Speed          16519 kbps          1020 kbps             
      Line Attenuation          33.0 db          13.7 db             
      Noise Margin          3.5 db          10.9 db                   

I currently have a DG834N which gives me a 33db attenuation however my GT gives a 31.5 attenuation. SNRM drops to 3 when noise is at the worse then steps right to 3.5 then 4.2 during the day.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:43:06 AM by lemzip »

magicone

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »

My neighbours and I have been suffering from REIN for the last two months, I bought a automatic direction finder to locate the REIN. Now the REIN has vanished completely. Typical, they must have switched it off after seeing me running around the streets like a looney with a radio in hand  ;D

lemzip

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »

lol

typical

How much did one of those RDF cost? What model you got?

magicone

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »

lol

typical

How much did one of those RDF cost? What model you got?

Nova Pal  3 waveband Direction Finder, paid £35 for it . I had no idea how to use one but the guy who  created this website   --> http://www.angelfire.com/space/proto57/rdf.html actually emailed me an excellent guide as to how to use it correctly.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

Lemzip

[b]"Now i know you should tune to 612kHz however this REIN i can see in my bitloading on dmt. Should i tune the radio rather to this freq? Its roughtl 1375 to 1400 kHz£.[/b]

This may be hard to get over in words but, REIN (the actual electrical impulse noise) transmits at a frequency that can be picked up at 612Khz on the AM/MW Radio frequency bandwidth. It doesn't mean that because your bit-loading is suffering at the higher DSL frequency bandwidth that you should tune your portable radio to this frequency.

The 2 frequency bandwidths are completely seperate. As an aside, Fibre Optic isn't affected by REIN but signals are also transmitted through this type of cable at different frequencies, but again, this particular frequency scale is seperate to the radio frequency scale, or the ADSL frequency scale.

Is it making sense ?? :) You will only find REIN though by tuning in your portable radio at 612Khz, regardless of where the poor bit-loading occurs on your DMT graph.  ;D

lemzip

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

yep, thats all i needed to know.

Thanks, great that you are here on this site :)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »

Aw shucks ...  :-[ Cheers.

lemzip

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »

right

found a faulty street light (flickering) its directly under my line outside my drive. Didnt notice much noise but noticed a screech noise when walking over where 8 lines meet underground for my estate.

SNR has recovered now and the street light has stopped flickering, its still on though..will report it to the council could just been pot luck and its not causing any issues and my problem might lie elsewhere.

Just checking i have seen post saying that when using a AM radio for REIN. That the source is at a right angle from the length of the radio....can someone explain lol

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:37:33 PM by lemzip »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »

There is usually a ferrite "stick" inside the radio with a wire coiled around it. This picks up signals best along its length at right angles to it - i.e. sideways on the the source.

See e.g.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ferrite-rod-aerial-859

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2] 3